Some questions about Jio Fiber

Digigear

Disciple
I'm thinking of getting the 100Mbps Jio Fiber plan. The Post paid connection seems to get free setup/installation. Not sure what the difference is, because the price for the plans seems to be the same.

Which should I go for?

Also does it still come with set top box? I know the last time I checked it did. I can't seem to find much mention of that. I just have a 54" normal TV, not a smart TV or anything. Does it still benefit me if I got it bundled with the Set Top Box, assuming it is still in service?

I just started doing some research on this, so I don't even know what to look for. Please share your thoughts on the best value broadband plan!

Thanks!

what made you thinking of Jio - dont you have anything better in your area ?

Not sure but i like the idea of pairing the dth with the broadband and I really like the service that I've been able to receive on my jio mobile plans.

By the tone of your question above it makes me think you have no love for jio. You probably have a different service provider to recommend?

Location ?
Anna Nagar East, Chennai

in par with airtel.
This actually scares me more than it is reassuring lol

I've lost so much money as a customer of Airtel and also faced numerous frustrating days with their customer service. I would NEVER recommend Airtel to anyone!

Anyway I just signed up for a 6 month subscription for Jio fibers 999 plan. Comes to Rs. 7073 including a 1000 refundable deposit for the DTH set top box. And has an extra month as trial. So basically 7k for 7 months of 150Mbps. Sounds like decent value proposition.

I am experiencing excellent service by Airtel since 2.5 years. Almost Zero downtime and when they do maintenance they notify by SMS and it's usually for a few minutes at late night/morning hours like between 1-5am.
Before this I had ACT and that was also amazing experience only one flaw and that was because of my area and the nearest node/box location. My wire was going across the road to the node which was cut by a damn moving truck and no one attended it for 3 days which got me frustrated and I called Airtel to install a new connection. Never recharged ACT again. Airtel node/box is in by building so wire from my home to box is not exposed.

All this experience is for Delhi.

On topic of Jio, recently they came and installed the box right beside Airtel's box but I won't switch because Jio is not offering true internet. They are heavily monitoring your traffic and it's a sandboxed internet (basically intranet). Very less control over router/modem settings.

I am experiencing excellent service by Airtel since 2.5 years. Almost Zero downtime and when they do maintenance they notify by SMS and it's usually for a few minutes at late night/morning hours like between 1-5am.
Before this I had ACT and that was also amazing experience only one flaw and that was because of my area and the nearest node/box location. My wire was going across the road to the node which was cut by a damn moving truck and no one attended it for 3 days which got me frustrated and I called Airtel to install a new connection. Never recharged ACT again. Airtel node/box is in by building so wire from my home to box is not exposed.

All this experience is for Delhi.

On topic of Jio, recently they came and installed the box right beside Airtel's box but I won't switch because Jio is not offering true internet. They are heavily monitoring your traffic and it's a sandboxed internet (basically intranet). Very less control over router/modem settings.
Hm..wasn't aware of the concern about the sandboxed internet part and the monitoring.

How do you know Airtel is any better?

And can you offer the source on this? I'd like to do some more research on this.

Hm..wasn't aware of the concern about the sandboxed internet part and the monitoring.

How do you know Airtel is any better?

And can you offer the source on this? I'd like to do some more research on this.
I honestly can't search for a source now because what I told you was something I read like 1-2 years ago mostly on reddit like they face issues opening certain sites, they can't switch DNS servers, port forwarding was an issue, latencies are bad etc.
As for airtel, I have personal experience that it's not an issue there even at present. Was not an issue on ACT too until 2 years ago, can't say now.

You can continue going with Jio Fiber and have an experience of your own, I just shared what I recalled. I could experience it for myself but I don't wanna pay extra and setup all wiring again over my house, besides airtel is working exceptionally well for me.

This actually scares me more than it is reassuring lol

I've lost so much money as a customer of Airtel and also faced numerous frustrating days with their customer service. I would NEVER recommend Airtel to anyone!

Anyway I just signed up for a 6 month subscription for Jio fibers 999 plan. Comes to Rs. 7073 including a 1000 refundable deposit for the DTH set top box. And has an extra month as trial. So basically 7k for 7 months of 150Mbps. Sounds like decent value proposition.
not sure what made you say like this for airtel.
I have used ACT/beem for over a decade, and moved to airtel 2yrs back, because ACT is double NATted and block ports. cant be happier.

Jio suks donkeys ass in my experience, I would be super interested to know your Jio experience after 3-4 months :D
for me seems like you had a chance to ride a BMW but you have chosen tata nano just for saving saving 10 rupees a month.

Jio suks donkeys ass in my experience, I would be super interested to know your Jio experience after 3-4 months :D
for me seems like you had a chance to ride a BMW but you have chosen tata nano just for saving saving 10 rupees a month.
I wouldn't be so harsh because experience with ISPs really depend on the area service. Certain policies are global and will be implemented country-wide but Quality of service really depends on area.
He might end up not using those features which are restricted by policies and get a good service otherwise. So it doesn't hurt trying.

In my area Jio is offering 30 days money back scheme if you don't like. No questions asked. I still don't wanna try it just because I'm super happy with Airtel and Jio is a little expensive than Airtel IMO.

If you are interested in OTT services the 300MBPS plan is to best bang for buck plan. I did try the gigabit plan for a month and find it to be a waste of money. I have wifi N instead and was able to provide 275mbps up/down even at the ends of my house on the gigabit plan. So any thing more and it's useful on the lan only. I stopped using the Tata sky DTH to justify my 300mbps Jio plan.

If you are interested in OTT services the 300MBPS plan is to best bang for buck plan. I did try the gigabit plan for a month and find it to be a waste of money. I have wifi N instead and was able to provide 275mbps up/down even at the ends of my house on the gigabit plan. So any thing more and it's useful on the lan only. I stopped using the Tata sky DTH to justify my 300mbps Jio plan.
I think I am getting the 999 plan. It is enough for my usage. I don't need ott from them. I already have what i need.

IMG-20220417-WA0010.jpg

The 999 plan would come out to be 1178.82 INR after GST. Can you confirm that all that OTT including amazon prime/hotstar/netflix is included in that price and not charged additionally after a year or so?
I might give it a try since I currently get 200Mbps on airtel with same price but only Amazon prime and Hotstar for the first year is free, later years it's charged separately. I can trade 50Mbps for the OTT subscriptions if I find the service acceptable here.

Let me know, thanks.

The 999 plan would come out to be 1178.82 INR after GST. Can you confirm that all that OTT including amazon prime/hotstar/netflix is included in that price and not charged additionally after a year or so?
I might give it a try since I currently get 200Mbps on airtel with same price but only Amazon prime and Hotstar for the first year is free, later years it's charged separately. I can trade 50Mbps for the OTT subscriptions if I find the service acceptable here.

Let me know, thanks.
1650199944267.png

1650200061251.png

Source - https://www.jio.com/en-in/fiber/jiofiber-amazon-prime-offer

This is what I was able to find.

Let me know, thanks.
Netflix and 14 others are only available on the 300mbps plan. That's when the settop box makes sense. Otherwise it's just prime and maybe some others at 150mbps

Thanks for the info, then it doesn't make sense for me to switch over. It's same as Airtel but offer lower speed and I don't know about reliability here.

The 999 plan would come out to be 1178.82 INR after GST.
The 7073 includes tax for 6 ( + 1) months. There's one month free on the 6 month plan. So it's 7073 for 7 months. There's extra 1000 rupees refundable deposit for the set top box. So total of Rs. 8073, of which the 1000 is refundable on cancellation.

Netflix and 14 others are only available on the 300mbps plan. That's when the settop box makes sense. Otherwise it's just prime and maybe some others at 150mbps
Btw the Netflix that comes with the 300Mbps is the Netflix Basic plan which is worth Rs. 200. I wouldn't get that if I were to go for a plan. I would want at least the one that lets me watch it in FHD.

For me the choice depends on the speed and the services included, the OTT subscriptions are more of a non-factor for me. I already have subscriptions for the ones that I want. For me the value is in the fact that with this, I can cancel the TataSky subscription which costs 300 per month. And also I no longer need to spend Rs. 250 every time I need 50 GB on my mobile data. I've probably already spent as much as 7k in six months over that. So this is actually a cost saver for me.

As for Airtel, I just don't trust them as a company after the incidents I've faced so far and the customer service I've received for it. It's always like you have to watch your back in some way. :/

I wouldn't be so harsh because experience with ISPs really depend on the area service. Certain policies are global and will be implemented country-wide but Quality of service really depends on area.
He might end up not using those features which are restricted by policies and get a good service otherwise. So it doesn't hurt trying.

In my area Jio is offering 30 days money back scheme if you don't like. No questions asked. I still don't wanna try it just because I'm super happy with Airtel and Jio is a little expensive than Airtel IMO.
+1. I have airtel and was happy with it but since last 3 months, I am facing a issue with very low speeds during daytime (~5mbps on a 200mbps plan). I have tried reaching out to them in *every* way possible and it still hasn't been fixed. In a last ditch effort, i have been assured by one of their local technician that he will do something since the problem seems to be on OLT side.

Have also been using Airtel as my mobile operator for many years but slowly getting fed up with it too. Wifi calling is buggy, calling in general is much better on jio, speeds may look higher on paper but the browsing experience is shit compared to jio where it is much more responsive even if the speeds are lower.

I can trade 50Mbps for the OTT subscriptions if I find the service acceptable here.
You are trading more like ~100 mbps because airtel provides around 240mbps on 200mbps plan while jio is usually a few mbps less than plan so around 140 on 150mbps plan.

You are trading more like ~100 mbps because airtel provides around 240mbps on 200mbps plan while jio is usually a few mbps less than plan so around 140 on 150mbps plan.
You're right, they do provide more than committed. All the more reason not to worry about Jio in my area :p

My experience with Jiofiber had been terrible.
1) Speed for 100mbps plan was around 70mbps.
2) Frequent 5g band disconnection.
3) cannot fix channel
4)Don't even have a proper customer service

I decided to get my connection removed within 17 days. Although there was 30 days trial, Jio deducted for 21 days.
Disconnection request was placed on 11 Feb and received deducted amount on 8-march after a lot of escalation. Very bad experience with Jio.

Back