Sold an item on eBay, how safe it is for me as a seller?

avi

Skilled
I listed my iPhone 4, as pick up only. But some bugger from Rajasthaan has ordered it now. My location is Bangalore and now I am thinking to whether to ship or not.

I have sold on eBay, but never costlier than 3-4K. Now I am thinking whether to take risk or not.

I don't have much of buyer details, he's been member since 29-Apr-2014, so far has two 100% feedback as a buyer. However I don't have any details of the items he bought.

Things I am worried about:
1. He could show a pic of soap and say I never sent a phone (sounds stupid, but possible)
2. He could say some accessories are missing
3. He could say phone is not working/defective piece.

What to do? And also, it's a new seller account. So I don't think I could get ebay powership. So I am interested to know how does eBay protects new sellers.

My first sale on eBay went bad, the buyer claimed i sent him a broken item. eBay refunded him under buyer protection (he had 30+ positive feedback) and they also covered me under seller protection and i got my complete amount.

Just use insured shipping and everything will be fine. Just ask the buyer to open the package in front of the courier delivery guy. Also you will have to constantly remind the buyer to 'confirm item receipt'. It is different from feedback and you won't get paid unless the buyer confirms item receipt, even if he has already left positive feedback.
Why did you go to eBay though. It's an iPhone and you would have easily sold it in a few hours via OLX.

There is a certain time period for the buyer to confirm receipt
If buyer fails to do that. then it will be automatically treated as item received
And amount will be credited to seller account in next cycle

It sucks for sellers from what I know. Takes around a month to get the money. Check their terms, Also they are very bad with handling disputes. And their fees are pretty high too. But they allow some number of sales for low fee.

Best luck, if possible, 1k less offline is always safer, faster and less stress. Try something like Quickr or OLX though those b****** lowball a lot.

You will get the money around in 2 weeks once the item is confirmed as delivered. The mode of communication will be slow and should be through ebay. Dispute settlement if any will be PITA.

Send it if you are not getting any local buyers.

I would suggest going for Olx or Quikr. In Quikr you can even use the paid ads to get your ad on top for more visibility. You anyways have to pay fees on ebay, so do the same on quikr.

PS: I have never taken a paid ad on quikr so I am not sure how effective it is.

My first sale on eBay went bad, the buyer claimed i sent him a broken item. eBay refunded him under buyer protection (he had 30+ positive feedback) and they also covered me under seller protection and i got my complete amount.
Whoa that's nice of eBay and I am hearing this first time. Can new sellers also get seller protection?

Why did you go to eBay though. It's an iPhone and you would have easily sold it in a few hours via OLX.
I dont know why, but I am not getting enough offers. I listed it at 11K (same as in TE, but mentioned I am willing to negotiate) Also OLX is filled with so much spam, SNR is very less. And these buggers lowball like hell. I am getting offers for 4-5K lol

Best luck, if possible, 1k less offline is always safer, faster and less stress. Try something like Quickr or OLX though those b****** lowball a lot.
Yeah! Told a guy to suck my D when he offering me 4K :mad:

Send it if you are not getting any local buyers.
Yup. I cancelled it. Will wait for few days. If not then will add shipping option.

I would suggest going for Olx or Quikr. In Quikr you can even use the paid ads to get your ad on top for more visibility. You anyways have to pay fees on ebay, so do the same on quikr.

PS: I have never taken a paid ad on quikr so I am not sure how effective it is.
I will try this. However you eBay fee only if item gets sold.

I hoping for 10K. May be its high? May be I should aim for 8-9K :-(

I will try this. However you eBay fee only if item gets sold.
:-(
No, you have to pay some listing charges even if item doesn't get sold. Only final value fees and paisapay commission is calculated once item is sold.

I will say avoid ebay. Too many n00b buyers are there who will raise guarantee claim even if they didnt read item description before buying. Read my reply at tdf, had 3 bad experience dealing with n00b buyers who raised false claims for their own mistakes. Although all 3 claims were settled in my favour but it caused mental harassment. Thats why i stopped using ebay.

Can new sellers also get seller protection?

Yes they can but eBay might not cover expensive products in it though. Try listing the phone on olx/quickr for 5k more than the amount you want, when someone calls to low ball offer them the price you actually wanted and tell them you cant go below that.

No, you have to pay some listing charges even if item doesn't get sold. Only final value fees and paisapay commission is calculated once item is sold.
Agreed, but listing charges is very very less.

Yes they can but eBay might not cover expensive products in it though. Try listing the phone on olx/quickr for 5k more than the amount you want, when someone calls to low ball offer them the price you actually wanted and tell them you cant go below that.
I am getting offers for 4-5K :'(

List on OLX for 15k. I also learned this the hard way as I was also accustomed of selling on forums only. On OLX buyers assume that the seller has listed the price at a higher rate and will definitely bargain.

People lawball on TE as well so what else do you expect on Olx and all ? I am not against bargaining but sometimes people give ridiculous offers.
No man, forums are way much better. Especially TE.

List on OLX for 15k. I also learned this the hard way as I was also accustomed of selling on forums only. On OLX buyers assume that the seller has listed the price at a higher rate and will definitely bargain.
Okay, will do so! Thank you :D

lol I once sold a gpu on olx, buyer asked if it can be negotiated, i told him no, he bought it the following day of his first contact and at the price which i asked for. :p
If you sell on OLX and people ask for negotiation and you dont want to let the price down just tell them straight that the price is fixed. if they want it they will contact you again, if not then they will stop bothering you. and If you mention something like "how much are you willing to pay" even the slightest word for negotiation they will get very annoying.

i have been selling stuffs on olx/quikr from the time, it wasn't even advertised on media like now a days.. and my stuffs got sold within days,
sometime i quote 4-5 k extra than my selling price and sometimes i strictly mention 'not negotiable'. Lowballers will msg/mail me with their ridiculous price which i never reply.. serious buyers will always call for item description, when i mention that its not negotiable, never had a need to use ebay and its complicated process!!

Back