Should Sachin get Bharat Ratna?

Ahh, don't get personal bro. Its my wish, what I do, whether I reply here or somewhere else. You don't have to go this level down to get my attention.

Even I can do such stuff, but I don't.

Nor do I am taking this personally. Its a forum, everyone's free to speak right ?

You created the thread but without siting the reasoning and that's what I wanted to know, why not ?

I really don't understand how age is a key factor in deciding whether he should get BR or not..

Personally though, I don't think he should get the BR. He is good but not completely deserving. He's played cricket that a nation has been interested in but that doesn't quite cut it for me. If success on the cricket field is what people are measuring it by then Kapil Dev should get one, MS Dhoni should get one, among other sports starts, P Gopichand should get one, V Anand should get one...

Anyway, I think BR should be for someone who has made some contribution - like discovered/invented something brilliant or made significant impact to the lives of the people of India. It's called Bharat Ratna for a reason FFS!

I really don't understand how age is a key factor in deciding whether he should get BR or not..
Just that everybody else had many more years left before even getting to be considered eligible. But a sports person's pro life is short.

Personally though, I don't think he should get the BR. He is good but not completely deserving. He's played cricket that a nation has been interested in but that doesn't quite cut it for me. If success on the cricket field is what people are measuring it by then Kapil Dev should get one, MS Dhoni should get one, among other sports starts, P Gopichand should get one, V Anand should get one...

Anyway, I think BR should be for someone who has made some contribution - like discovered/invented something brilliant or made significant impact to the lives of the people of India. It's called Bharat Ratna for a reason FFS!
It is awarded in recognition of exceptional service/performance of the highest order in any field of human endeavour.

-2011 definition

So no ranting about older BR holders but Sachin ?

There isn`t anything in India that does not involve stupid politics and their moves. Lets not get into it.There are many (not sure about them) who deserves BR but what Sachin has to do with them ? Money is relevant term but never felt so about Sachin, at least to me.

I take my previous post back, you sir seems to be quite a cricket fan..! At times could have been Sachin fan too...

I do wanted to know why the creator of this thread thinks no BR for Sachin, but I guess he is busy in picking free IOS apps...

Never mind...
Its okk.Its just that you pushed me back 14 years when my life only aim was to be one playing with this new BR recipient.
Why? He is not playing anymore. He is not going to add to his records anymore. So what difference does it make if he gets the award after 10/20/30 years, if all his sporting achievements are going to remain as they are?
But what if we give it now to dhyan chand or milkha singh.Somewhat it pus doubt in our mind that we were not sure they were the obvious choice to get it.ANd hence rules weren't bend for them.
And now for a cricketer we bending the rules for a game which not even 10 countries play including two major world powers.
Its all about the timing and changing the rule for the person. Its the BR which we are seeing what about the Kandivali academy which was taken as playground up-gradation and made an academy and all doubt were raised to catch the culprit via RTI shot down by just renaming it with the SR academy by the political ace Pawar and property siphoned off.Its how indirectly with such awards property and estates are build.

WHether Sachin gets its or anand gets it or even shoaib malik gets it to marry sania.My house dont get 10 paise with all this B$.One should understand how it works for other.But i would had been happy if dhyan chand would had got it.It would have atleast helped their family.

We already have Khel Ratna which honors people in the field of sports. Why a new award? Is it to say people getting Khel Ratna have not contributed to the sports or through sports to India? Leave it to the politicians to unnecessarily muddy the waters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rajiv_Gandhi_Khel_Ratna
The Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna (RGKR) is India’s highest honour given for achievement in sports.

Last edited:
Why? He is not playing anymore. He is not going to add to his records anymore. So what difference does it make if he gets the award after 10/20/30 years, if all his sporting achievements are going to remain as they are?
Leave it. Haters will be haters. However I do agree that there are very few other persons who might have got BR already, but that's not the point. Sachin's cricket career is over, as a sportsman he has done more than enough to be rewarded with BR, no questions asked. Period. Other legendary sports persons have agreed with it also, so it's basically childish to try to establish negative factors. However given most of the Indian's mentality I shouldn't have been surprised to see a stupid act like this.
Losers will always be losers.

OT:
Losers will always be losers.
Haters, I can understand but using "losers" doesn't justify your post. They are simply sharing their opinions. If you cannot accept the opinions of others why even post in the first place?
Seriously I don't get some of the members here. It's as if you want to start a flame-war out of every damn argument. The whole point of a debate is lost when you lose your cool and start using inappropriate words. Everyone stick to topic please.

OT:

Haters, I can understand but using "losers" doesn't justify your post. They are simply sharing their opinions. If you cannot accept the opinions of others why even post in the first place?
Seriously I don't get some of the members here. It's as if you want to start a flame-war out of every damn argument. The whole point of a debate is lost when you lose your cool and start using inappropriate words. Everyone stick to topic please.
Lol mate. Everyone is sharing opinions. You found my words inappropriate, but those words were perfectly appropriate from my point of view. Besides I am not a two faced person, what I say might sometimes sound boastful but hell that's not my concern.

I believe Sachin has added another dimesion to the world cricket.His contribution is unparalleled.He is seen as the epitome,which everyone will cherish forever.
So this answers....:)

Name one political party that wouldn't want Sachin on their side? The government is honouring Sachin with the Bharat Ratna to ensure that he remains indebted to the current ruling party. If he does accept the award then he will have no choice but to seriously consider teaming up with them. The government has painted a nice big target on the back of Sachin's head with the Bharat Ratna.

All it takes is one mistake on Sachin's part directly or indirectly, which will most certainly blow up into a nationwide scandal, for the credibility of the award to be hit for a six.

Isn't Sachin a Congress MP already? I think I saw some news channels passing remarks on him on his first day in RS or parliament some months back.

Isn't Sachin a Congress MP already? I think I saw some news channels passing remarks on him on his first day in RS or parliament some months back.
He was recommended by the UPA (ala Congress) to be made MP under the presidential quota. Under that quota he is nominated to the post by the President.

This was on today's newspaper editorial page
Bharat Ratna: it’s all about correct timing
Though seemingly disparate, one cannot help discerning subterranean similarities between Sachin Tendulkar’s Bharat Ratna and 2001 Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru’s hanging.

In both it was the timing that emerged paramount. Afzal Guru was hanged in an abrupt manner as the UPA

government was in a tight squeeze (it still is) because of the third successive victory of patriotic Narendra Modi in Gujarat and the people in authority needed to show they were doing something on terror. The hanging was preceded by another execution and hence they could go as part of the same package.
As for the Bharat Ratna, the timing aspect was a more compact affair. For media buyers Brand Tendulkar needs to be kept alive even though Player Tendulkar will be missing on the playing field. And what better occasion to award this good cricketer than on the day he is retiring from the game!

And in both there was a shroud of secrecy and then a sudden explosion. Here one cannot help suspecting that the authorities were powerfully influenced by the analogy of the sort of nervous (or otherwise) excitement that bomb blasts in a big city can drive in. Just a clever interpolation — bring in the excitement, excise the fear — and the job is done. Money won, and so did the media, which inevitably has a stake in such matters.

Ill-timed awards have caused resentment in the past. Normally the Bharat Ratna for Subhas Chandra Bose would be perfectly in order, but when the freedom fighter got it in 1991 there was considerable anger at the award coming too late.

Ustad Vilayat Khan refused the Padma Vibhushan because “junior” artistes had got higher awards. Surely the objection would not have been there had he got the award 25 years earlier.

How things happen or happen when they do are questions both journalists and historians feel compelled to answer. But alas, explanations are often inadequate because the variables both groups concern themselves with are not as well-behaved as the motions of heavenly bodies.

Hence we cannot answer why the Bharat Ratna could not be given to Major Dhyan Chand when India won the Olympic gold in hockey for the last time in 1980, the year after he died. Or what happened to Sunil Gavaskar after he broke Don Bradman’s record? If the rules can be tweaked to give sportspersons the award now, they could have been tweaked then.

The Bharat Ratna aligns with capital punishment in a very major respect. Both should be above debate and question. And herein lies the most important similarity between Afzal Guru’s hanging and Tendulkar’s award. Both are highly questionable.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/news-...ll-about-correct-timing/article1-1155375.aspx

A long time ago, there were days when i wondered what if Sachin played for a nation other than India, say Australia or even England. There's no doubt that he'd have been a cricketing maestro. But would he've still been as famous and as rich?

if he was playing for them then
1) he would've made double the runs he has because he wouldnt have to face McGrath & Co but instead would get to face our much poorer bowlers
2) he would've been categorically slotted as the best batsman ever, even greater than Bradman. this would have been stated as fact & not up for debate
3) he wouldnt have pulled down by his own countrymen

Respect and Humility is soo overrated in India.

really?! i'm, OTOH, so glad we give it a lot of value. when i hear players like david warner making such disrespectful statments about opposition players as "they're afraid & weak.." etc i'm proud that our players never talk about opposition like that whether they're losing or winning. even maligned players like Virat would never speak like that. & do you think its easy to be as respectful & full of humility like SRT is ?! imagine being adulated the way he is, being called God by so many people... most normal people would fly in the air & actually start believing that after a point. i know few people who havent achieved 1% of what he has but the minute they tasted little success they thought (wrongly) they were God's gift to mankind.

Why not? He inspired 2 generations of young gully cricketers and is equivalent to Don Bradman right? I say Sachin is greater than Don because Don played very few matches compared to our Master Blaster.

Back