Sleeping Dogs - Discussion Thread

Try countering when 2 of them gang up on you. :p

I can easily take out the rest of the posse without breaking a sweat. How do you perform the round-house kick? Is that present by default?

Roll over? How? They can be grappled, but only once they are dazed with a proper counter move. The ground slam they perform, takes a massive chunk of my health and if I get caught in their follow up kick, I'm screwed. :(

Roll over their back is a move you can unlock. It's good when you are stuck between the thugs and want some space. Also, tackle the other guys first if possible and then concentrate on the heavies.

For those heavy thugs, better use melee weapons if you have any. They go down fast with few swipes.

Ah, I thought so. We collect them and bring them back to Sifu right? Where do you find those statues anyway?

psygeist: I haven't unlocked any special move yet. I guess I'll have to roam around the city this weekend and grab some collectibles. There are no weapons lying around in the Martial Arts club, so that's out of the question.

Ah, I thought so. We collect them and bring them back to Sifu right? Where do you find those statues anyway?
Find these throughout the main storyline..(pubs, house etc).

psygeist: I haven't unlocked any special move yet. I guess I'll have to roam around the city this weekend and grab some collectibles. There are no weapons lying around in the Martial Arts club, so that's out of the question.

I never saw heavies getting trained by Sifu. There's an illegal fight ring nearby Sifu's training center. I fought till 6 waves and won the round. I think you were talking about that ?

Yep. That's the one. It's right after you drop off Amanda.

I suppose you are using Xbox controller. It should take some time to learn the tricks but you will eventually go through that.

Also, remember to check if any other contact number is available on your mobile. Call those number first rather than the main quest numbers. You will get some good perks (all health shrine visible on map, camera on map, briefcases on map etc).

I love the tracking system in this game. It's very user friendly. Everything is pretty much available on the map, except for the hidden collectibles of course. The face, cop, triad and main story missions are all listed on the map. When do we get access to the Triad missions? Can we purchase any healing items/herbs to be used during an on-going mission? So far, everything I have purchased, is consumed on the spot. :(

I love the tracking system in this game. It's very user friendly. Everything is pretty much available on the map, except for the hidden collectibles of course. The face, cop, triad and main story missions are all listed on the map. When do we get access to the Triad missions? Can we purchase any healing items/herbs to be used during an on-going mission? So far, everything I have purchased, is consumed on the spot. :(

Collectibles will be visible as a reward once you start dating Amanda, that bar girl, Not Peng and others.

I guess there are no healing items during fight scenes. But before going to fight you can consume eatable to increase regeneration rate and damage stat.

You haven't started working with Winston ? There starts your triad missions.

I have only completed the first 2-3 missions and didn't see anything poping up on the radar for the triad missions. I got the cop missions however.

Where do you find those statues anyway?

They are scattered around the city. And will show up on your mini-map or the main map. After you press 'select' on the controller to bring up the map, press 'X' to show only the statues and the health shrines. Ofc this will start showing up only after completing the first few missions and the ability is rewarded.

Collected all the Jade statues. :D

Turns out most of them can be collected while doing some primary quests or cop-based quests. Only the remaining few needs some wandering around. And I've resorted to using a taxi for distances more than 1.5km. That's just too long and takes some time. A taxi OTOH charges only 310$ (distance no bar) and reaches the destination in an instant. :p

80% story progressed, after clocking 11 hours of gameplay.

Completed a lot of drug bust missions. Got my cop level up to 4. Just a few more Jade statues remain. Unlocked quite a few move sets from Sifu Kwok. And thanks @psygeist for the "roll over" tip. That move is quite useful and it helped completed the Martial Arts club at North Side with ease. :)

The karaoke song "I fought the Law" was so freakin' hilarious. I had a difficult time with it, using the controller. Had to switch to the keyboard for getting a good rating. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Combat has a slight learning curve and it has a sort of lag where in you ll have to key in your move a fraction before to get things right, am so good at it right now can take down 20 at a time. :D

The leg breaking move, and the stun kick move are my favourite, gives me a guilty pleasure when executing them, esp the ending slow mo bit, and also diving from a bike/car in slow mo and shooting, never get tired of that!

Complete the game. All out of love was awesome Karaoke song.
@Ethan_Hunt
Escape from The Building part is the most awesome thing in this game. Overall a good game but not upto the GOTY nomination. I still feel that it was not engrossing and except for Jackie I didn't care for anyone.

For heavy thungs, try A and then X, flying kick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Completed the game this afternoon after a marathon session and had a blast. The last three missions were kick ass! :D

I loved the progress of the storyline although it did become a bit predictable towards the end. Clocked 13 hours and 42 mins. The cop upgrades were at lvl 7, the Triad at lvl 9, the face adv. at lvl 3 (that's right a three since I did not bother with those missions; became a bit boring from the start and decided to skip them), completed all the 4 cases and health upgrades stood at 70% with 37 health shrines discovered. Sucked at gambling since I did not know how to play Mahjong. The camera angles were a pain during driving or riding a bike since it tends to switch to the front almost instantly when we happen to reverse the vehicle. Combat was awesome especially with the melee moves unlocked from Master Sifu - above all the environment kills. They were just brilliant and there were a whole lot of ways in which the opponents could be finished without letting them do a scratch on Wei. Reminded me of The Punisher there! The voice acting was done quite well and so were the level designs based on Hong Kong. Folks who have been there before will be pleasantly surprised and reminded of by a lot of things in the game. The MTR was missing however. The sound tracks were okay - nothing great but the visuals after the HD patch were much better and boosted the overall IQ.

Overall a very good game and a good TP overall. Most sandbox titles do not disappoint and there are a whole lot of things to do, a lot of errands to be completed, driving, riding, enjoying the landscapes, carjacking, free running, pissing off the opponents and cops, sing karaokes, participate in cockfights, join some random fight club, bust a squad, participate in street races, helping the NPCs, so forth and so on. The game did not make me feel bored at any time and that's a good thing. Good job United Front Games and Square Enix.

PS: Don't bother with the LONG credits sequence. There is no post-credits sequence in the game.

Fantastic game! Had more fun with it than what I had while playing Gta4. Clocked around 20hrs, story was decent enough, although the ending could ve been better. Finished side missions about 50-60%.

Back