Show Off | HTPC Setup | Need lighting recommendations.

am wondering how you switch to the tatasky stb from the hdmi? for the pc, are you using a tv tuner or using the composite ins of the tvs?

Gannu said:
Pune'ites coming up with l33t HT setups. Nice. Congrats man. :thumb:

:eek:hyeah: !

Dark Star said:
AFAIK XBMC has an option for TV viewing never tried that but you can hope that it will work.. For remote you can trust good 'ol LIRC :D

Ok, I will try that out anyway.

FaH33m said:
congrats LT .that looks like a neat HT setup . Just get some kickass 5.1's now and yeah a lazyboy too ,you will be all set :D.

Yeah man! Am looking for the 5.1, did enroll at htvision.com, got some advice about going for yamaha and other stuff, however nothings concluded so far.

Rave said:
am wondering how you switch to the tatasky stb from the hdmi? for the pc, are you using a tv tuner or using the composite ins of the tvs?

The TV allow me to switch from AV <-> HDMI (HTPC) <-> HDMI(Handycam). Am using the composite ins of the STB to the TV tuner. So what really happens is: I have a toggle to switch the output of STB either directly to TV or to HTPC (which then routes via HDMI). So when I wish to record, I toggle the input to HTPC. When my mom wish to watch TV, she doesnt want the haggles of HTPC, that time I toggle the switch to TV. Simple setup suites everyone.

cricfan said:
that apt is classy...suuper stuff boss..

Thanks man!

Guys can you recommend me some sweet 5.1?

Needs:
Movie:50%
Music:45%
Games: 5%

Thanks
~LT

Niiice aesthetics there! The backdrop completes the HTPC. Wow.

Btw, LT I'm in Pune too. I won't mind catching up for a feel of this beauty. :D

Cheers!

Payne

The TV allow me to switch from AV <-> HDMI (HTPC) <-> HDMI(Handycam). Am using the composite ins of the STB to the TV tuner. So what really happens is: I have a toggle to switch the output of STB either directly to TV or to HTPC (which then routes via HDMI). So when I wish to record, I toggle the input to HTPC. When my mom wish to watch TV, she doesnt want the haggles of HTPC, that time I toggle the switch to TV. Simple setup suites everyone.

err i dont get this point, can you please elaborate? and are you using the TV's remote for the switching?

currently i have some what of a similar setup only with more equipment connected to it, so i have to use 4-5 maybe even 6 remotes at times to get everything working :p

was wondering how you are managing, or using some universal remote of some sorts, coz i myself was thinking of picking up a Logitech Harmony soon

Rave said:
was wondering how you are managing, or using some universal remote of some sorts, coz i myself was thinking of picking up a Logitech Harmony soon

Why dont you get a learning universal remote from dealextreme.com, its around 25$

Thanks Guys!

-D.Payne- said:
Niiice aesthetics there! The backdrop completes the HTPC. Wow.

Btw, LT I'm in Pune too. I won't mind catching up for a feel of this beauty. :D

Cheers!
Payne
Sure sure!

H@cKer said:
congo mate awesome setup.Now get a good 5.1 setup

Yup already am searching for it: http://www.techenclave.com/audio-zone/recommend-5-1-setup-134104.html, let me know if you have something in mind.

Rave said:
err i dont get this point, can you please elaborate? and are you using the TV's remote for the switching?
Right, Samsung remote has this button called "Source" I used that to toggle between the input sources.

Rave said:
currently i have some what of a similar setup only with more equipment connected to it, so i have to use 4-5 maybe even 6 remotes at times to get everything working :p
Hmmm can you elaborate more? I might end up in same shoes, hence better being aware of it.
Rave said:
Hmm I am also inclined towards it... but I am not pretty sure of it being usable. Also am going for a AV receiver, so I will go for the remote post purchasing it.
PiXeLpUsHeR said:
Visually this looks amazing :D
What about he guts of the machine... please do tell us what you put into it :p
Sure, here it is: http://www.techenclave.com/show-off/my-htpc-setup-humble-one-but-116927.html.

An AV receiver is pending as mentioned above.
~LT

Ur company pays you royally :eek:hyeah: Sweet paint and wooden cabinet... BTW anytime u plan a meet at ur place.. just send me a map and time I will be there.

djmykey said:
Ur company pays you royally :eek:hyeah: Sweet paint and wooden cabinet... BTW anytime u plan a meet at ur place.. just send me a map and time I will be there.

Shhhh dont tell anyone... yup sure! I need to make sure my wife is not around that time. ;)

~LT

a learning remote comes no where close to the harmony, scz will vouch for the same

@LT

i have the series 5 samsung lcd, so i am very familiar with how this thing works and hence the doubt

thing is, i have an xbox 360, wii, pc, 2 set top box and possible another download pc in the future will be connected to the lcd

now, 2 stb are connected to av1 and av2, 360 is connected to the vga and pc is connected to hdmi2

the source sequence is, press source once and ou get tv, then press it again u get av1, then av2, then component if connected, then pc and then hdmi1 and hdmi2, depeding if they are connected or now

since i have everything connected, i need to press the bloody source button multiple number of times to get to the input i want since this thing doesnt have dedicated buttons for the same, and this gets damn annoying

a harmony would be of excellent use here, you just need to program it once and map everything, so that when you press TV for instance on the harmony, your tv is automatically changed to av1 or av2, whichever u program, your stb is switched on and so is your audio source, in my case the mx5021s

press pc or whatever button you map for it and tv switches to pc input and stb and the rest of the things are switched off

list of remotes currently that am using is

2 remotes for stb, 1 remote for tv, 1 remote for mx5021 and not using a few things so 4 is the least lol

OMG !!!
I mean how in the living hell do you justify all those purchases to your wives / parents... God only knows.... I have been trying to push my parents to allow me (read with my money) to buy a TV (CRT not LCD) and they are like why do you need a TV... you already have a PC... I was like :| whats the relation... and you ppl are buying stuff worth a lakh and above...

PS: No offense meant; am still a kiddo at buying stuff so pardon me if I hurt anyone :)

nice setup! I would love to come see it too! i think i stay close to where u work :p near IBM.
i have created something similar! but the HTPC is right on top, cause its the most beautiful one u have seen in India. No jokes:p will put up a thread soon! I could use some help in setting things up :p

PS: Sorry for the thread hijack :p

Rave said:
a learning remote comes no where close to the harmony, scz will vouch for the same

@LT
i have the series 5 samsung lcd, so i am very familiar with how this thing works and hence the doubt

thing is, i have an xbox 360, wii, pc, 2 set top box and possible another download pc in the future will be connected to the lcd

now, 2 stb are connected to av1 and av2, 360 is connected to the vga and pc is connected to hdmi2

the source sequence is, press source once and ou get tv, then press it again u get av1, then av2, then component if connected, then pc and then hdmi1 and hdmi2, depeding if they are connected or now

since i have everything connected, i need to press the bloody source button multiple number of times to get to the input i want since this thing doesnt have dedicated buttons for the same, and this gets damn annoying

a harmony would be of excellent use here, you just need to program it once and map everything, so that when you press TV for instance on the harmony, your tv is automatically changed to av1 or av2, whichever u program, your stb is switched on and so is your audio source, in my case the mx5021s

press pc or whatever button you map for it and tv switches to pc input and stb and the rest of the things are switched off

list of remotes currently that am using is
2 remotes for stb, 1 remote for tv, 1 remote for mx5021 and not using a few things so 4 is the least lol
Ok, now I understand your issue... hmm there is no straight single solution to this though. In that case there is no other help but the logitech ones, even I am thinking of another STB, but yup the older one will have to go.
djmykey said:
OMG !!!
I mean how in the living hell do you justify all those purchases to your wives / parents... God only knows.... I have been trying to push my parents to allow me (read with my money) to buy a TV (CRT not LCD) and they are like why do you need a TV... you already have a PC... I was like :| whats the relation... and you ppl are buying stuff worth a lakh and above...

PS: No offense meant; am still a kiddo at buying stuff so pardon me if I hurt anyone :)

Hmmm, convince them : If you want me to be found at home, allow me, else I wont be. :D

countrock said:
nice setup! i have created something similar! but the HTPC is right on top, cause its the most beautiful one u have seen in India. No jokes:p will put up a thread soon!

Ahhh, not possible atlest in my case. Mine every decision is very heavily based on WAF. Also, its understood between me and wife: Get all the gizmos you want, but the appearance should be simple and non daunting. It shouldn't look like a command center beaming with many leds and controls.

I guess now I understand and value that. As said earlier, stuff that really matter should be only exposed. Whenever I get a good remote, rest be assured that everything will be hidden. Just like in theatre, you are just visible with the screen and not the behind gizmos... thats what makes the experience.

~LT

Back