"Smartphone Cameras Will Be Superior to SLRs by 2024" - Sony

PoBoy

Skilled

Associated presentation materials point to Sony’s belief that higher performance camera systems are being developed that are increasing the sensor size and combining that with better image signal processors (ISP) in high-end smartphone models — Sony expects the average size of high-end sensors to double by 2024. These two factors together with what it calls “quantum saturation” and artificial intelligence processing (computational photography), Sony believes that interchangeable lens cameras (ILCs) will be left behind by smartphone technology.

It's mid 2022 and even an amateur with a DSLR takes better pictures than a pro with a phone camera. The only reason phone camera photos look decent is because of advancement in post processing algorithms. In other words, it's the software which is perceptibly superior. However, the level of detail visible in a DSLR photo with 24 mpx sensor is still unmatched by a 60 mpx phone camera. And that's because when the software is done doing its job, all it has done is obscure tiny details to make the photo appear smoother.

I will not believe this particular claim. Although, I will say this, majority of the population doesn't care. Phone cameras have reached a level where they can take really good pictures. And it has some software tricks which are really hard to replicate with a DSLR. For instance, my Pixel 4a takes amazing low light pictures. I wouldn't be able to replicate it with my skills even if I were to sit with a tripod for half an hour, take multiple pictures, and then spend an hour stitching them together in photoshop.

Another change is, and this is just my opinion, these days majority of pics are viewed on smartphone screens which are smaller (than computer monitors); unlike in the past when pics were viewed mostly on computer monitors. And, of course. many people are too lazy to even rotate their phones when viewing a landscape pic ;-)

When I realised this, and strangely it took a while, I even stopped sharpening my pics because I doubt it makes a difference on a phone screen. Combined with the fact that the images I post are like 800x600 or 1024x768.

So for people like me what Sony said is kind of true.

In low light situation, my Redmi 7s beats my Samsung NX1000 hands-down.
Therefore I don't find the claims hard to believe - smartphones will beat the DSLRs in the coming time, soon.
The camera is, most likely, not superior. For low light photos, the phone would be taking multiple photos (possibly a few in grayscale), and stitching them together. If you applied the same algorithms on pictures taken on the camera, results would definitely be better.

And what is the purpose of SLR lens?
Everything from macro to telephoto

Then there is xenon flash to freeze things in a way a smartphone never could.

Now you can trigger these flashes but only if your phone has a xenon flash.

When people say phone can replace a SLR they are referring to mostly ideal lighting conditions.

Smart phones have already beaten the dumb SLRs. It's only some edge cases where SLR still excel.
Next fight will be with mirrorless professional cameras. AI photography is just getting started.

Smart phones have already beaten the dumb SLRs. It's only some edge cases where SLR still excel.
Next fight will be with mirrorless professional cameras. AI photography is just getting started.
Let me know how acceptable it is for wedding photographer to use a phone instead of SLR to cover a wedding :)

What about optical zoom ? What is the max a mobile can offer. I wonder what nature photographers and birders have to say.
The in-place and post processing AI algorithms in mobiles are, no doubt, fantastic. Even my wife's old Pixel 2 clicks fantastic pics which my Sony mirrorless is jealous of.
I’m waiting for a day when camera makers would go super creative with post processing software embedded in the SLR camera itself. That would be the true evolution of SLR.
Not in the camera but you can include something like this in your post processing workflow.

Wedding is an edge case. I haven't done single wedding photoshoot in my life. Hell I haven't even done single wedding yet.
If you expect to get paid then you need the appropriate gear.

Professional use isn't an edge case.

The more basic argument is a generic multipurpose device will always be at a disadvantage to a dedicated device with just one purpose in life.

1:43 I don't think it's going to really take over or replace any existing camera it's just a very interesting new way of shooting

;)
What about optical zoom ? What is the max a mobile can offer. I wonder what nature photographers and birders have to say.
The in-place and post processing AI algorithms in mobiles are, no doubt, fantastic. Even my wife's old Pixel 2 clicks fantastic pics which my Sony mirrorless is jealous of.

Not in the camera but you can include something like this in your post processing workflow.
I think they can come close to compact cameras. The Samsung ultras can do 10x along with Chinese competitors.

Nokia's 1020 could do 3x lossless zoom back in 2013

The advantage here is you can zoom while keeping a larger aperture. With optical zoom the more you zoom in the smaller the aperture becomes.

So lets in less light and becomes harder to work with in low light.

The flip side is you lose lens compression you get naturally with optics. Cannot get a photo like this for example.

Could it be faked in software ? possibly but it would take more computational power than is presently available.

Bokeh is faked these days and is getting better. Portrait setting in any phone can do a decent enough job of it. Even with video which surprises me.

Last edited:
I'm a bit squeamish about implications of AI with DSLR...

The whole purpose of a photo is to "Capture the moment". Previously we though it has to do with detail, hence the increase in MP (especially for professional use, where pictures would end up on a large hoarding) and variety of lens options. AI application, however great, requires the original photo to be altered. Me, I'd like things to be captured as they are, if there are stray hairs in models face or to fix some minor lighting issues (and I can't believe I'm saying this) I'll fix it in post lol.

AI and image processing has made the "post" duration incredibly small, so no option to inspect the original image (unless the phone supports output to raw). I also pretty much agree with @gourav

Everything from macro to telephoto

Then there is xenon flash to freeze things in a way a smartphone never could

Now you can trigger these flashes but only if your phone has a xenon flash.

When people say phone can replace a SLR they are referring to mostly ideal lighting conditions.
You will admit that small sensor is better suited to take macros, as well as the telezoom lense is also proportionally smaller for smaller sensor.
Clip on lenses are available - whose quality may not match DSLR lens quality, today.

Agreed about the flash and using flash curtain for creative effects, but it can be done on mobile phone also, not sure if any phone comes with it.

The camera is, most likely, not superior. For low light photos, the phone would be taking multiple photos (possibly a few in grayscale), and stitching them together. If you applied the same algorithms on pictures taken on the camera, results would definitely be better.
What appears better to the eyes, and closer to what our eyes see - is the one that will be preferred.
You are right about using algorithm on cameras, but who is gonna sit on desktop and do stuff these days?

LOL.. that's a Camera from 2012 and the phone is from 2019...
Yes, but please check if the DSLR sensors have really improved so significantly from 2012 till now?

Back