Slumdog did it !!! AR Rahman snatches 2 Oscars

great .... rahman deserves it, actually to comment if this was his best work or not is difficult cause non of us work in the music scene , so chill guys

Saw the whole show... I was up whole night working, stayed another hour up just to catch up the show... man what a brilliant show these people put up. Worth losing a sleep over. I was even shouting each time Slumdog was picking up award (my neighbours must been thinking what's going on :bleh:)

well no doubt it great that they bagged all these awards but i think lagaan had to put up a harder fight to get to the oscars
its harder to swim thru the foreign category

still its good for indian industry i guess

mt 2 cents

saumilsingh said:
Why :p? It wasn't an Indian film, it was just based in India.

Exactly. Do you think there is even a remote chance that this would have won if it was made by an Indian? Or that any Indian film in the future has a chance?

The less said about the film the better. From what I've heard, It only looks at the seamier side of Indian society and portrays it in an extremely negative light. The fact that people are going ga-ga over it is beyond belief. Have we no shame?:mad: :mad: :mad:

The music was certainly great and deserved it
The movie, meesa have my reservations, but nevertheless

What I am worried about is quotes like:

ut this is certainly the best moment for any Indian

which is basically a pointer of things to come
The headline (rather half the front page) of tomorrow's newspaper will comprise of this news
And so would the coverage of most channels where they'll rave on and on abt Rehman and Indian cinema for days to come

*tongue firmly in cheek*
Vaise, Dev D deserved the Oscar more :p

Congrats to Rahman for making us proud. Like most others, I too believe that this wasn't his best music.. there are hundreds of other songs which are way better than Jai Ho or O Saya, but those never got any recognition because they were made for Indian films.. Lets consider these Oscars for ARR as recognition for his achievement since the early 90's.

P.S: Thanks to Subhash Ghai.. If it were not for him, Jai Ho would have been in Yuvaraj as just another Bollywood song. :p

SharekhaN said:
I dont see why are we happy at such displays of foreign acceptance.

For all cheering like this, we just look like a bunch of wannabes.

True.
Why can't we take pride in our awards or striving to win something that portrays India. Eve worse when our TV channels make it the biggest news of the week.

Edit: although i do agree that our own awards are to be blamed. eg Filmfare awards, our best for years, have been shocking for some years, this year included from the looks of it.

did u guys see the best songs performance.. it was just overwhelming to see the oscars suddenly filled up with girls dressed in sarres and our very own ar rahman singing o sayya and jai ho ...... u knw a mixture of hollywood and bollywood.. it was just awesome..... slumdog got what it deserved..jaaai hoooooo

ROCKFELLA said:
Slumdog didnot do anything! A R Rehman got the awards coz his music is excellent.

+1 to comment...Also there were many better movies then Slumdog.
Why people so happy,it was not Indian movie.

"JAI HO" is good song,deserved reputation.

Checksum said:
Don't understand all the hate messages for Rahman. Slumdog isn't his best, I agree. But he deserved the Oscar. If not for Slumdog, then for the rest of his work. I'm happy that the world has finally recognized his genius.

Well done A.R.Rahman!

My thoughts exactly :)
And i dont mean his recent work.. i mean his work from 1993-95 ..

virus32win said:
"JAI HO" is good song,deserved reputation.

If we gave awards to everything that was good, there'd be a lot of awards to pass around..

lol i find it funny when people say its a proud thing as an Indian and bla bla

Yes its good for AR Rahman that he won an oscar which he totally deserved, but the music in slumdog was pretty average by his standard and the movie itself was rubbish

the movie won an oscar because oh look it shows the truth and portrays the "real india" according to them, which is nothing but a land of snake charmers..

and another reason being it was not made by an Indian, heck if this deserves an oscar then pretty much all of Karan Johar's movie deserves an oscar with people talking in crores and having private jets, as if slumdog shows or rather portrays India in anyway, then so does that k3G movie.

Even the bloody name gets on my nerve actually, i kinda get a feeling the name is a generalization of all the Indians whove made it big. And we indians go about "Jai Ho"ing the movie, how stupid, or maybe am just paranoid :p

Dark Star said:
Donno how the picture is , don't even wanna know. I don't see movie :) But this is certainly the best moment for any Indian :D Indian Cinema for the first time bangs OSCAR Award :D

Don't want to seem picky but,

THIS IS NOT INDIAN CINEMA.

and it's not that great a movie anyway.

Back