Should I shift to WIn 7 64bit

Well, from the time we started working on computer, a friend of mine made great fantasy of 64bit OS, and since then I was willing to use it (unknowing about whats so great in it :p)

I had recently shifted my main HDD from comparatively slow one to a new piece....Hence would be moving my OS to new one..
Thus was giving thought of using Windows 7 64bit...

This would also give me a flexibility of increasing ram anyday later without a worry (currently I m using 3GB)

Would like to know, should I shift to 64bit Win 7.. Is it really beneficial and a worth above win 7 32 bit.??

my usage of softys is Adobe (Photoshop CS5 +bridge) & Canon software for photo processing stuff, Internet browsing+downloading softys, some burning tools, plus those regular music+movie viewing softys..

System config is AMD Phenom 9650 Quad core processor (64bit capable, as seen in CP ), Asus M3N78-EM mobo, 3GB ram, No really dedicated GPU till now - just on board Nvidia Geforce 8300 :-\

Thanxx in advance..:)

You'll find noticeable performance increase only if you use 64bit applications too (i.e. 64bit Apps on 64bit OS), In fact, there might even be slight performance overhead running 32bit Apps on 64bit OS because of WoW64.

Since Photoshop CS5 has a 64bit executables too, you might find very slight increase in performance (mainly can be attributed to larger register sizes when your CPU is running in 64bit mode).

(..and obviously it can support more RAM [i.e. greater than 4GB], which obviously increases performance, especially in Photoshop and similar applications)

If you are planning to add more RAM ie total > 3.2GB, then 64bit Win7 makes sense, else you are better off with current version. One more thing to worry about is whether these softwares work on Win7 64bit.

Yes you should. Compatibility with softwares and drivers is very good these days. Been using it since almost a year without any issues.

Yeah you should shift to windows 7 64 bit as you will be upgrading ram in the future but before shifting to 64 bit check if you use any software which doesnt have 64 bit compatibility.

Windows 7 64 bit will feel a lot faster than 32 bit if you go in for 4GB+ RAM. I felt such a vast improvement in responsiveness when I switched over to 64 bit. Been around 8 months now and the machine's still running like new :)

best point about 64 bit windows is those stupid pendrive viruses don't work properly in it. the viruses are not allowed to execute when you attach the device to system. so if you want safety, jumping to 64bit is a good choice.

I've never faced any software problem with x64 Windows 7 but have faced a couple of driver problems. Be sure that every device you install has x64 Windows 7 or Windows Vista drivers available....

Hmm.. Seems like there are enough recommendations here to convince me for 64 bit... :)

Will get it done soon...

BTW, next upgrade I am planning for is Graphic card (to make way for IPS panel)

Shifted to Win 7 64bit :)

Just small query.. recently installed Photoshop and now it give 2 options PS 32bit and 64bit (after installing) Which one is better to use??

From now on, whichever software you use, use the 64-bit version only. Not that the 32-bit version wont work on it but you will get maximum performance. Only if the software doesn't have a 64-bit version available should you install the 32-bit one. No matter how big or small the software is, like even for winrar you should install the 64-bit version :)

If you happen to use plugins on PS there are some plugins which happen to only offer x86 bit support. Then and only then you'd have to close x64 and switch to x86 version of PS. PS x64 has ability to manipulate images which are over 4 GB in size. It'll be a feat in itself to bloat an image to that size. But I usually come across images with sizes well over 4 GB. Here x64 bit makes life so much more easier for me... :)

For Winrar, x64 is blazing fast compared to x86...

No matter what ppl say if u have a 64bit processor its true power can be harnessed only buy using a 64bit OS..
u can feel the difference in everything you do.
So i say go with 64bit!

Again small help guyz..

after shifting to 64bit OS now its time for me to remove my old OS from my old HDD...

should I simply format the partition or any other method is opted for it..

Back