SolEol: Subtitle Searcher for Movies and TV Shows

Zinc

Adept
I came across this nice little utility for batch searching subtitles for movies and tv shows.

http://eduo.info/soleol

This is actually an alpha version but I used it on Windows and seems to work fine.
It uses Opensubtitle.org for searching the subtitles (and also needs an account for the same).

I used it for searching subs for multiple movies and tv shows and it quite unexpectedly came back with the correct subs every time.
It works as a drag n drop app and even gives suggestions if it finds better subs than the ones you already have.

I even used it for my renamed movies and it was able to give correctly synced subs.
Interface looks cool as well (as it was developed for Mac).
You can set your preferences:

PREFS.png

Once your preferences are set you can either click on the box or drop a group of files or folders in the dropbox:

HOME.png

Drag & drop as many movie files or folders as you want in the dropbox. The application will search in every subfolder and pick every suitable file. Only the filenames will be shown so it’s important that they are named properly:

GetSubs1.png

Press the “Search Subtitles†button and SolEol will try and find subtitles for your movies. If there are more than one it will try to select the best one for you. If you already have it (and have checked the appropriate option in the preferences) it will let you know if you already have the best option by showing it in italics. If there is a better option it will be selected and the old one replaced:

GetSubs2.png

Note that subtitles already present will be flagged with a green checkmark. Subtitles with the wrong name (without language identifier) will be flagged and corrected with a green plus sign. You’ll only have the option of checking subtitles you can actually download.

Press the “Get Checked Subtitles†to automatically download, uncompress and rename the subtitles in the same location as the original files.

The program auto-selects what it believes is the best subtitle taking into the account the number of times it’s been downloaded, the votes it’s received and its freshness. You shouldn’t need to change the automatic selection.
Tut taken from the parent site

Many of you may be using it or something similar, so this is for the others :p

Views, suggestions, alternatives welcome! :)

Thanks!!

ggt said:
Is this an application using an ios ... Snow leopard sort. The window suggests me like that :S

It was developed for Mac, and ported over to Windows.

It still in Alpha stage but works pretty fine.

Anyway, on Windows it shows up any other Windows program.

I was wondering how it works.

Does it match the FPS because it comes up with synced matches all the time even if I change the name of the file (as long as the movie name is there)?

Downloaded.

But the config doesnt get saved. I want hindi subtitles for some english movies but after selecting Hindi checkbox & save button & again looking back, the checkmark is gone.

also, do we need to register as it shows on the homescreen?

Its not working for me atleast when clicked on Get checked subtitles button. Not even for English language.

How long doest it takes to search for the subtitles?

ronit said:
Downloaded.

But the config doesnt get saved. I want hindi subtitles for some english movies but after selecting Hindi checkbox & save button & again looking back, the checkmark is gone.

also, do we need to register as it shows on the homescreen?

Its not working for me atleast when clicked on Get checked subtitles button. Not even for English language.

How long doest it takes to search for the subtitles?

It works flawlessly for English subs but I never tried Hindi ones.

It doesn't seem to save the Hindi preference as well :(

Its actually an alpha version and still being developed so may have these bugs.

For English subs it usually comes up with results within a minute or so (depending on your net speed) and keeps the best match pre-checked.

It may be a compatibility issue in your case.

Also, its very difficult to get Hindi subs for most of the English movies.

And yes, it needs a registration on opensubtitles to work.

well, those who aren't happy with soleol, can try sublight as mentioned above.. it has rarely failed me though i haven't looked for subtitles in any language other than english..

Thanks ayanavish and hackboy89 for alternative suggestions! :hap2:

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

hackboy89 said:
well, those who aren't happy with soleol, can try sublight as mentioned above.. it has rarely failed me though i haven't looked for subtitles in any language other than english..
Hey, I tried using Sublight and brought up some 8 results for a movie file.

Now how do I know which one is the synced one?

Do I have to match the release info or try them one by one?
Edit: Alright, I got the subs after trying them one by one. The search engine seems more extensive than Soleol. The only small problem is that its not fully automated (or am I doing something wrong?). Soleol automatically selects the synced subs and one doesn't have to try them.

^^ well, if your rip is popular enough, you'll be able to get the subs which are already sync'd and these will be highlighted, i think in yellow color..

alternatively, you can look into your file and read its name carefully, (and the its fps rate, it can do the trick sometimes if it's getting difficult) to get the name of the ripper, this'll help too..

well, if all the above fails or if the file is plain with no uploader or ripper's name in it, you'd have to manually try and check each subtitle though i'd advice you to only download those rips which are popular or search it beforehand on the sublight whether the subtitles are present or not..

PS: i think the above steps won't enable you to watch any movie w/o subs from now on.. ;)

I tried using Soleol (win 7) after the recommendation in the thread, but some how it would always act sluggish and not bring up the results for any subtitles.

Not satisfied the results , I searched for something else that would serve the purpose , and found this:

Download - Sublight

Although Installation is like that opf any application, its nt like a portable app, but works very well as it gathers subtitles from more than once source.....so far so good.

Cheers

kestrel5915 said:
Thanks ayanavish and hackboy89 for alternative suggestions! :hap2:

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Hey, I tried using Sublight and brought up some 8 results for a movie file.

Now how do I know which one is the synced one?

Sublight displays synchronized subtitles with yellow/orange color:
sublight2.png

If subtitle is not yet displayed as synchronized then please manually add link (this will help other users).

Sublight also offers Windows Explorer integration with Sublight Mini application:
sublightmini.png

Back