Budget 51-70k skylake build?? or 5th gen intel build?

stavan_d

Disciple
  1. What is your budget?
    • 50-60K
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
    • Mobo - Asus M4A88T - LE
    • RAM - 4 GB XMS Corsair
    • HDD - 1 TB Seagate HDD + 160GB Seagate HDD
    • PSU - Corsair TX 650
    • Case - NZXT Gamma
    • Monitor - Samsung B2230
    • KB+ MOUSE - Logitech Media Combo
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • HDD - 1 TB Seagate HDD + 160GB Seagate HDD
    • PSU - Corsair TX 650
    • Case - NZXT Gamma
    • Monitor - Samsung B2230
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - Intel i5 (Skylake) 6500 3.2 Ghz
    • Mobo - Z170 chipset, but please suggest which company give good After Sales Service
    • RAM - 8GB (4x2)or 16gb (8x2)(if budget permits), Gskill or Corsair or any with good warranty, how are Crucial RAMs? Are heatsinks on RAMs compulsory? I am not planning to OC the RAM, and Crucial seems to have the cheapest base RAMs.
    • SSD - SanDisk Plus 240gb?? or Samsung 840/850 EVO 250??
    • GFX - any decent card for 1080p resolution gaming, as I'm a casual gamer and just will be playing on a 22" monitor with high settings for current games and at least medium settings for future games.
    • HDD - Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB or Seagate Hybrid 2TB SSD (if I dont buy the SSD)
    • CPU COOLER - please suggest a decent one around 2k.(not planning on OC the CPU anytime soon)
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • None
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Mumbai
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • Nope
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Download rig, 16x7 operation
    • Casual gaming
    • watching HD movies
    • photoshop/lightroom editing
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • None ( mostly good brands with good warranty and After Sales Service)
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • NFS 2015, Assassin's Creed, Deus EX : Mankind Divided, GTA V, etc
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. 1920 x 1080 for both
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • not immediately
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Win 7 64bit or
    • Win 10 64bit

• CPU - Intel Core i5 6500 3.2 GHz -15800,
  • Mobo - Asus H170 Pro -9900,
  • RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB(4GBx4) DDR4 -10700,
  • SSD - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB -8500,
  • GFX - Gigabyte GTX950 2GB -13400,
  • CPU COOLER - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 Evo -1700.
  • TOTAL -60,000.
All above prices are taken from primeabgb.com

Last edited:
  • CPU - Intel Core i5 6500 3.2 GHz -15800,
  • Mobo - Asus H170 Pro -9900,
  • RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB(4GBx4) DDR4 -10700,
  • SSD - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB -8500,
  • GFX - Gigabyte GTX950 2GB -13400,
  • CPU COOLER - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 Evo -1700.
  • TOTAL -60,000.
All above prices are taken from primeabgb.com

Thanks for the reply.

I think TX3 Evo is no longer available (it wasn't when I called them last time), and I want to get a Z170 mobo. I know the biggest difference between Z and H is the overclocking part and like I said I might want to do that later on... plus the price difference is about 1-2K.

Which mobo in Z170 chipset would you recommend? Asus is good but what about MSI,Asrock and Gigabyte boards?

I actually prefer MSI over Asus, but that's basically a coin flip and you can't go wrong with either. For some reason, I haven't had an Asrock board ever, consciously or unconsciously, I've not bought a motherboard from the said manufacturer. Gigabyte can do well in a pinch but, as mentioned earlier, I'd say MSI or Asus would be your best bets.

I actually prefer MSI over Asus, but that's basically a coin flip and you can't go wrong with either. For some reason, I haven't had an Asrock board ever, consciously or unconsciously, I've not bought a motherboard from the said manufacturer. Gigabyte can do well in a pinch but, as mentioned earlier, I'd say MSI or Asus would be your best bets.

@Soliloquy thanks for the reply. my X6 build had a MSI board, which worked perfectly for 3 years, but after then 1 fine day it stopped and couldn't be repaired. So I bought a Asus board and that thing conked off in 14 months(warranty was 12 months), and again non-repairable and now, i'm almost forced to buy a whole new system.

So as per personal experience, I would like to use MSI, but there aren't many options/features in 1151 socket mobos as there are in Asus. But my own bad experience and a friend having similar bad experience with his Asus board a couple of years back, I am very much confused for these 2 brands.

And so i wanted to know views of people who have used Asrock and Gigabyte boards.

just adding my 2 cents:
while you're shopping around for a cpu, do keep an eye out for a 4th gen cpu like an i7 4790k as you might get it for a really good price and the performance difference between the older haswell and newer broadwell/skylake cpus isn't big enough to really notice in normal usage.
basically you could save a lot of money while only taking a 10-15% performance hit.

just adding my 2 cents:
while you're shopping around for a cpu, do keep an eye out for a 4th gen cpu like an i7 4790k as you might get it for a really good price and the performance difference between the older haswell and newer broadwell/skylake cpus isn't big enough to really notice in normal usage.
basically you could save a lot of money while only taking a 10-15% performance hit.

@Crapmypants Thanks buddy... this is exactly why i started this post... wanted to know how much would I sacrifice if i went for 5th gen CPU and will it be any cheaper??

the reason for considering Skylake is DDR4 RAM. I know I wont be doing another upgrade for at least 3 year and DDR3 is already on its way out. so don't wanna be stuck with DDR3 when DDR4 would have been mainstream. plus many RAM Companies give "Lifetime" Warranty, buying DDR3 at the end of it's life, is it worth it?

DDR3 kits cost is pretty much similar to DDR4 kits.

if there are Haswell/ Broadwell CPU and mobo combo, which support DDR4 then I would surely buy that, if it is considerably cheaper than Skylake.

Hi @stavan_d,

In my thought, the future proof rig has the latest CPU and the new MOBO with the latest technology. For most future proofing rig use the overclocking CPU to gain the upper limit velocity as per game or usage demands.

In short, for future proofing, your main focus on the CPU and MOBO.

Just a suggestion, based on your budget; the normal CPU like Intel i5 4th or 5th generation CPU k series and MOBO with Z97 chipset overclocked will fulfill your requirements.

Hope it helps.

broadwell should have ddr4 support. haswell unfortunately doesn't to my knowledge.
basically any cpu that is run on intel's new 100 series chipset should support ddr4.

Last edited:
Broadwell runs on z97/h97 boards and only supports ddr3. Skylake & Haswell-E supports DDR4.

Happy New Year to all

@Chaos yes... haswell -e processors and skylake is having ddr4 support, but again... the other option is more expensive than skylake.

I had to restrict my budget to under 50k

so... right now, I am considering

i5 6500 processor with MSI Z170 PC Mate or Asus Z170 P motherboard approx 28-29k
cpu cooler 3000 approx
8 or 16 gb ddr4 RAM 2400 Mhz from Kingston or Corsair (which is better??) 5000(8gb kingston single stick)
and 2 TB HDD from seagate for Rs. 5300
and SSD 256gb roughly 7000 (company not finalized)

total 49300 with 8gb RAM (add another 5000 for 8 gb RAM more)
do i need 16gb RAM or is 8 GB enough??
are there any places i can cut the price and transfer that to some other hardware??

dropping the plan for a gfx card as of now, will consider in 6 months

please help me finalize guys. will be buying the system next week.

Don't know much about boards but MSI screwed up bigtime for an RMA of my frends 660 Ti.

Back