Smasung Galaxy S2 - some clarification, buying it today

Hi,

I wanted to buy either Samsung Galaxy R or Samsung Galxy S2. Since, R is not available, my options are limited to Galaxy S2.

1. Where can i buy Samsung Galaxy S2 cheapest in mumbai (includign online offers) ?

Cheapest i have found is 27.8K from a local shop for the i9100G version. Not sure if it is a good deal. Kindly advise.

2. I heard i9100G version of the phone is inferior in performance, lags in multitasking, browsing, developer support and hence should be avoided. Is it True? Further, few articles states Samsung is cheating by giving out i9100G phone models in i9100 boxes.

Please share your reviews about Samsung Galaxy S2, particularly i9100G if you have.

I plan to buy the phone ASAP, preferably today. Where can i check the phone and confirm i have recieved the correct model i9100 and not i1900G.

Regards

Neo

Ohk lets start
<

See i Researched about the whole G and non G thing and bought my phone
<

1:Yes the I9100G is inferior in terms of the CPU and GPU

2:The I9100G has better battery life and doesnt overheat

3:Currently Samsung has stopped support for firmware upgrades of the I9100

The 2 main things are

if u do not intend to play the most demanding games or run 25-30 applications at once trust me there is no lag/no problem in the G also it is an amazing phone and ur getting a good deal i got mine for 29.7k 27.8k is the an amazing offer

check at alpha@andheri otherwise i dont think u can get a cheaper deal and finally just to let u know incase ur fixed about getting the I9100(Finding one if very difficult) what u can do is Buy the G version and then mail support.india@samsung.com and tell them that i didnt want the G version i will sue u blah blah ...ur cheating customers mail them 3-4 times they will call u and tell u if its fine if u get a replacement/refund and within 10 days u will get ur i9100
<

Regards\

Aman

Ps:I am getting my I9100 as replacement on the 23rd
<

If u want to buy s2, then u should not think other then GT-i9100, it's the fastest,,, and

U will get latest firmware updates only on gt-i9100, not any other i9100....

It has largest bank of roms available..

Even ics runs only on gt-i9100...Samsung now provides updates , only for gt-I9100..

Actually, it's the world wide model..so, got largest bank of firmwares..

If u don't believe, then google it u will find exactly what I'm trying to say..

If u want to buy s2, then u should not think other then GT-i9100, it's the fastest,,, and

U will get latest firmware updates only on gt-i9100, not any other i9100....

It has largest bank of roms available..

Even ics runs only on gt-i9100...Samsung now provides updates , only for gt-I9100..

Actually, it's the world wide model..so, got largest bank of firmwares..

If u don't believe, then google it u will find exactly what I'm trying to say..

I have got Gt-i9100, it's the Korea make.. It's the best out there,, as I never got any yellow tinge on screen, which was mentioned, in most forums about i9100.

If u r going to buy S2, then definitely go for GT-i9100,, also the make should be Korea..

Believe me I'm using it since 4 months..

Aakash Kindly check ur facts ..

[font=tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]
I9100 is now getting replaced by I9100G in India and some Asian countries. Its important to know the differences:​
[/font]

1. I9100 has better CPU and better GPU compared to G version. G version's CPU is capped at 1008 Mhz, it seldom reaches the specified 1200 Mhz when in stress. The Mali 400 in I9100 is much better than PowerVR 540 in I9100G (this same powerVR 540 is present in Galaxy Nexus, Moto Razr, Optimus 3D etc)​
[/font]

2. I9100 has way better custom ROM support thanks to it being older and many devs have it. So all good roms like CheckROM, MIUI, Cyanogen mod are available. But, as the I9100G uses Ti OMAP 4430, which is very similar to Galaxy Nexus's Ti OMAP 4460, and as their GPU is same, expect ports of this mods for I9100G soon, as it will be more simpler to port them.​
[/font]

3. I9100G, is having better battery backup and less heating thanks to lower clocked CPU.​
[/font]

4. In Antutu benchmarks, when I9100G is overclocked to 1.2 Ghz, it actually beats I9100 by a couple of 100 points.​
[/font]

5. There is no yellow screen problem, wake up lag, and color banding issue in I9100G, which are quite common in I9100 (google /youtube for these issues)​
[/font]

6. THE MOST IMPORTANT POINT: Samsung officially launched 2.3.6 Gingerbread for I9100G via KIES and OTA in INDIA. There is NO UPDATE released for I9100 in India. Its still stuck on 2.3.3 May 2011 firmware.​
[/font]

This might not be a point of concern for power users who flash other countriy's firmware, but there have been cases of people losing IMEIs and their basebands while using other country's firmware.​
[/font]

This has lead to an outcry from Indian I9100 owners, asking Samsung for I9100 2.3.6 firmware, but Samsung has not paid attention and they haven't even replied.​
[/font]

So, if you want official updates, go for I9100G.​
[/font]

If you want custom ROM support and few 100 more numbers in benchmars, get I9100​
[/font]
That doesnt mean i am saying buy the I9100G if both are available if u can manage it get it perfect if not den I9100G wont give u any prob​
[/font]
trust me
<
[/font]

Aakash Kindly check ur facts ..

I9100 is now getting replaced by I9100G in India and some Asian countries. Its important to know the differences:​

[font=tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]1. I9100 has better CPU and better GPU compared to G version. G version's CPU is capped at 1008 Mhz, it seldom reaches the specified 1200 Mhz when in stress. The Mali 400 in I9100 is much better than PowerVR 540 in I9100G (this same powerVR 540 is present in Galaxy Nexus, Moto Razr, Optimus 3D etc)[/font]

[font=tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]2. I9100 has way better custom ROM support thanks to it being older and many devs have it. So all good roms like CheckROM, MIUI, Cyanogen mod are available. But, as the I9100G uses Ti OMAP 4430, which is very similar to Galaxy Nexus's Ti OMAP 4460, and as their GPU is same, expect ports of this mods for I9100G soon, as it will be more simpler to port them.[/font]

​Correction: Not necessarily, the most difficult part of cooking ROMS is the drivers. So until and unless devs have a driver set from a stock ROM they cant go to work. Just look at CM, they are building CM9 from scratch and they are having a hell of a time coming out with the final build. Until and unless u have samsung provided drivers cooking ROMS from scratch aint easy.

[font=tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]3. I9100G, is having better battery backup and less heating thanks to lower clocked CPU.[/font]

Correction: I am on LA4 and I am getting more than 2 days of usage with moderate use. Heavy use reduces my battery life to around 1 day and 7-8 hrs.

[font=tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]4. In Antutu benchmarks, when I9100G is overclocked to 1.2 Ghz, it actually beats I9100 by a couple of 100 points[/font]

Correction: with the recent firmwares (KK/KL/LA) benchmark scores have gone through the roof and the phone has become even more buttery smooth. So I take your statement with a bucket full of salt.

[font=tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]5. There is no yellow screen problem, wake up lag, and color banding issue in I9100G, which are quite common in I9100 (google /youtube for these issues)[/font]

Correction: Subsequent batches of the I9100 dint have this issue, also those early adopters who did, their problem was fixed by upgrading to the later firmwares (KI/KK/KL etc). Color banding on gradients is there if u know how to look for it on all variety of SAMOLED displays and that includes 9100 and 9100G too.

[font=tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]6. THE MOST IMPORTANT POINT: Samsung officially launched 2.3.6 Gingerbread for I9100G via KIES and OTA in INDIA. There is NO UPDATE released for I9100 in India. Its still stuck on 2.3.3 May 2011 firmware.[/font]

Correction: The GT-i9100 was updated to 2.3.6 (KL1) officially in november. Also rest assured it will get ICS earlier than the G too.

[font=tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]This might not be a point of concern for power users who flash other countriy's firmware, but there have been cases of people losing IMEIs and their basebands while using other country's firmware[/font]

Correction: May Only happen if you are flashing custom ROM and dont know the proper way to flash. For flashing different region stock ROMS u dont need root and hence this issue will never happen.

[font=tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]This has lead to an outcry from Indian I9100 owners, asking Samsung for I9100 2.3.6 firmware, but Samsung has not paid attention and they haven't even replied.[/font]

Correction: Samsung HAVE released 2.3.6 officially in INDIA

[font=tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]So, if you want official updates, go for I9100G.[/font]

[font=tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]Correction: Misleading statement.[/font]

[font=tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]If you want custom ROM support and few 100 more numbers in benchmars, get I9100 [/font]

[font=tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]That doesnt mean i am saying buy the I9100G if both are available if u can manage it get it perfect if not den I9100G wont give u any prob [/font]

[font=tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]trust me
<
[/font]

I have got Gt-i9100, it's the Korea make.. It's the best out there,, as I never got any yellow tinge on screen, which was mentioned, in most forums about i9100.

If u r going to buy S2, then definitely go for GT-i9100,, also the make should be Korea..

Believe me I'm using it since 4 months..

Korea or China or Brazil doesnt make any difference. I have seen phones manufactured in korea & china both having yellow tinge issues. But later batches dint. Although by upgrading to the recent firmwares the tinge became imperceptible.

Thanks both for your valuable feedback.

I did some googling on the same and i also arrive at similar conclusion. However, the info is not clear so i know i1900G is inferior but cant understand wha tthe impact would be.

Secondly, if i am paying for a premium phone, i would like to have no compromises. This is where it sucks. Samsung playing petty business. I can sacrifice 2K for the other model i9100 but i am not gauranteed if what i brought is i1900 or i1900G.

I am super confused..

Regards

Neo

@neo ygpm..

and the 9100 (non-G) is any day a better all round handset. If you are into rooting and custom ROM stuff, you will adore this phone as there is a very talented and dedicated development community for it.

And secondly if you purchasing a flagship phone why settle for the second best (9100G)

Any suggestions on how to get the 2.3.6 in India? And is it worth it?

if you are into flashing, then use ODIN to flash after downloading the firmware from intratech's thread over at XDA.

Else just connect to KIES (update KIES first tho) and you will get the update.

Benefits of using 2.3.6

1. Yellow tinge problem gone for older handsets

2. Browser performance ROCKS

3. Battery life is AWESOME

4. Overall smoother UI

@neo ygpm..

and the 9100 (non-G) is any day a better all round handset. If you are into rooting and custom ROM stuff, you will adore this phone as there is a very talented and dedicated development community for it.

And secondly if you purchasing a flagship phone why settle for the second best (9100G)

yeah.. thinking on similar lines.. will visit croma to check out the phone before buying.. it will cost me 29.5 K
<

Regards

Neo

Hi,, as i told u earlier that i have got Gt-i9100, and i have got the official update to 2.3.6 a few months back when it was released... So it was the first to get among others in india..so no question of delayed update...

Also, i have the korean made model,, And i have been using it for 4 months now and still no screen problem. ... u guys must first ofall read what i have written before comenting on anything..

The GT-i9100 is aka i9100 (the normal one)...

its the best one out there amoung other i9100..

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Check the product code in the box.[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Original S2 i9100 code: i9100LKAINU [/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]New S2 i9100G code: i9100LKGINU [/font]

Following link would help you

www.10division.com/samsung-galaxy-s...timate-comparison-guide-all-you-need-to-know/

Sent from my SGH-I777

divyesh2129 said:

10division.com/samsung-galaxy-s2-gt-i9100-vs-gt-i9100g-ultimate-comparison-guide-all-you-need-to-know/

Sent from my SGH-I777

divyesh2129 said:
Following link would help you

www.10division.com/samsung-galaxy-s...timate-comparison-guide-all-you-need-to-know/

Sent from my SGH-I777

10division.com/samsung-galaxy-s2-gt-i9100-vs-gt-i9100g-ultimate-comparison-guide-all-you-need-to-know/

Sent from my SGH-I777

http://10division.com/samsung-galax...timate-comparison-guide-all-you-need-to-know/ Sent From AT&TSamsung Galaxy S2 SGH I777

Update: Brought S2 yesterday... 29.5K ... its i1900 version... yeppie...
<

The product code helped a lot - i9100LKAINU. Thanks Dark Angel...

The market is currently flooded with G version. I checked at Goregaon (Croma, Ezone, Vijay Sales), Thane (Vijay Sales, couple of local shops), Mulund (Croma, couple of shops at R Mall, mobile store, few local mobile shops), Andheri/Parla (Alfa, atleast 10 shops over there)... Could not locate a non G version... damn you samsung.. cheater..

Finally i was about to give up my mad search when i discovered the non G version by luck at a store near my house.. How silly of me..
<

Perfect gift for my birthday which comes once in four years.. Hope i continue to use the phone for next four years..
<

Thanks all

Regards Neo

Back