Sony DSc P10 Cybershot Review

This is my first review ever( and also my first useful post) so here goes...

I am quite new to photography and I wanted a simple camera that wud offer good image quality.
I zeroed in on the Sony DSC P10 Cybershot after looking into the features other cameras as well.
Box Contents -

Sony P10 Digital Camera
Lithium Ion Rechargeable Battery
Charger
32Mb Sony Memory Stick
AV and USB Cables
Wrist strap
Sony Software (Pixela Image Mixer)
USB Drivers

Dimensions:
108 x 51.5 x 35.8mm

Weight:
206 g
First impression -

The camera is really small. It would definitely fit into any short pocket. Its compact size ranks it among the smallest among the Sony Cybershot lineup.
Although this camera is almost 2 yrs old I thought its features are still good enough to rival any of the latest cameras.

The button layout is convinient but because of the small size they were slightly cramped. The LCD looked good but on closer observation the images seemed a tad blurred, but I guesss thats a problem only with the LCD because the images have come out really well.
Basic Features -

5.0-megapixel CCD
3x zoom lens
4x digital Zoom
Real-image optical viewfinder
1.5-inch color LCD monitor
Automatic exposure control
Built-in flash with five modes
Sony Memory Stick storage
USB computer connection
InfoLITHIUM battery system (AC adapter included)
Software for Mac and PC
Special Features -

Twilight, Twilight Portrait, Landscape, Beach, Snow, Fireworks, and Fast Shutter preset shooting modes.
Clip Motion animation and Multi-Burst slow motion modes
Movie (with sound) recording mode.
Self-timer for delayed shutter release.
Shutter speeds from 1/2,000 to two seconds
Creative Picture Effects menu.
Macro (close-up) lens adjustment.
Spot and Multi-Metering modes.
Adjustable AF area and three AF modes.
Image Sharpness, Saturation, and Contrast adjustments.
White balance (color) adjustment with six options.
DPOF (Digital Print Order Format) printing compatibility.

Controls -

1.Power button of course
2.Shutter button - for controlling amount of exposure
3.Zoom in/out - by default only the optical zoom is enabled but through the menu digital zoom can also be enabled
3.Four way pad
4.Mode dial - Change through different modes
5.Menu
6.Delete button
7.LCD On/Off button

Modes -
1.Scene Mode - Seven preset scenes are available : Twilight, Twilight Portrait, Landscape, Beach, Snow, Fireworks, and Fast Shutter.
2.Program mode - For custom exposure settings.
3.Automatic mode - As it suggests , the camera chooses the best settings.
4.Playback mode - Scroll through captured images, delete, resize, etc.
5.Movie mode - Record movies at either 640X480 or 160X112 pixels
Fors -

1.Its simplicity makes it very easy to use for beginners like me. Its a great choice if you are looking for a point and shoot camera.
2.With Sony's Memory stick pro the memory can be expanded to 1GB.
3.The obvious one - great image clarity
4.Small size

Against -
1.Not meant for professionals
2.Its aluminium body made it slippery especially when hands are sweaty.

(Will post pics soon) :)

Man, is that DSC P10 or P100???
Is this camera better than Canon A95??As it has Carl-Zeiss lens in it??
And battery wise is this better than Canon??(the battery issue is the only thing which is confusing me regarding my decision on either the Canon A95 or DSC P100) as the P100 comes with a battery charger included, i tend to sway towards it, but sony batteries are damn costlier.....
What do i do??

Regards,
DC.

this is the older P10.. the P100 is more of an recent (upgrade) version..

Cant suggest between the A95 and the P100 though.. check some reviews.. :)

Darthcoder said:
Man, is that DSC P10 or P100???
Is this camera better than Canon A95??As it has Carl-Zeiss lens in it??
And battery wise is this better than Canon??(the battery issue is the only thing which is confusing me regarding my decision on either the Canon A95 or DSC P100) as the P100 comes with a battery charger included, i tend to sway towards it, but sony batteries are damn costlier.....
What do i do??

Regards,
DC.

This is the P10.

Canon A95 is better when it comes to features (only in certain areas such as video recording)..but comparing image quality is difficult.

As far as battery is concerned I believe A95 has NiMh batteries , P10 has Lithium ion batteries which are usually better.(the reason y they are costlier )

@tifosi : a good review

@dc :
while handling between a95 and p100

i also got confused when i purchased my camera.

the things which go in favour of a95(which i purchased)
little bulky butter it provides better handling if you are using for home use more and need to get your self pictured by someone else.

the lense is situated in centre so the chances of getting your finger or hand strap in pic very less (why i mean this because i have many a home user shooting photos with corner blocked with their own fingers even in bulky filme cameras) the p100 has its lens on a side which is a little drawback.

the sleek size of p100 makes operation difficult sometimes you need to look for buttons.

the batteries : the real concern : you definitely need a spare one if you are on a trip and you need to keep it charged. while with a95 the AA batteries you can get in everycorner of world. and its cheap too. the duracel alkaline gives a very decent performance. but i would advise GP recahrgables 2100 mAh with charger which is too cheap compared to sony ones.

otherwise picture quality wise both are neck and neck and video is better with canon.

i have reviewed the cam here
http://www.techenclave.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1453

if you select you will surely be satisfied.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for solving my problem MedPal :D.
Ive been in this dilemma for quite a while now...and with ur advice i will go for A95 as u have clarified the thing abt batteries...thanks :D
So its A95 for me.

Regards,
DC.

Back