Budget 21-30k Should I go for 11th gen or 12th gen intel i5 processor(+motherboard) for upgrading my video editing pc?

Hekhun

Recruit
Hello,

I am building a budget Video Editing PC. I already have other components like nvme ssd, psu and gpu RTX 2060. Following are the options I am currently considering:

11th gen:
Motherboard : MSI B560M Pro-VDH Wifi https://www.primeabgb.com/online-pr...ro-vdh-wifi-intel-b560-micro-atx-motherboard/
CPU- Intel i5 11400F

12th gen:
Motherboard: Gigabyte B660M DS3H AX DDR4 (Wifi) https://mdcomputers.in/gigabyte-b660m-ds3h-ax-ddr4.html?sort=p.price&order=ASC
CPU- Intel i5 12400F

I would like to know if I should really go for 12th gen as DDR5 RAM is still very costly and given the DDR4 motherboard I am buying, I won't be able to take its benefit even in near future. I am wondering what extra value does 12th gen brings as against 11th gen given my use case.

Also, I am open to other better options as well.
Thanks

Hello,

I am building a budget Video Editing PC. I already have other components like nvme ssd, psu and gpu RTX 2060. Following are the options I am currently considering:

11th gen:
Motherboard : MSI B560M Pro-VDH Wifi https://www.primeabgb.com/online-pr...ro-vdh-wifi-intel-b560-micro-atx-motherboard/
CPU- Intel i5 11400F

12th gen:
Motherboard: Gigabyte B660M DS3H AX DDR4 (Wifi) https://mdcomputers.in/gigabyte-b660m-ds3h-ax-ddr4.html?sort=p.price&order=ASC
CPU- Intel i5 12400F

I would like to know if I should really go for 12th gen as DDR5 RAM is still very costly and given the DDR4 motherboard I am buying, I won't be able to take its benefit even in near future. I am wondering what extra value does 12th gen brings as against 11th gen given my use case.

Also, I am open to other better options as well.
Thanks
I have heard good things about 12th gen so that should be something you should go for.

Go for the 12th gen processor with DDR4 motherboard. DDR5 will bring benefits when RAM and board manufacturers learn more about the architecture and will be able to tighten timings. Also buy a processor with iGPU if you can. in case your RTX2060 dies, UHD730 has enough grunt to do video editing

12th gen is too good right now. About 12-13k for motherboard, about 17k for i5. About 10-40% better performance than 11th gen, depending on requirement. And yet, power efficient.

And who knows, you might get a used compatible i7 or i9 in 3 years for 15k, and it will be a great upgrade again.

I would go with the 12th gen, given how much better it is when compared to 'embarrassingly bad' 11th gen. About RAM, I thought OEMs have released mobos with DDR4 support in India. The second best option for you would be the Ryzen setup. You can easily get a B450 board for under 8k and you can search for someone selling Ryzen 5 3600x or 5600x.

Go for the 12th gen i5, don’t worry about DDR5 coz DDR4 mobos are comparatively cheap and 3600 CL16 DDR4 RAM sticks will most likely suffice your editing reqs.

If you want fast export times, it is best to get a good GPU. Otherwise encoding can take hours.
That is true. But we surely don’t need to spend on RTX given the prices are sky high.

I have a GTX 1070 strix and for a 10 min 4K video with high bitrate and multiple transitions/effects, PP2020 takes roughly 7 mins to export.
I’ve seen CPU and RAM being the bottleneck in my case, not the GPU.. YMMV :)

That is true. But we surely don’t need to spend on RTX given the prices are sky high.

I have a GTX 1070 strix and for a 10 min 4K video with high bitrate and multiple transitions/effects, PP2020 takes roughly 7 mins to export.
I never said RTX is needed. Any GPU with hardware encoder works, Intel quicksync, Nvidia NVENC and AMD AVC

You don't need one per se but for example NVENC also improves along with GPU generations so it's upto you which gen NVENC features you can forego and which matter to you. So if you're doing HEVC encodes newer might give you something specific you want(like Bframes)

I guess you can look for better CPU... for Video editing more cores the better!
how about a i5-12600KF with those extra efficiency cores?

Back