Should I switch from Nexus to HTC One X - Why?

montsa007

Adept
Am using Galaxy Nexus right now, running Paranoid Droid ROM. Works pretty good for listening to music, but when watching movies I feel there can be improvement :(.

My main uses are listening to music and watching movies (As I commute almost 2 hours a day, I can utilize this time for movies). Barely use the camera or browse that much, but having them handy is good imo. I don't play any games on the phone, phones aren't for gaming :yes:.

I have seen a demo unit and the screen of One X is bang on!, blows nexus out of water :rofl:.

My greatest concerns about HTC One X are
-Non Removeable battery (What if it dies after 2 years, or if I opt for a gray market one, and it does in a month or so?)
-Heating issues (Heard a lot that its ass gets hot if you love it too much)
-The price will come down further with the launch of its sibling One X+?

I had taken the nexus for 25k, and a month later its slashed by 5k LOL.

One X owner's opinions would help :) or would you recommend something else like Xperia S?

P.S. - Hate Samsung S3, so don't bother recommending that plastic toy, and please don't start ranting (atlease in this thread) about me calling that plastic toy a plastic toy just because you own it.

I have one. Its a good phone, but I don't see the need for spending so much money on a new phone seeing your usage. Why not buy a 7" tablet like the nexus 7. that would be much better for watching movies. Plus you won't have to worry about running out of battery on your phone.

Why carry a phone and a tablet in local trains of mumbai :s? (My daily commute is from Goregaon to Churchgate, and it'll be pain in bum to carry a tablet as I don't carry anything with me) + am very much comfortable watching movies on a phone (Have even seen full length movies on a Bold 3 without any rants)
I'm not sure if you have seen the crowd in local trains during the peak hours.

HTX one X has a 1600 mah battery which is too low IMO. It wont last the whole day for you I guess .

I would suggest to stick to what you have and buy an Extra charger maybe ?

I would not suggest moving to One X.

I was in the same situation since my office is 45 kms far(one way journey), so instead of going for HD Screen phone i opted for a Tablet.

I have bought Moto Xoom tablet from yamaraj in TE Buy & Sell thread.

Now it has replaced my phone completely for multimedia & even desktop at my home. Using it for surfing, movies, video calling, online gaming etc.

Believe me its better to have a tablet, to go for 7 or 10 incher, first get hands on Tablet by urself.

Just go to mall & see the demo of few tablets, their specs, UI, feel factor, memory, 3G availablity & most importantly price(U may consider ROM development if u r tech geek).

Phone is a very much required device in day to day life but they fail in terms of battery upon heavy usage of internet & movies.

IMHO go for Nexus 7 tablet or Nexus 10 tablet(if you can wait).

I have not used apple device so can't comment, but iPad Mini may suit your usage.

If it is only for watching movies i recommend it and you can expect faster updates fast from htc and a good developer community for it. In fact i liked it more than my dad's S3.

But you may have to consider these points also if you go for a new one
1.Lesser resale value & not much takers for high resale price.
2.WIFI issue can be there as many have reported. (I did not have any such)
3.Battery lasts one day @ atleast 20 % easily with gprs on and it may last 5 to 7 hours with continous wifi and screen on for more than 3 hours. With a movie it wont last much as this super lcd. Go for an external battery charger :D

If you can get a good 2nd hand deal for that.

Note : I had used an one x bought from TE member and sold to a TE member

@haris5sani
You must be travelling in a car or a bus where it isn't as bad as mumbai local trains (Do a google, there's no space to keep your phone in front of you, hence keeping a tablet is out of question, except for thecase that you are seated which doesn't happen every day) hence am not into a tablet.
@hareshr29
Yeah am looking for a 2nd hand deal as it isn't available officially and doesn't make sense to buy a new one when old one in great condition is available for little less (as there's no warranty both are the same :p)

Called up my dealer and he says 22-23k for a used one and 27k for a new one (White color with 32 Gigs storage), he didn't have a used one so am waiting for him to get one. ALso waiting for my sony tablet to sell as i plan to use that funds for the 'ex'

Last edited by a moderator:
haris5sani
You must be travelling in a car or a bus where it isn't as bad as mumbai local trains (Do a google, there's no space to keep your phone in front of you, hence keeping a tablet is out of question, except for thecase that you are seated which doesn't happen every day) hence am not into a tablet.
No I am travelling by Delhi Metro, mine is direct journey, no worry to change the train & i got the seat oftenly.

BTW Screen of Galaxy Nexus & HTC One X are both HD & roughly same(0.05 inch difference)
Only diff. is of Samoled & SLCD.
Samsung Galaxy Nexus I9250 vs. HTC One X - GSMArena.com

U r emphasizing on movies(no hifi games, no good camera) So it would be better to go with Note I or Note II.

U cant carry Whole 7 inch tablet but you can carry a phablet, better to go with Note II IMHO.

if you travel and your main purpose is to watch movies,then i suggest you to wait(also since you want to watch movies opt for 5+ inch phablets,obviously,so ONE X is a no-go),why?because MANY phones with 1080p displays(mind crunching eye pooping 440ppi) will be launched in q1-q2 2013,the HTC butterfly has already been announced and you can always count on Samsung to blow people away with their galaxy s.x line of phones.(Rumors of sony pablets with 1080p displays are also adrift).so if you are going to be splurging on high-end phones,once the next gen flagships release you are going to feel massively left behind(there are going to be quad cores,even octo-cores with ARM's big.LITTLE configuration kinda like tegra),so i advice you to wait for something like the HTC butterfly or galaxy SIV or some other flagship,also the oppo find 5 with quad core apq8065 snapdragon SoC And a 5-inch 1080p display is going to be launched for 499$ contract-free in beijing next week....dunno how to get it in india but this will be the best phone to watch movies with...(just download 1080p movies to go with the display)

Agree with #haris5sani .. why not go for Note 2? I understand that you don't like the plasticky feeling of Sammy's phones but it is probably the best phone out there (again if you are Ok with the size). I have just ordered a Note 2, replacing my current Nexus as I fell in love with the screen and I browse/read a lot using the phone..

@sudhanshu123
Interesting, I'm not a big fan of Samsung S II, II or IV as they give a cheap feeling, no doubt they are feature packed, but can you imagine driving a nano with an engine borrowed from ferrari? (I hope you get my point)
@ashttrix
Not at all comfortable carrying a brick as I said in my 1st post :), need something pocket friendly.

The One X+ is kinda pulling me towards itself :p

- - - Updated - - -

No I am travelling by Delhi Metro, mine is direct journey, no worry to change the train & i got the seat oftenly.

BTW Screen of Galaxy Nexus & HTC One X are both HD & roughly same(0.05 inch difference)
Only diff. is of Samoled & SLCD.
Samsung Galaxy Nexus I9250 vs. HTC One X - GSMArena.com

U r emphasizing on movies(no hifi games, no good camera) So it would be better to go with Note I or Note II.

U cant carry Whole 7 inch tablet but you can carry a phablet, better to go with Note II IMHO.

I don't get it so often mate, hence I am not so keen on a tablet. The diff between Nexus and One x maybe .05 inches, but have you looked at the screen of both together? (The One X looks more real as its more vivid)

I am not keen on note or tab as its pretty big for a phone, have even watched full length movies on a bold 3, never had a problem :). I'm not so keen on sony because they don't give a s hit for OS upgrades once they sell the device. Would have bought Nexus 4 if it were from Samsung or HTC but unfortunately LG has a bad rep in India LOL. Lets see what Q1 of 2013 has in store for me ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah i think i got your point exactly. Your feelings i can understand :p
Even i travel 4-5 days weekly from Thane to Dadar , and return from dadar by 5:30pm. And its hell to climb up in the train at that peak time even in 1st Class. Getting a seat is next impossible and standing you can't hold a tablet.
Was in same dilema , same mentality we dont need a huge device , tablets strict no for mumbai local's , i also was confused which to buy hence wanted a normal sized screen as in 4" or bit more..and the screen quality is the most important , bought a One X last week. Trust me the screen is all i wanted ! Not a pixel.

Samsung is cheap built. Only option i had was nexus and One X. One X wins hands on in screen comparison. Phablet's maybe a option for you bro....but again not more options in phablet's other than samsung. Buy a One X !

If the problem is just watching movies, u can overclock the phone while watching the movie then go back to default for everything else. Going from 1000 Mhz to 1200 helps movie playback with software decoder on my xoom .

Honestly the worst thing you want to do is carry such an expensive device on your person in a train / metro / bus. Get a SONY XPERIA S if you really want to change phones but then you will be downgrading in the software department to Ice Cream Sandwich (and update to Jelly Bean is only in Q2 2013) but that is okay because overall the phone is smooth and easy to operate.

Any screen-size over ~4.5" is a phablet / tablet for me as I cannot hold it comfortably for extended periods and not to mention you cannot operate it with one hand. So really no point going for super-outsize phones / phablets / tablets.

Getting a HTC One X (OR any outsize device) is not going to solve your problem (in my opinion).

There was a time when we thought nokia 1100 was a phone for a lifetime. Anyway coming to the point upgrade from Nexus to One X makes no sense. Resist the temptation of impulsive buying. You have a good phone. Hold on to it.

The screen size diff is only 0.05". Not much of a difference
I watch 720p movies on my Nexus and it plays them without breaking a sweat. Haven't tried 1080p, but i dont see any point in playing Full HD.
Regarding the colors. I agree with you on this. I personally like LCD screens. AMOLED colors are too artificial. Get a custom kernel and tweak around with the colors until you are satisfied.

Since you are not interested in tablets, i recommend you save your money.

Yeah i think i got your point exactly. Your feelings i can understand :p
Even i travel 4-5 days weekly from Thane to Dadar , and return from dadar by 5:30pm. And its hell to climb up in the train at that peak time even in 1st Class. Getting a seat is next impossible and standing you can't hold a tablet.
Was in same dilema , same mentality we dont need a huge device , tablets strict no for mumbai local's , i also was confused which to buy hence wanted a normal sized screen as in 4" or bit more..and the screen quality is the most important , bought a One X last week. Trust me the screen is all i wanted ! Not a pixel.

Samsung is cheap built. Only option i had was nexus and One X. One X wins hands on in screen comparison. Phablet's maybe a option for you bro....but again not more options in phablet's other than samsung. Buy a One X !
At last someone knows what it feels like to travel in trains lol, and I got the news that my office will be shifting to Dadar in 2-3 months, boarding a train from Dadar @ 6.00PM? worse than fighting for life in World War 2, I'm waiting for Jan-Feb 201 for new models to come, One X and One X+ are on the shelf though.
If the problem is just watching movies, u can overclock the phone while watching the movie then go back to default for everything else. Going from 1000 Mhz to 1200 helps movie playback with software decoder on my xoom .

Honestly the worst thing you want to do is carry such an expensive device on your person in a train / metro / bus. Get a SONY XPERIA S if you really want to change phones but then you will be downgrading in the software department to Ice Cream Sandwich (and update to Jelly Bean is only in Q2 2013) but that is okay because overall the phone is smooth and easy to operate.

Any screen-size over ~4.5" is a phablet / tablet for me as I cannot hold it comfortably for extended periods and not to mention you cannot operate it with one hand. So really no point going for super-outsize phones / phablets / tablets.

Getting a HTC One X (OR any outsize device) is not going to solve your problem (in my opinion).
No SOny man, they dont bother about OS updates once they sell their devices, all they do is bogus promises for OS upgrades, and laze around, my palm is pretty big, Nexus fits comfortably, tried an Xperia S too, fits very well :), also heard that the battery of Xperia's have loose motions..
There was a time when we thought nokia 1100 was a phone for a lifetime. Anyway coming to the point upgrade from Nexus to One X makes no sense. Resist the temptation of impulsive buying. You have a good phone. Hold on to it.

The screen size diff is only 0.05". Not much of a difference
I watch 720p movies on my Nexus and it plays them without breaking a sweat. Haven't tried 1080p, but i dont see any point in playing Full HD.
Regarding the colors. I agree with you on this. I personally like LCD screens. AMOLED colors are too artificial. Get a custom kernel and tweak around with the colors until you are satisfied.

Since you are not interested in tablets, i recommend you save your money.

Hmm I'm more inclined to holding on for now, flashing a new ROM to see whats fancy lol, the difference may be .05 inches or even .0001 inch, but the color quality difference is 'phenomenal', have seen both devices together and my eyes bled seeing One X's screen

worse than fighting for life in World War 2.

No SOny man, they dont bother about OS updates once they sell their devices, all they do is bogus promises for OS upgrades, and laze around, my palm is pretty big, Nexus fits comfortably, tried an Xperia S too, fits very well, also heard that the battery of Xperia's have loose motions.

I myself am pretty ticked off with SONY but whenever they come around to releasing their software it is simple, light and direct. No funky animations OR Sense UI shenanigans.

Battery life is variable, I find for a phone with a 1300 mAH battery and a dual-core SoC and a 3.5" screen, if the phone is being harshly it will get by ~4 -->8 hours of work (my XPERIA go). If you use it sparingly then I have had my phone battery last for over 4 days.

Also SONY is bolstering their 2012 XPERIA lineup with the T, V which can hold their own against competing devices.

Just my take on their work, you have the liberty of your own views on topic. Cheers!

Is the first comment inspired by CoD?

I don't get it so often mate, hence I am not so keen on a tablet. The diff between Nexus and One x maybe .05 inches, but have you looked at the screen of both together? (The One X looks more real as its more vivid)

I am not keen on note or tab as its pretty big for a phone, have even watched full length movies on a bold 3, never had a problem :).

Sorry can't quote, so copy pasting.

Before buying, please check difference
Samsung Galaxy Note II N7100 vs. HTC One X - GSMArena.com

I heard Sammy used new matrix(3 sub pixel per pixel) for HD samoled display this time for note 2.
Also split interface, S Pen, battery performance & other use full goodies in JBeaned Note 2 is unmatched.

Its available at 32500 rs @ super deals of homeshop18, Rest depends on u.

Back