Simple app or way to record day to day expanses in android

JMak

Yeah.. I am at it ;)
Adept
Hi
I have an android phone and an iPhone.
I wish to have a very simple solution to noting or recording day to day expanses just like a petty cash book.

Is there any app for that, especially for android.
Utterly simple thing tbh

Thanks

Do you want to manually enter data or do you want the app to create the entries by reading your SMS? I used an app called MoneyView some years back.

Do you want to manually enter data or do you want the app to create the entries by reading your SMS? I used an app called MoneyView some years back.
Manual entry will be predominant, too many cash transactions

I personally use Monito in android. It has simple UI, no unnecessary features. You have to manually add transactions (I like this ).

Does it need to be an app? Won't an excel sheet suffice for manual entry? If you need an app, then there are a lot of expense trackers/money managers. Take a look at https://expensesmanager.in/ but also check out their data security
Well even a sheet can do..
So should I install Google sheets for that
Tbh just last night I debloated my phone and Uninstalled sheets and slides etc

Okay got sheets back
Could you share a excel sheet having date and months headings where entries can be done

Last edited:
Well even a sheet can do..
So should I install Google sheets for that
Tbh just last night I debloated my phone and Uninstalled sheets and slides etc
Google sheets ticks your requirements for Manual entry and tracking. You can add the required formulas for reporting. It's free and secured by your google login. It's available cross-platform. Free apps will have ads or some kind of catch.

Cannot answer your question but I have definitely used few apps to try and note down daily expenses. It was ok at first and getting to know where money went was good to know but then eventually I wasn't noting down things daily and lost interest.
Then there was this thought that what am I gaining by putting these expenses in some app / sheet or whatever. This will not help me reduce my expenses in any way as I don't think we are spending anything on any unwanted stuff. Major expenses were things like electricity, milk bill and such. Basically, most things where you cannot cut expenses. There may be stray splurge on some luxury item or experience which is acceptable.

Cannot answer your question but I have definitely used few apps to try and note down daily expenses. It was ok at first and getting to know where money went was good to know but then eventually I wasn't noting down things daily and lost interest.
Then there was this thought that what am I gaining by putting these expenses in some app / sheet or whatever. This will not help me reduce my expenses in any way as I don't think we are spending anything on any unwanted stuff. Major expenses were things like electricity, milk bill and such. Basically, most things where you cannot cut expenses. There may be stray splurge on some luxury item or experience which is acceptable.
Have to agree on this. Using the tracker for a few months only revealed that my major expenses were regular utility and basic needs that cannot be trimmed. The only other value add was payment reminders for any manual payments.

Google sheets ticks your requirements for Manual entry and tracking. You can add the required formulas for reporting. It's free and secured by your google login. It's available cross-platform. Free apps will have ads or some kind of catch.
Just made a sheet and will use for next few weeks
Thanks for the help.

I use this android app to track my every day expense. give it a try.
At the end of the day/month, i can able to find out where i have spend the most(Fuel, groceries, shopping etc)

Monefy Pro - Budget Manager and Expense Tracker
Android version (Play store link)
ios app (App store link)

Same for me. Religiously used it for 2 months, making an entry right after any payment, keeping track of every rupee, paid by what medium, is the notes and coins getting tallied with the balance remaining. The stats generated was cool, kne could see the percentages, changes from month to month spending, etc., but then it just became a chore. Didn't work for me.

Btw, the app I used is Money Manager. Created various categories, subcategories. Had set it up quite extensively. Lots of customization. Ability to take pics, notes per transaction.

I actually purchased pro versions (no ads) of 3 apps. One of them had family sync too - sync across devices (now Google doesn't allow that anymore) which was the most useful of the lot.

These are mainly to get an idea of where your money is going. Once you get a general idea, there is not much of a benefit to careful jotting down all the rupees.

These are definitely useful for those who can't control credit card spending, have landed in neck-deep loans, etc.

I religiously used google sheets for a few years. It got super bloated after a year with all those entries and formulae, charts and what not. Android google sheets is very half arsed app. It becomes tiring to use it.
I'd advise using apps mentioned by the others here.

These are definitely useful for those who can't control credit card spending, have landed in neck-deep loans, etc.

Exactly. These apps are probably more helpful to people who spend without thinking and consider credit card limit as their personal bank and max it out. For disciplined spenders, these apps don't actually help. I would love to be wrong and am willing to hear someone who considers themselves as a conservative spender and telling us how these apps are useful.
Some people just want to jot down the expenses and no harm in that but I am just trying to understand value proposition.

Some people just want to jot down the expenses and no harm in that but I am just trying to understand value proposition.
Some are spending towards business. And it'd be a great help to know how much one is spending as it could be shown as business expense.

I use Walnut app which pickups up data from your SMSes. It auto categories for you too, you can change and setup up categories. It uses AI intelligence.

Disciplined spenders don't need these apps
Careless spenders don't care about these apps
So, these apps are making a fool out of remaining people who (seems to be more in number ) have OCD about their money.
Its better to make a broad level budget and spend time in more useful things

Hi
I have an android phone and an iPhone.
I wish to have a very simple solution to noting or recording day to day expanses just like a petty cash book.

Is there any app for that, especially for android.
Utterly simple thing tbh

Thanks
Any to-do list app can do needful, TODO by MS can too..
Best reason to use same is compatibility betwen android/apple/any OS

Back