Smartphone (budget 20-25k)

quixand

Skilled
Questions:-
1. Q: Budget?
A: 20K-25k

2. Q: Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?
A: Bar

3. Q: Preferred display type?
A: Super AMOLED

4. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: Open for recommendations.

5. Q: Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: Touchscreen

6. Q: Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.
A: Require atleast 5MP camera, Front facing camera and Flash is must. HD Video recording. Should support Flash and should be able to play other video formats.

7. Q: Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Having a hard time with this.

8. Q: Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
A: 3G.

9. Q: What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
A:
- My travel time is 1-1.5 hrs everyday and I need to surf/read/listen to music/watch a video in this time. Text reflow is preferable.
- Music Player needs to be awesome. I pride myself in keeping my music collection up to date and in order so a winamp like app would be great which let me sort/stash mp3s in whichever way I want.
- Pretty, Fluid UI. I dig the WP7's interface/ lists.

10. Q: Any other requirements?
A: Don't require dual sim/require dual sim/etc.

11. Q: If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
A: HD7, LG O2X.

I'm having a hard time deciding whether to get an Android or WP7. If somebody could compare 2 phones side by side camera-camera, music player and other features it would be helpful.

Any other phone? Please let me know. Regarding SGS2 - I'm not sure if I'll be able to do justice to its specs. What does one do with the SGS2?

What does one do with the SGS2?

mostly drooling, but really, not much else.

Well, I would say get Android for one(if you are into surfing, WP7 ain't still the ideal platform, as benchies still show WP7's browser to be horribly slow and outdated(trust IE to be that)...

Besides, I guess you really liking music should make you stick to Android. So that if you dont like one music player, you can keep changing till you get the one that suits you best. Easy customizability.... far more open than WP7.

I beg to disagree,except for galaxyS all android phones sound rubbish.

Android market has some very good music players,but they will not improve the s.q and will drain the battery faster than the stock player.

My experience with winmo7 is very limited(used winmo 7 in hd2 long back and it was very buggy) and I hate the zune software(no better than itunes)

If you are not symbian hater look into N8 or E7 too.Sound quality is just brilliant in those two.

Basically if you want a good phone with decent pmp capability your options with android are very limited(galaxy S only).

My previous two phones were from htc(hd2 and desire)and both of them sucked royally when it comes to multimedia.Desire hd is probaly the worst of the lot,a friend of mine had it and you cannot watch a full length movie on it with a single charge and the updates have not made any improvement in the battery department.

Hmm.. ok

That virtually rules out all HTC devices unless somebody has anything positive to say about it. I must admit that I am completely smitten by the HD7 though. I saw somebody use it and it's UI was second to none.

What about the LG O2X ?

And can someone bring me upto speed on the S^3 anna update? Are there any new Nokia phones being launched because for me E7 is out and N8 is gettable but less preferred.

Yeah I know but the pool to choose from is weird.

Galaxy S has an SCLCD version under 20K, SAMOLED does not have flash, Arc does not have front facing camera, Nexus S does not justify it's price tag.

Might as well rename this to "how not buy a smartphone".

edit: realized there is a review section *embarrassed

comp@ddict said:
I dont get it, sound rubbish? Just plug in a new pair of headphones(synheisser CX series) and stop the complaining is what I would suggest.
CX series?Buddy I have both IE7 and IE8 from the Senni`s stable(also SM3,arguably one of the best IEM),these babies bring out the faults of the player even more.

Try a decent headphone or iem(something better than cx series or sony MDR series)with a htc and nokia,I am sure you will appreciate the difference.

Mobiles are usually very bad source for music,but few(like N8 or galaxyS) are indeed very good!

Don`t trust me?Fine!Ask our resident audiophiles santosh ji and faheem ji!!

quixand said:
Yeah I know but the pool to choose from is weird.

Galaxy S has an SCLCD version under 20K, SAMOLED does not have flash, Arc does not have front facing camera, Nexus S does not justify it's price tag.

Might as well rename this to "how not buy a smartphone".

Man, only if this forum had a review section, mods listening?

Every gadget will have its Pros n cons. The thing which helps us choose is, how big are the Pros and how bad are the cons according to our requirement.

Under 26.9k (the price of O2X), everyone will suggest you to stick with Galaxy S because:

Price is too good.

Audio quality is extremely good.

Camera quality above average (Even though it lacks flash)

Has front facing camera

red dragon said:
CX series?Buddy I have both IE7 and IE8 from the Senni`s stable(also SM3,arguably one of the best IEM),these babies bring out the faults of the player even more.

Try a decent headphone or iem(something better than cx series or sony MDR series)with a htc and nokia,I am sure you will appreciate the difference.

Mobiles are usually very bad source for music,but few(like N8 or galaxyS) are indeed very good!

Don`t trust me?Fine!Ask our resident audiophiles santosh ji and faheem ji!!
Well, as long as I get to hear the background and all the words in the lyrics, I have no qualms.

I suggest Galaxy S or Wait for iPhone 4 to come out....

I have tried Galaxy S and must say, the Experience is great... Battery life is very good(2 Days)... Much Better than any Android Phone..

Gingerbread Update must even increase backup beyond 2 days...

Only Con is No Flash for Camera... Nothing else

sato1986 said:
Every gadget will have its Pros n cons. The thing which helps us choose is, how big are the Pros and how bad are the cons according to our requirement.

Not really, these are overlooking some of the most basic features expected in a smartphone today. No cam flash is sacrilege. How am I supposed to shoot pics at night? Happydent leke? :)

What about Dell phones? Venue anyone?

Venue had some bad reviews..

Did you look into nexus S?I have not even seen it,but read many good things `bout it.

And seriously!N8 is a great option,the camera is just brilliant,so are the multimedia capabilities.The usb support is awesome too.

quixand said:
Not really, these are overlooking some of the most basic features expected in a smartphone today. No cam flash is sacrilege. How am I supposed to shoot pics at night? Happydent leke? :)

What about Dell phones? Venue anyone?

:rofl: Nice one.

But, No front camera for video calling in a 25k smartphone (Eg: Dell Venue) is nothing less than sacrilege either. How will one make use of 3g, whose most popular feature is Video calling. Zero alternative.

While nightshot mode is still available in Galaxy S which makes enough use of already enough night lights (moonlight, clublight, ambient lights) until and unless one wants to click pics while playing dark-room :p

See this discussion will again come to personal requirement because the smartphone market is offering different compromises in different phones.

nokia N8 is the best option for you but the only problem is the laggy or slow user interface, the touch experience is not as good as ios,webos,WP7,android. but i have heard that this problem will be solved by the PR3.0 update.

Back