Show your House Interiors

My 2 cents.

Ready-made furniture is costly and will never give you the quality and last as long as the custom built one. Stick to custom built one. The ready-made furniture shops focus more on designs and brand name. I've visited my share of shops for this - all ranges and at the end of the day, your local carpenter with the help of a good interior designer can make the same thing in lesser cost and having better quality. I saw a beautiful centre table in one of the extremely niche furniture shop in Lower Parel's Phoenix complex (it has a string of exclusive shops for interiors). It was around 1.2L !! We came home, my friend spent 3-4 hours on his AutoCAD software and he came up with a working specification of the exact same centre table. The execution cost came up to around 7-8K with labour charges.

One of my very close friends is an interior designer and I was fortunate enough to roam around with him in shops (branded and obscure) in Mumbai and Surat for both my interior work and other projects.

Read a few magazines like 'Better Interiors'. They also have a site having old articles and some snaps. There is one more mag whose name I do not remember but read both of them and you'd get some starting points.

@thebanik - This is completely OT and take it just as an opinion and nothing else. If I were you, I'd still go ahead and invest that money in getting a new property. Investment v/s luxury is a no-brainer for me at least. But it may be different for you.

@Techhunter - That pseudo-traditional look is out. Contemporary is in. If you want to go traditional, go completely traditional but then carrying off that traditional look is not easy for daily living.

some wonderfull points kneo there.

Here are my take on decorating ones house.

I did my house about 3 years back, No Interior Designer, No Architect.

First I visited all the houses in my society, to get the fair amount of ideas (And better what not to do with your home).

after that I outlined my requirements on a paper (Like a flowchart of a computer program).

Then I went through designs of Inside - Outside Magazine, and multiple books of Fevicol.

Then i sat with my carpenter to decide which of the shortlisted designs fit with the civil work of the house.

Then got the desired outcome with my requirements within a reasonable budget.

But as kneo emphasized prefixing the budget is must.

Now some points to ponder:
If you live in costal city, (Like I do in Surat and there is known termites problem), get Pest control treatment of your house before even flooring is done.

Then in costal cities there is high chance of salt corrosion as kneo said, its quite different from water seapage, so if you are working couple like we are then make sure you line your cupboards with Marbles instead of Plywood and cover all the walls of innerside of cupboard with Glaze tiles.
So in effect wood work for your cupboards will only be for the doors and frames.

If you are not much into wax police designs prefer fully covered woodwork with either mica or veneers, and some open places can be painted. Helps a lot in cleaning and does not fade over a period of time.

Hope it helped. :D

PS : If someone is interested in budget
I have house of 4BHK, I did furniture in Hall, 2 bedrooms and a Kitchen plus some additional cupboards. (total spending on wood work furniture including sofa) 3.25 lakhs.

Electrical work : changed partial to moulded switches and boards and some decorative lights 20k

complete painting work including exterior with Asian Apex Ultima 1.1 lakh

Kitchen I got as complementary from my cousin who runs Evershine Interiors (one of the leading manufacturers of kitchen sets). (It would have cost me 35k if i had to purchase)

Total : 4.9 lakhs (10% above my set limit of 4.5 lakhs)

I avoided doing an additional bedroom as kids room because at the time of interiors we did not have any child, so later my little daughter is ready to use her own room we will go as per her likings :D

medpal said:
some wonderfull points kneo there.

Here are my take on decorating ones house.

I did my house about 3 years back, No Interior Designer, No Architect.

First I visited all the houses in my society, to get the fair amount of ideas (And better what not to do with your home).

after that I outlined my requirements on a paper (Like a flowchart of a computer program).

Then I went through designs of Inside - Outside Magazine, and multiple books of Fevicol.

Then i sat with my carpenter to decide which of the shortlisted designs fit with the civil work of the house.

Then got the desired outcome with my requirements within a reasonable budget.

But as kneo emphasized prefixing the budget is must.

Now some points to ponder:
If you live in costal city, (Like I do in Surat and there is known termites problem), get Pest control treatment of your house before even flooring is done.

Then in costal cities there is high chance of salt corrosion as kneo said, its quite different from water seapage, so if you are working couple like we are then make sure you line your cupboards with Marbles instead of Plywood and cover all the walls of innerside of cupboard with Glaze tiles.
So in effect wood work for your cupboards will only be for the doors and frames.

If you are not much into wax police designs prefer fully covered woodwork with either mica or veneers, and some open places can be painted. Helps a lot in cleaning and does not fade over a period of time.

Hope it helped. :D

PS : If someone is interested in budget
I have house of 4BHK, I did furniture in Hall, 2 bedrooms and a Kitchen plus some additional cupboards. (total spending on wood work furniture including sofa) 3.25 lakhs.

Electrical work : changed partial to moulded switches and boards and some decorative lights 20k

complete painting work including exterior with Asian Apex Ultima 1.1 lakh

Kitchen I got as complementary from my cousin who runs Evershine Interiors (one of the leading manufacturers of kitchen sets). (It would have cost me 35k if i had to purchase)

Total : 4.9 lakhs (10% above my set limit of 4.5 lakhs)

I avoided doing an additional bedroom as kids room because at the time of interiors we did not have any child, so later my little daughter is ready to use her own room we will go as per her likings :D

Doc some picts plz?

Back