Should I give my pet?

evilwit

Disciple
Hey guys I have a 3 years old German shepherd.I love him a lot.He is my best buddy.Actually he is suffering from canine epilepsy and he gets attacks every month.Attack happens 9 to 11 times in a row.Before, the attack used to occur after every 15 days.But now it happens after a month.This disease can't be cured but can be controlled.But the problem doesn't end here.From few days he starts squeaking in 3 in the morning which disturbs my whole family.My parents are old and they cant sleep because of this.Every time after few days something happens to him.So what should I do?I love him but I love my parents too.Please advice.

If you love him then put him down.

There is no guarantee that the person you give him to will take good care of him.

Hey guys I have a 3 years old German shepherd.I love him a lot.He is my best buddy.Actually he is suffering from canine epilepsy and he gets attacks every month.Attack happens 9 to 11 times in a row.Before, the attack used to occur after every 15 days.But now it happens after a month.This disease can't be cured but can be controlled.But the problem doesn't end here.From few days he starts squeaking in 3 in the morning which disturbs my whole family.My parents are old and they cant sleep because of this.Every time after few days something happens to him.So what should I do?I love him but I love my parents too.Please advice.

get in touch with your local animal rescue groups. they will guide you in finding him a good animal shelter which is specifically for such distressed animals. Don't give up.

But the problem doesn't end here.From few days he starts squeaking in 3 in the morning which disturbs my whole family.My parents are old and they cant sleep because of this.Every time after few days something happens to him.So what should I do?
I can clearly see that people in your house are not dog lovers. Thats why all these excuses. raising a dog is like raising a kid. if you want him to behave properly you should spend some time and effort to train him. obedience training fixes all problems like chewing, squeaking etc... at the same time; spend time exercising the dog a tired dog dont cause much problems. on the other hand it is very unfortunate that he has epilepsy, but if you get him proper medication it should be controlled.

"Raising a dog is like raising a kid."

Never, Ever forget this. For this is how it is, and should be. Well said, booo.

A pet is not a toy so that you just throw away when your fancy is over it is broken (read ill).
Adopting a pet requires serious dedication and you must treat him like your family.
Would you send your parents to old age home because they are ill?
The dog here is need of you and he will always look toward you when in distress. He doesn't know anybody in the outside world beside your family. And when he is sick if you just give away him it will like killing him.
Sorry for the strong words but I couldn't resist.
Take him to a good vet. Treat him if all the doctors opine that he is beyond treatment put him away. That will be more humane than giving to a shelter and keep him suffering.[DOUBLEPOST=1423465174][/DOUBLEPOST]Edit......
Somebody left a spitz in Bangalore in the street because he had epilepsy. My cousin sister rescued him, treated him and he is now well and is living happily with her in US.

Don't euthanize him dude.
There are many groups on fb that can help.
I am a part of several and "Adopt A Pet" is the best. You will surely find someone who will be willing to take him in and help him. Or better you could get some help from someone and get to keep him with you.
Do check the group. Lots of animal lovers there

Thanks guys for your inputs.I actually thought a lot and when I thought to give him away,tears started coming out my eyes and I realized that I cant live without him.And i would like to tell you guys that his conditions have improved from past.attacks which used to come in 8 days is now coming after a month.and i hope that one day attack will come few times in a year.wish me luck guys.and once agin thanks for your suggestion.it helped me to take a right decision.Guys help me with this.I visited people for animal site and found a vet there in my city.Are PFA's vet good?

Last edited:
I am happy that you took the right decision.
1. get treatment
2. get training
3. spend time with your dog playing fetch. wear him out. sometime during the evening or after dinner. this will help him grow some muscles and you guys can sleep peacefully ;)

Nice [emoji4] finally a very wise decision.
Pets are like our family members. Even if we think of giving them to someone out, it's like giving away our bro sis and family..

Oh man i have a cousin with a dog like this.

i did not even know dogs could have fits :(

raising a dog is like a kid is what came to my mind too. Would you give away a family member ? no, you could not.

I imagine the depression would be worse than putting up with its condition.

I have 8 dogs. Men in our family are dog lovers. Women are not.

I will tell something that my dad still feels sorry about.

We had :( a Rottweiler named Julie. She was around 4 years old. She got a stomach disease. She couldn't eat. If she eats, she will puke or her poop will stick a lot. She got weak. Thin. The other dogs also got upset due to this.
They all got dull. My dad took her to the vet every week for around 3 or 4 months. Her weekly expenses came upto around 7k to 8k. Special diet, medicines, vet etc. She started to wail in nights. My dad has to get up. Bring it our house's front porch. (The kennels were in a kinda seperate compound.) Sit with her. She will sleep off. My dad will too. He is old, it was tough for him. The vet kept telling him to put her down. My mom too. Money was ok to ignore. But it took too much of a toll on my dad. Julie loved my dad. She always sit like leaning on him even she was well. She was a very very very kind and meek doggie.

In the end, he gave her a good bath. Put her with a leather leash and took her around 20 kms in our car to a estate with my mum. My mom said julie was like nuts in the car. she was happy. He let her out of the car and just drove off. Julie chased them for around a minute or 2 and then dad just went faster. From that moment to around 2 weeks.. my dad was like gloomy and sad. Never talked too much to others. My mom got sick of that too. She told him lets go and get her back. They went back. But they didn't found her. My dad promised himself, if at all such a case comes, they will die at our home only.

Raising dogs IS like raising a kid. Non dog lovers will never ever understand this.

very very sad to read this. It would be an better decision to put her down instead of leaving her in the wild and fend for herself while she is still ill.

Back