Budget 15-20K smartphone to replace iPhone 4

vyral_143

Jarvis
Staff member
Super Mod
1. Budget?
A: 15-22k (25k for iPhone)
2. Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?
A: Bar
3. Preferred display type?
A: at-least a 720p display with ~300 ppi
4. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: No to Local brands, HTC, Samsung, lesser reputed Chinese brands
5. Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: Touchscreen
6. Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.
A: A decent to good camera if not excellent
7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Android and iOS
8. Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
A: 3G/WiFi
9. What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
A: WhatsApp, Tapatalk, surfing internet, mails, multimedia (Music and few games)
10. Any other requirements?
A: Compact and good battery life
11. If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
A: used iPhone 5S 16GB, Moto G - 2014, Moto X - 2013, LG G2 32GB

I am looking for a no-non-sense smartphone to replace my iPhone 4. Following is detailed criteria as per priority;

Size: I am looking for compact smartphone. It must be operable by one hand. Example: While holding phone, I should be able to use bottom 3 keys as well as able to pull down notification bar without readjusting phone. I have tried Moto G - 2013/2014, Moto X 2013, Xperia Z3C in hand and have found them usable/suitable. For Moto phones I guess curved back is helping; but not sure if other phones in similar physical dimensions will also be easy to use in a hand.

Battery: Batterylife of phone should be very good. It should last me for a day with usage as - close to 3 hours of WhatsApp (many job related communications happen over it), couple of hours of surfing and Tapatalk, ~10 hours of 3G connection when I am not at home, calling of around 30-40 minutes, music or game for around an hour while I commute, 25-30 mails a day. My iPhone 4 battery lasts me close to a day but without any games/videos.

Usability: I prefer out-of-the-box usable phone without tinkering phone constantly. One time process like rooting/jailbreaking and installing few tweaks/mods is acceptable. But after which I would not desire that need arises to tinker it regularly.

Software and updates: OS running on the phone must not be customized heavily like TouchWiz. Stock/near-stock or lightest UI preferred. Device should be able to run on latest OS for at-least 1.5-2 years; translating one more new update after next 8-10 months.

Misc:
Camera: should be good with flash light
screen: at least 720p screen but not too much over-saturated colors like displays in Samsung phones.
Audio quality: I m not very much sure if i will be able to settle on audio output of non-Apple devices as since last 7 years I am listening to Music from Apple devices.

Brief Pros and Cons of phones considered
iPhone 5s
+already comfortable with ecosystem
+compact size, Music continues on Apple device
+good camera and 1 day battery life
-price

Moto G 2014
+operable in one hand with 5" screen
+fast updates and out-of-the-box usable
+/-Not sure how good battery, camera and Music quality is

Moto X 2013
+compact size
+good performance
-not-so-great battery life
-average camera and music quality

LG G2
+compact for 5.2" display (however I am unclear if I can operate it in one hand)
+large battery, very good camera and quite capable hardware
+/-not sure how good music quality is
-cost is well above my budget. If looked at imported one for to fit in budget, like Sprint LG G2 LS980, I am not sure if how easy to update software or apply mod/tweak to an unlocked phone. Also not sure how prevalent hardware related issues are.

Apart from the above factors if purchased used phone I would be looking for dent-free/scratch-less/issue free and with some warranty preferred. If music quality is not good, I can invest in to music players like iPod Nano.

I also had given thought to combo of 6-7k phone such as Lumia 525 for WhatsApp, Tapatalk, surfing and iPad Mini 2. However not yet fully convinced for this setup. For such a phone I can compromise on camera and music quality. I would still avoid Lumias for such phones due to lack of proper apps and browser.

@vyral_143
Do update me on hows the battery performance on 5s while using 3G.

Here you go

image1.PNG

This one is with 8 hours on WiFi, ~12 hours on 2G/3G (mix), WhatsApp for long time ~3 hours, calls of around 80 mins, 20 mins music and other misc stuff. Battery life dropped most when I was travelling in local train.

PS: No Network in top bar is Cydia tweak to replace carrier name.

Back