CPU/Mobo Smokin' Hot!! C2D E7200 @ 123C!!

I can confirm now that HWMonitor truly sux. :p

Following are the max. temps recorded for Orthos -15 minutes blend test

CPU (Asus PC Probe) - 55C

Core#0 (RealTemp) - 50C

Core#1 (RealTemp) - 50C

oh and btw, Crysis sux as well...case closed!

Thanx everyone. :D

I would've thought it was a sensor error, but the throttling makes it a worrysome issue. Haven't you set a thermal threshold for shutdown? Just curious as to why shutdown didn't happen once the CPU crossed its threshold temp

Hmm...there was no throttling at all. Crysis slow down was just a co-incidence, I think. The temps for both cores were arnd 45C and thats really weird. Logic says Tcase should return lower temps than that and not some insane value like 123C. I've run Orthos and Prime95 for 30 minutes each without any CPU throttling or temperature issues, just to be sure.

By my understanding, the CPU sensors only return the core temps which in turn decides whether to slow down the proccy or not. The Tcase temp is provided by the sensors onboard the mobo and in my case, only Asus PCProbe 2 returns correct temps for CPU tcase and mobo. HWMonitor somehow gets stuck at 123C whenever the CPU is on full load.

the old fashioned way is the best way...

I gave up on those S/W sensors long back...there are other more important thiings in life to worry about beyond keeping a constant worrisome eye on your system temps

Install a CPU...

Load it 100%for 10 mins and check the heatsink with hand...

If it's too hot or too cold (= no heat tarnsfer), somethng is wrong..if not, just shut it and forget it till the next upgrade(or at least until you start getting some weird slowdown/BSOD issues)

And if you do, repeat and rinse... :p

superczar said:
the old fashioned way is the best way...

I gave up on those S/W sensors long back...there are other more important thiings in life to worry about beyond keeping a constant worrisome eye on your system temps
Install a CPU...

Load it 100%for 10 mins and check the heatsink with hand...

If it's too hot or too cold (= no heat tarnsfer), somethng is wrong..if not, just shut it and forget it till the next upgrade(or at least until you start getting some weird slowdown/BSOD issues)

And if you do, repeat and rinse... :p

How do you put your hand inside your lappies? :S

Back