CPU/Mobo Should I upgrade Mobo or CPU

girish78

Disciple
Hello Everybody

This is my first post and I am confused in deciding whether to upgrading my Mobo or CPU.:S

At present I am using a HP Pavilion m9060in model computer. I have installed XFX 8800GT OC edition graphic card and due to better cooling I have installed the Mobo in CM 690. Also, installed Thermalright Extreme for processor cooling and Thermaltake DuoOrb for GPU cooling. I have C2D 2.2 at present.

I am not getting great performance even though I have a good GPU. Somebody in Tom's hardware forum told me that my CPU is the bottleneck.

I need help in deciding what to do. I was thinking of changing the Mobo to Abit IP35 E or Pro so that I can OC my CPU. I plan to sell my HP Pavilion system in future for further upgrades.

Should I get a new Mobo or go for a higher CPU. Please advise:help: If new Mobo which one and if new CPU which one. I am on a tight budget but also want to get something so that I dont need to upgrade it soon.

Thanks in advance:)

New mobo means new pc ,means it can interfere with hp warranty,some body kindly confirm it :s,

btw for cpu u 8400 or q6600, go quad imo,
or
mobo gigabyte GA-EP31-ds3l , u can do little bit of overclocking on it !

EscSysRq said:
New mobo means new pc ,means it can interfere with hp warranty,some body kindly confirm it :s,
He mentioned installing a 8800GT OC card, CPU & GPU cooler along with a CM690 cabinet which has already voided the warranty (if any was present).

dude provide ur full config so we can help u out how much ram is there in ur system,also mention the model no of ur cpu dude.I dont think a c2d can bottleneck 8600gt

girish78 said:
Hello Everybody

This is my first post and I am confused in deciding whether to upgrading my Mobo or CPU.:S

At present I am using a HP Pavilion m9060in model computer. I have installed XFX 8800GT OC edition graphic card and due to better cooling I have installed the Mobo in CM 690. Also, installed Thermalright Extreme for processor cooling and Thermaltake DuoOrb for GPU cooling. I have C2D 2.2 at present.

I am not getting great performance even though I have a good GPU. Somebody in Tom's hardware forum told me that my CPU is the bottleneck.

I need help in deciding what to do. I was thinking of changing the Mobo to Abit IP35 E or Pro so that I can OC my CPU. I plan to sell my HP Pavilion system in future for further upgrades.

Should I get a new Mobo or go for a higher CPU. Please advise:help: If new Mobo which one and if new CPU which one. I am on a tight budget but also want to get something so that I dont need to upgrade it soon.

Thanks in advance:)
seems like you already installed lots of hardware to overclock the pc :hap2: ... plz mention all hardware u using and a approximate budget u wnt to spend on your new buy....

one thing surprises me that u already have installed a massive cooler for CPU without the chance of overclocking it :no: (though am not sure abt ur mobo).. even stock cooler do well for C2D run at rated speed....

Once I have built my dream system, I am gonna put all HP components back in HP Cabinet and sell the entire unit except the Monitor.

My system config :-

Mobo : Asus G33 Chipset. Hp blocked OC options :mad:
Processor : C2D 2.2
RAM : 4 GB Corsair 800 Mhz
SMPS : Corsair 450 watt
Soundcard : Creative Soundblaster XFI Extreme Gamer
HDD : Seagate 500 GB and Samsung 250 GB(HP provided this)
CD/DVD Writer : TSS Corp
GPU : XFX 8800GT OC edition

I have kept intact the HP SMPS, RAM, Cabinet and CPU heatsink. Once I have built my system I will put back the HP parts in HP cabinet and sell it off. Till then I have no choice but to use the Mobo, processor and GPU in CM690 cabby. The HP cabby is too small. I can put things back in HP cabby back in a manner that they wont even know about what I did. :)

In order to complete my dream machine I need a Mobo and Processor.

At the moment, what should i do to get better performance. Should i go for buying a Mobo or CPU is the question. I can use the Asus G33 till the time I get some moolah to get stuff. What should I upgrade now to get better performance.

Please advise.:)

if u dun wanto change board jus get an e8400/e8600 at 3/3.33ghz speeds at defaults..more than enough till u can add up additional upgrades or wait for nehalem setups to be in fair price range.til then a 3ghz c2d wud do just fine.

Do you know much will that cost me? I am on a tight budget and have around Rs 9000. Will e8400 will be great performance?

Can you suggest me Mobo+Cpu within Rs 9000. I want to OC the processor so I can go with 2.33 or so.

better get a E8400 for around 8k , if u change mobo the windows vista will stop working as it only works with HP motherboard .

girish78 said:
Do you know much will that cost me? I am on a tight budget and have around Rs 9000. Will e8400 will be great performance?

Can you suggest me Mobo+Cpu within Rs 9000. I want to OC the processor so I can go with 2.33 or so.

E8400 is a gr8 performer in games even at stock speed for your card... also u can opt for E8500 though slightly higher than ur budget but worthy the extra bucks

but if you want to oc get GA-EP31-DS3L + E7300 should be within 9K i think...

both options r suff not to bottleneck ur GPU so far...

Thank You buddies.

GamePagol any shop in Chandni you would recommend to buy the GA-EP31-DS3L + E7300. How about Abit IP35+E7300? Would that be a good combination? How much will I be able to OC with GB Mobo?

Thank You buddies.

GamePagol any shop in Chandni you would recommend to buy the GA-EP31-DS3L + E7300. How about Abit IP35E+E7300? Would that be a good combination? How much will I be able to OC with GB Mobo?

I am happy with my 8800GT at the moment.:) Also, I dont have the moolah to buy ATI 4850. I would like to buy a Mobo+CPU for Rs 9000. Can someone please advise if Abit IP35E + E7300 better than the GA-P31 Mobo +E7300 mentioned in this thread. I am looking forward to OC my CPU as well. Please advise.:)

junkiedogg said:
Dude, if you spend a bit more than 8800GT, you can get yourself an ATi HD4850. It will PWN the 8800GT any time.

do u even bother to read the posts made mate??..:no:

@TS at 8-9k bettter get the e8400/e8500 is more than enough.:) for games. your card wouldnt bottleneck. and for the vista thing as mentioned. jus stay with ur current board.

abit ip35-e would definitely be better than the g31 chipset. more overclocking features n headroom. i guess there are no memory dividers in g31-s2l so when overclocking rams do have important role. note abit has moved outta board business so warranty issue is there. better dont opt for it.

what rams do u have now??.gettin e8400 at 8k odd would assure u no bottlenecking and increased performance without ocing tension n cooling.

E7200/E7300 + Gigabyte G31 if your interested in OC'ing or get yourself an E8400(for no oc) but is your mobo compatible for 45nm with current bios.

Else just buy a Gigabyte G31 so that you can try OC'ing your current proccy

Back