Budget 15-20K smartphone to replace iPhone 4

vyral_143

Jarvis
Staff member
Super Mod
1. Budget?
A: 15-22k (25k for iPhone)
2. Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?
A: Bar
3. Preferred display type?
A: at-least a 720p display with ~300 ppi
4. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: No to Local brands, HTC, Samsung, lesser reputed Chinese brands
5. Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: Touchscreen
6. Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.
A: A decent to good camera if not excellent
7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Android and iOS
8. Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
A: 3G/WiFi
9. What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
A: WhatsApp, Tapatalk, surfing internet, mails, multimedia (Music and few games)
10. Any other requirements?
A: Compact and good battery life
11. If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
A: used iPhone 5S 16GB, Moto G - 2014, Moto X - 2013, LG G2 32GB

I am looking for a no-non-sense smartphone to replace my iPhone 4. Following is detailed criteria as per priority;

Size: I am looking for compact smartphone. It must be operable by one hand. Example: While holding phone, I should be able to use bottom 3 keys as well as able to pull down notification bar without readjusting phone. I have tried Moto G - 2013/2014, Moto X 2013, Xperia Z3C in hand and have found them usable/suitable. For Moto phones I guess curved back is helping; but not sure if other phones in similar physical dimensions will also be easy to use in a hand.

Battery: Batterylife of phone should be very good. It should last me for a day with usage as - close to 3 hours of WhatsApp (many job related communications happen over it), couple of hours of surfing and Tapatalk, ~10 hours of 3G connection when I am not at home, calling of around 30-40 minutes, music or game for around an hour while I commute, 25-30 mails a day. My iPhone 4 battery lasts me close to a day but without any games/videos.

Usability: I prefer out-of-the-box usable phone without tinkering phone constantly. One time process like rooting/jailbreaking and installing few tweaks/mods is acceptable. But after which I would not desire that need arises to tinker it regularly.

Software and updates: OS running on the phone must not be customized heavily like TouchWiz. Stock/near-stock or lightest UI preferred. Device should be able to run on latest OS for at-least 1.5-2 years; translating one more new update after next 8-10 months.

Misc:
Camera: should be good with flash light
screen: at least 720p screen but not too much over-saturated colors like displays in Samsung phones.
Audio quality: I m not very much sure if i will be able to settle on audio output of non-Apple devices as since last 7 years I am listening to Music from Apple devices.

Brief Pros and Cons of phones considered
iPhone 5s
+already comfortable with ecosystem
+compact size, Music continues on Apple device
+good camera and 1 day battery life
-price

Moto G 2014
+operable in one hand with 5" screen
+fast updates and out-of-the-box usable
+/-Not sure how good battery, camera and Music quality is

Moto X 2013
+compact size
+good performance
-not-so-great battery life
-average camera and music quality

LG G2
+compact for 5.2" display (however I am unclear if I can operate it in one hand)
+large battery, very good camera and quite capable hardware
+/-not sure how good music quality is
-cost is well above my budget. If looked at imported one for to fit in budget, like Sprint LG G2 LS980, I am not sure if how easy to update software or apply mod/tweak to an unlocked phone. Also not sure how prevalent hardware related issues are.

Apart from the above factors if purchased used phone I would be looking for dent-free/scratch-less/issue free and with some warranty preferred. If music quality is not good, I can invest in to music players like iPod Nano.

I also had given thought to combo of 6-7k phone such as Lumia 525 for WhatsApp, Tapatalk, surfing and iPad Mini 2. However not yet fully convinced for this setup. For such a phone I can compromise on camera and music quality. I would still avoid Lumias for such phones due to lack of proper apps and browser.

Out of the Android phones listed, I'd have to say the Moto phones are your best bet. However, going by your usage, the Moto X's battery may not be sufficient. Do you work a desk job? An extra charger at work can go a long way. The Moto G (at least the 2013 version) has a significantly better battery, but the camera is absolutely terrible. I mean, the X's camera isn't good, but the G's is even worse. If a good camera is important, your only real option is an iPhone because Samsung flagships are out of your budget and not compact.

The Moto X 2013 is probably the best device for an iPhone user making the switch to Android. It's as hassle free as it gets on this side. Take it out of the box, update and forget about it until the next update is pushed via OTA. You don't need to do any tinkering whatsoever. It's the first Android phone I didn't bother rooting because it's perfect out of the box.

All things considered, the best phone for your requirement would be none of what you listed but a Z3C instead. Since this is beyond your budget, maybe you could look at a used Z1 Compact? A new one costs around 28k so maybe you'd be able to find one used for a cheaper price.

Yes I have a desk job. But this I am looking to come over that virtual barrier of battery life to use phone without compromise. It should not happen that while retuning from work, I get nice place to sit/stand in Mumbai local but my phone's battery is die-ing out so I can not play Music or say a game like Shadow Fight 2.

Points noted for Moto X.

I did have look on Z3C. It feels nice in hand. GSMArena has huge endurance rating of 101 Hours for battery. Only negative is its way beyond my budget. I did not like Z1C.

In that case, wait until the end of this month if you can. Lollipop should come out for the Moto X 2013, which should improve battery life. Maybe you can make a decision after seeing the reports.

Not sure why you list the battery life of iphone 5s as a + . Have never used 5s as a primary device, but have used an iphone 5 , the battery capacity is almost similar if not the same. And the 5 would die within a few hrs of 3G usage. :banghead:

Also, about the sound quality via headphones part, the best sound quality Ive heard is that of htc Ones ( M7 and M8 ) with close competition from apple. Have also heard about very good sound from G2 ( never used one though).

Not sure why you list the battery life of iphone 5s as a + . Have never used 5s as a primary device, but have used an iphone 5 , the battery capacity is almost similar if not the same. And the 5 would die within a few hrs of 3G usage.

Because, currently my iPhone 4 provides me quite good battery life. I have attached a screen captured from today morning for reference.
IMG_1668[1].PNG

Yes, due to heavy usage of WhatsApp (work involves, before other thoughts come in mind :p) generally my usage time hovers around 6/6.5+ hours in a day. With respect to above screenshot, this time is not entirely on data network but it does includes WiFi connection also; like 60% of time which is same as Mumbai. In night drop is about 3% during 6.5-7 hours, connected to WiFi and all apps closd. Also unlike local trains of Mumbai, network here in Philippines is quite stable. When I am in Mumbai and struggle to get network while commute, my battery drains faster. During that period, usage time is approx 5 hours 20-30 mins.

~10 hours of 3G connection when I am not at home,
I think I need to put little more information on this point. My phone will be connected to 3G network but I will NOT use it for entire time.

Well, its pretty good now with your iphone 4. Dont know about iphone 5s, but Ive owned iphone 5 (twice actually) and the battery life otherwise is fair, but with 3G connection and usage ( browsing, whatsapp etc) battery drops like crazy.

Yes I can wait out till December first week. By then reliable user reviews should be out. Also expecting drop on iPhone 5S prices.
Expecting a flaghip spec at your asking price isn't feasible. mi3 is the closest and you cant get it. Besides you don't want that kind of device.

G2 is a possibility, its a 5 incher so should just make your hand holding requirement. If it does not you will get used to it. Might take longer since you're used to 4 inches.

@blr_p As specified in template Q1 and Q11, for iPhone 5S, I am willing to get a used one with 16GB capacity for price up to 25k. Since iPhone 5S price was going to be dropped at 44,500 I have included this in my consideration. Otherwise I can not even think to splurge such huge amount on a phone. :)

@vyral_143

I think you will end up with another iPhone only :p

Btw need to buy iPhone 6 and no good deal in sight. All black market on ebay. :mad:

I wish I had enough mullah to purchase iPhone 6. Let see how it unfolds - whether another iPhone is in hand or not. Even if it is, it would be 5S for sure.

Get the iphone 6 on contract.

I m living in India only, only short work related trips to east Asia countries like Hongkong and Philippines. The AT&T text in statusbar is just a JB tweak :p

I wish I had enough mullah to purchase iPhone 6. Let see how it unfolds - whether another iPhone is in hand or not. Even if it is, it would be 5S for sure.

iPhone 6 is not for me. For the Wifey :)
This is what happens when you don't gift your wife for 2 straight years in a row on her Bday or on our anniversary :p
Collated gift you can say.

I am using iPhone 4S and no intention to change it for now.

The Moto G (at least the 2013 version) has a significantly better battery, but the camera is absolutely terrible. I mean, the X's camera isn't good, but the G's is even worse.
Given that he's coming from a 4 i don't think there will be too much difference. Its the 4s that improved things.

Difference between lowend -midrange camera & flagship cameras ? BSI sensor

Given that he's coming from a 4 i don't think there will be too much difference. Its the 4s that improved things.

Difference between lowend -midrange camera & flagship cameras ? BSI sensor

Yeah but if he's spending money on a new device and the camera is important to him, it makes sense to buy something that is good. The Moto cameras aren't.

Back