CPU/Mobo Someone SOLVE this "puzzle" !

Huh what ? Nothing , very simple.....

Harddrives : Samsung SpinPoint 160GB - IDE
Seagate 7200.10 500GB - SATA

Motherboard : Intel DG33FB

No. of SATA Ports : 5

No. of IDE slots : 1

Other IDE Devices : 1 Sony DVD Writer

Puzzel : How do I get all 3 of them to work !!!........

Here is the concern so , the 160gb and the dvd are wired on the single "ide" connector. The SATA is on -Sata 0 port.

What ?

Come what may , I cannot get the system detect the DVD-RW and the 160GB. Tried all possible jumper combinations on 160gb and the dvd-rw...still in BIG vain......changed cables.....tossed the connectors.....master / slave / cable select.....none.....same end result...NONE of them would show up........as soon as i disconnect either 1 of them....the sata and '1' of the non disconnected device would readily boost up....

Upgraded / flashed bios to the latest 02/10/2007 date.......yet nothing....

So what 'N-E-X-T' now ?

P.S. --> Pls don't tell me to chuck the ide dvd-rw and get a sata one ! :rofl:
P.S. --> Pls don't ask whyyy that 'intel' mbb :rofl:

rocky_jvm said:
Eggjactly!!!

thanks for the advise...on my check list for tomorrow......thanks for the advise......i thought the same if both the devices are using the same irq...but they aint....when i checked individually......but then too there is a dvd combo drive lying around....will check it out.....and well if it boots fine with that ide.....then its time to get the el-cheapo ide-sata convertor ( 275 buks walla ) and use the dvd-rw as sata....

@others : what else to try ??

sri_rng said:
Try it without the SATA HDD... see if it works..

I have tried even without the SATA drive connected - i.e just the IDE - HDD + the dvd -rw ......still no go......it fails to recognise 'both' in that case.......!
faulty Motherboard ide port ? or something is terribly messed up here ?

This is a common enough problem if the board uses a third party Controller (especially the JMicron ones) for providing the IDE Port. Although Each IDE port should provide 2 channels, only one IDE device seems to work with most of these boards. Had the same problem with the MSI P965-Neo Mobo. I finally had to put the PATA HDD inside an external casing and use it like that.

Lord Nemesis said:
This is a common enough problem if the board uses a third party Controller (especially the JMicron ones) for providing the IDE Port. Although Each IDE port should provide 2 channels, only one IDE device seems to work with most of these boards. Had the same problem with the MSI P965-Neo Mobo. I finally had to put the PATA HDD inside an external casing and use it like that.

:mad: Intel mentions 2 channels :mad:

i had same problem

and that happened due to faulty ide cable

and check out if any pin either on ide interface or on the drives are bent or broken

this sounds funny but
this happed with one of my friend

and then last try to check if the power connector of drives and the ide connector is firmly in place

and dont use any jumper...

sata bu default becomes primary

god's_gift said:
i had same problem

and that happened due to faulty ide cable

and check out if any pin either on ide interface or on the drives are bent or broken

this sounds funny but
this happed with one of my friend

and then last try to check if the power connector of drives and the ide connector is firmly in place

and dont use any jumper...

sata bu default becomes primary

cables changed.....and still its the same issue....there are no pins bent watsoever.....the same combination works absolutely fine on another pc.....
power connector is absolutely fine as well...all checked :mad:
im going to connect 'another' ide device n check now........:no:

May be ur system does not have enough power for all the three devices connectd at the same time....As ur devices work perfectly when connected individually or when two of them connected, but dont work when all three connected...thenn may be a insufficient power issue....So u can just try using a higher power supply

devp24 said:
May be ur system does not have enough power for all the three devices connectd at the same time....As ur devices work perfectly when connected individually or when two of them connected, but dont work when all three connected...thenn may be a insufficient power issue....So u can just try using a higher power supply

i dont think so the system is underpowered....running a powersafe 400w!

Lol..

i aint know much but changing a powersuply but dey wil cost u a good amt..:cool2:

get a sata to ide cable n see..:eek:hyeah:

borrow one from ur friend(if someone has) and see...

else one more thing,,, don laugh but format d ide,,,
put it up individually,,
see which slot it appears in d devices screen in bios(dunno d name but the first screen..)
DO same wid writer..

den put it up by urself in d bios as in wat type of device on dat port..
N try tweaking the LBA mode settings and all..Might jus work..Cause it might be a prob wid d harddisk..
In d other pc dat u tried it,, try booting wid the ide hdd(assuming u hav an os on it)

NOw u tried everything i cud think of before hand,,, BuT since its a puzzle,,, gave it a try!!!:rofl: :rofl:

Bah... i guess u tried the modem Combinations ?? .. just set one drive to the master (placing the jumper 1st frm left ) and the other one to slave ( placing 2nd frm left or just dont use jumper at all ) :) Try it !

Party Monger said:
Lol..

i aint know much but changing a powersuply but dey wil cost u a good amt..:cool2:

get a sata to ide cable n see..:eek:hyeah:

borrow one from ur friend(if someone has) and see...

else one more thing,,, don laugh but format d ide,,,
put it up individually,,
see which slot it appears in d devices screen in bios(dunno d name but the first screen..)
DO same wid writer..

den put it up by urself in d bios as in wat type of device on dat port..
N try tweaking the LBA mode settings and all..Might jus work..Cause it might be a prob wid d harddisk..
In d other pc dat u tried it,, try booting wid the ide hdd(assuming u hav an os on it)

NOw u tried everything i cud think of before hand,,, BuT since its a puzzle,,, gave it a try!!!:rofl: :rofl:

well a simple answer to that.....
all 3 work the same way on another PC ! ..........and ON the Same power supply !

Arihant.exe said:
Bah... i guess u tried the modem Combinations ?? .. just set one drive to the master (placing the jumper 1st frm left ) and the other one to slave ( placing 2nd frm left or just dont use jumper at all ) :) Try it !
All jumpers tried....everything in the book done , the board refuses to detect "both" !

try the using one drive as master, and the other one just leave it jumperless, also check if u can detect both drives in the bios

UPDATE : Guys this is unbelievable.........

Spent my evening with all permutations and combinations...
Tried different IDE device--> failed.
Tried another IDE cable --> failed.
Tried all jumper combinations --> failed.

After all frustration I eye'd the IDE cable ( not yet tried ) given by Intel in the Box itself........I put it up....and and and and :no: woah!.........detects and boots just just just fine !.....

I put another cable back in ....again failed.....( mind it..same cable works absolutely perfect in another system with the same IDE devices ) ....

So what the heck ?
The only difference in both the IDE's is that the Intel IDE cable has 1 chip off'ed wire.....wtf ?

Back