software to compress/reduce size of songs ??

Is there any software that would reduce the file size of songs ?? i mean i would like to reduce the bit rate of songs from 320 kbps for playback on my mobile. Also how far can the bit rate of songs be reduced without any significant reduction in sound quality ??? ( am using N70 ME)

you can re encode the songs using easy cd -da extractor. i usually dont find huge difference in a 128 kbps encoded mp3 and a 64 kbps vbr mp4. but then i am not a audiophile. so it will kinda vary per person.

if you are going to play it back using the loudspeaker as a ringtone , 96kbps mono should be quite fine. for listening using headphones, 128k/160Kbps(or higher) Joint stereo VBR would be the best option :)

smoky004 said:
Is there any software that would reduce the file size of songs ?? i mean i would like to reduce the bit rate of songs from 320 kbps for playback on my mobile. Also how far can the bit rate of songs be reduced without any significant reduction in sound quality ??? ( am using N70 ME)
If you are willing to switch formats you should give .AAC a try since it reduces file sizes significantly without compromising on the quality. a 128Kbps .AAC will give you music quality equal to or better than a 160/192kbps .mp3 file.

Re-encoding usually sounds terrible, so it's better to recompress the original. If you don't have the original or you need to recompress your paid downloads (which are already compressed), it's better to firstexpand the files to wave files, and then use a codec on the wave files. That's manslaughter and not murder, which would result if you went straight from 320kbps downward or (worse) converted to another format.

For low bitrate files, I find wma and ogg far superior to MP3. A 64kbps WMA is considered equivalent to a 128 kbps MP3, which should be enough for portable listening. In the time I could listen to music on the move, I used 96 kbps OGG files, and those worked fine with my Altec in-ears.

As to software, there are tons, but the only ones I'd consider are dbPoweramp + its DLC codec packs and the built in converters in CDex, both capable of all you want to do with your files. I use Winamp's auto-tagger to tag the converted files, which works maybe 80% of the time (dependant on a public tags database).

sangram said:
A 64kbps WMA is considered equivalent to a 128 kbps MP3, which should be enough for portable listening.

:O

Who are you and what are you doing in sangram's ID :no:

I've felt that even 96k WMA's sounded quite dull. 128k mp3's had compression artefacts and tinny sound, but they still sound okay. If you like the laid back sound , they maybe you'd like wma's

I've not tried ogg, but from what I've heard, they are better, but only at higher bitrates

use the mp3pro

mp3PROzone - the home of mp3PRO

seriously try it n experience the difference...i tried lots n found this one

sounded best among all 64kbps compression.

for other compression i use dppoweramp software...almost u can convert any audio using codecs into this.

dBpoweramp: CD Ripper & Audio Converter. Secure ripping to mp3, FLAC, m4a, Apple Lossless & WMA

only righclick the audio file n convert using dbpoweramp, simple enough;) and the wide range of options available like tag editing, eqaualizers, amplification, noise filtering etc.

smoky004 said:
Also how far can the bit rate of songs be reduced without any significant reduction in sound quality ??? ( am using N70 ME)

The best encoder out there in terms of small file size with 'acceptable' tradeoff in sound is HE-AAC or aacPlus. I recall seeing some web stns streaming it at only 64kbs.

HE-AAC is marketed under the trademark aacPlus(tm) by Coding Technologies and under the trademark Nero Digital(tm) by Nero AG. Sony Ericsson, Nokia and Samsung use AAC+ to label support for HE AAC v1 and eAAC+ to label support for HE-AAC v2 on their phones. Motorola uses AAC+ to indicate HE AAC v1 and "AAC+ Enhanced" to indicate HE AAC v2.

Going by the specs for the N70, indicates support for it :)

AAC, AAC+, AMR (NB-AMR), eAAC+, MIDI Tones (poly 64), MP3, RealAudio, True Tones (WB-AMR), WAV

See here for more info on HOWTO.

As to 'acceptable' only you can be the judge, it might work better with music that is already compressed, meaning the dynamic range of the music itself has been reduced at the mastering stage so it sounds good on cheap equipment. Most pop music since the last 10 yrs falls into this category, even electronic mixes.

Use iTunes, set the bitrate accordingly and convert to aac or m4a.

or

dbpoweramp with aac encoder. You can also downgrade the mp3 quality using mp3 lame encoder using dbpoweramp !

or

In case of only voice use nokia multimedia player(comes with pc suit) to save the file as amr.... unbelievable quality compared to size in case of voice clip.

I use N70 and the best part is you don't need a sound boost for its stereophonic speakers unlike 6600's ! Not every song's quality depend on the bitrate so you will have to figure it out by yourself. Avoid downgrading the bitrate below 64k and don't convert to mono.

greenhorn said:
:O

Who are you and what are you doing in sangram's ID :no:

I've felt that even 96k WMA's sounded quite dull. 128k mp3's had compression artefacts and tinny sound, but they still sound okay. If you like the laid back sound , they maybe you'd like wma's

I've not tried ogg, but from what I've heard, they are better, but only at higher bitrates

Honestly, I do like high bitrate WMAs, the 64 kb/s is heresy.

And on the move with tons of ambient sound and listening to music on a mobile device, I don;t know if one could tell the difference between laid back and overly bright or other things. In the comfort of your living room with a drink your hand, you surely could, but on the mobile?

At least I couldn't, though maybe my ears aren't as polished ;) As a matter of fact, one of our co-members demonstrated to me very clearly today that he has far better hearing than me :) ;) and I'm a load of crap when it comes to this audio stuff.

Greenie, it's really me ;)

Thank you all. After trying all the sw , finally settled on winamp pro.

The best encoder out there in terms of small file size with 'acceptable' tradeoff in sound is HE-AAC or aacPlus.

Thank you!!:D:D Compressed 10mb mp3s to 2.6Mb .aac (64k) using wimamp pro.Found the sound quality quite acceptable.

erm itunes does best job.

But if you wanna know advanced stuff then EAC and use Lame codec. read & learn ..do google. find some good advanced option.

Personal Advice - Use VBR always <224~320

smoky004 said:
Thank you!!:D:D Compressed 10mb mp3s to 2.6Mb .aac (64k) using wimamp pro.Found the sound quality quite acceptable.

Which version of aac+ did you use, v1 (AAC+) or v2 (Enhanced AAC+) ?

v1 is without parametric stereo
v2 is with parametric stereo (PS) (in english that means even smaller with 'similar' quality)

Does your plugin offer v2 or is there an additional option to select Parametric sterreo ?

You might be able to get still smaller files with v2 @32kbs or 24kbs, but i think 40kbs is the highest v2 will go, use a higher encoding rate and it becomes v1.

compare those with your v1 @64kbs and let us know :)

http://www.codingtechnologies.com/products/aacPlus.htm said:
aacPlus delivers streaming and downloadable 5.1 multi-channel audio at 128 kbps, near CD-quality stereo at 32 kbps, excellent quality stereo at 24 kbps, and good quality for mixed content even below 16 kbps mono. This level of efficiency fundamentally enables new applications in the markets of mobile and digital broadcast.

ebu_test_48kbps_2.gif

Already been done.

Back