CPU/Mobo Smokin' Hot!! C2D E7200 @ 123C!!

Apex

Skilled
Okay...so the story begins...

I was playing Crysis yesterday evening. After say, 30 minutes or so, I noticed the game started to crawl...I realized something is not right. So, I closed the game and noticed the temps. if everything is alright. I was shocked to see that HWMonitor was reporting the CPU temp as 123C while both the cores were at 45C. :S Somehow, it was stuck at 123C for another 2 minutes after closing the game. I checked the temp. with Everest and it too was reporting 123C for the CPU. I immediately shut down the PC and opened the side panel to check if indeed the CPU was boiling. :p I touched the heatsink with bare hand (dangerous, i know :ashamed: ) but the temp wasn't anything extraordinary. It was warm but not hot by any sense of imagination. When I restarted the PC, it reported idle temp. at 38C. :huh:

This afternoon, I decided to stress test the CPU with Everest. I ran the CPU at 100% load for nearly 7 minutes. The cores were reporting temps of ~55C during the test while the CPU temp was stuck at 39C. All the while HWMonitor was running in the background and was reporting temp. of 123C for the CPU. :S I closed Everest and restarted it and then it also started showing the CPU temp at 123C. When I checked the temps from the BIOS, it was showing 41C for the CPU. Its all too confusing?? Initially I thought maybe the HSF isn't seated properly but then I've played GRID and other games on it for 3 hours at a stretch without the temps going beyond 48C ever. At all other times the CPU runs at less than 40C. Crysis maybe CPU intensive but 123C is just weird. Its impossible!

What could be wrong? Temp. sensors screwed? or Application conflict? Let me know your thoughts and ideas on this. Thanks in advance. :D

any warning messages?if the game started to stutter i think it might be throttling(tho throttling is dependant on core temps but who knows),try running the stress test again and check if it does so.
prolly the tcase sensor is broke,dunno if its a software conflict.

hmm..one point worth mentioning here...when I ran that Everest CPU stress test for 7 minutes...there's a bar which shows CPU throttling...it was always at 0%. If the tcase sensor is broken, how come its reporting correct temps (or so I'd assume) now and in BIOS? :S

If its hot, then it means heat transfer is good.

touched the heatsink with bare hand (dangerous, i know ) but the temp wasn't anything extraordinary

I think HWMonitor is false, download Real Temp or Core Temp, they r accurate.

k...here u go..

testtr6.jpg

enough? :p

Saiyan said:
^Its fine re :p
seems like it...HWMonitor sux. :p
Rave said:
run orthos and check :p
will it do things any differently? is it better than prime?
if yes, gimme the link plz. :)
BIKeINSTEIN said:
Ever since Apex got his new rig- we are having heat strokes all over India. :lol:
haha...ur right :hap2:

why crysis behaved like that is still a mystery. :huh: :no:

Make sure u have the latest version of hwmonitor ;) else just wait for a newer version supporting E7200 properly and then go back to it. till then, use somehting else ;)

Apex said:
hmm..one point worth mentioning here...when I ran that Everest CPU stress test for 7 minutes...there's a bar which shows CPU throttling...it was always at 0%. If the tcase sensor is broken, how come its reporting correct temps (or so I'd assume) now and in BIOS? :S

how do you know those are the correct temps?:p
try the sensor test on real temp,i dunno if it has one for tcase.
didn't found much on stuck Tcase sensors tho.

Back