Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1 coming in only three weeks time

nilsnaik

Disciple
Sony Ericsson announced the official launch date of their most eagerly expected handset – the XPERIA X1. One of the hottest names of the season will start shipping as early as 30th September in the UK, Germany and Sweden. Wider market availability in Europe, Asia and Latin America will follow until the end of Q4. Earlier rumors that the X1 is delayed for the Q1 of 2009 were troubling the Windows Mobile fans. They can now have a sigh of relief and their only concern should be the tough choice between the Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1 and the HTC Touch Pro. The two most feature-packed WinMo devices are surely in for a tough fight.

Here is what the Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1 is about in case you have forgotten. The couple of highlights of the are most definitely the 3-inch WVGA touchscreen display and the QWERTY keyboard. Besides that, almost all connectivity options are present - from a 3.5mm audio jack to GPS, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth v2.0 with A2DP, everything is on board. Navigation is sweet with the optical joystick, while the 9 available home screens should suit every scenario and all user preferences. The multimedia set includes FM radio without RDS and Media player.

The Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1 also has a 3.2 megapixel camera and will come with 400MB of internal storage. It is also expandable through the microSD card slot. The handset will have support for all the four GSM network bands and two version, each with three 3G network bands. HSDPA and HSUPA are there to ensure the quickest data transfers around.

Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1 will be powered by a 528MHz ARM CPU and will have 256MB of RAM.

Here is the full list of countries that we'll be receiving the second availability wave of XPERIA X1 (due by the end of the year).

APAC: Indonesia, Singapore, Bangladesh, Cambodia, India, Malaysia, Philippines, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam

Western Europe: Spain, France, Italy, Switzerland, Netherlands, Austria, Norway, Denmark, Belgium, Portugal

Central Europe: Poland, Hungary, Czech Republic

Middle East: UAE, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait

Africa: South Africa

Latin America: Argentina, Chile, Uruguay, Paraguay and Bolivia

september seems to be interesing this year. Android too is rumoured to debut this month. I am keeping my fingers crossed at preparing to bid adieu my trusty old wizard!

India is in the second wave, so availablity in india will be only by the end of the year.

But a point to note , Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1 will be powered by a 528MHz ARM CPU and will have 256MB of RAM.

This is sexy!!

I honestly wouldn't mind paying 25k to upgrade from my P990i if Android flops. I'm pretty sure this wont disappoint, the spec don't atleast!

Theres no doubt that this would be way better than iPhone (at least going by the specs and the fact that SE already released an SDK for this Phone), but it has a rumored price tag of around 590 Pounds or $1100.

Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 release date named | Register Hardware

If Apple can sell the half baked iPhone for 31k in India. I am guessing that the 1100$ for Xperia X1 would translate to somewhere between 50~60k in India.

btw, this Phone was made by HTC for SE and its just a heavily modified HTC Touch Pro. Check out the specs of both phones. They are almost the same expect for the larger screen.

heavily modified HTC Touch Pro

whoa, the Xperia is winMo? :cry:

I had major hopes from this phone but Unless SE did a major revamp on the OS (unlikely), good luck to the folks who think this is the next best thing after sliced bread :rofl:

They can't change the RTOS kernel (closed source)

At best they can put a good UI wrapper which HTC tried with the touch but really couldn't manage to fix the abomination that WinMo is

Problem with WinMo is that it essentially uses a subset of the same desktop UI as windows

Now that UI may work well within a desktop environment where you have a full blown keyboard /mouse etc.

But port the same UI to a limited accessibility device like a phone and you have a nightmare at hand

superczar said:
They can't change the RTOS kernel (closed source)

At best they can put a good UI wrapper which HTC tried with the touch but really couldn't manage to fix the abomination that WinMo is

Exactly my thoughts. The only thing that's keeping me from buying this phone (apart from speculated high price tag), is the OS. Sure WinMo's got better with each revision, but it's still not that good. The specs on this phone are really great, but WinMo has capacity to make joke out of great hardware specs.

superczar said:
Problem with WinMo is that it essentially uses a subset of the same desktop UI as windows
Now that UI may work well within a desktop environment where you have a full blown keyboard /mouse etc.
But port the same UI to a limited accessibility device like a phone and you have a nightmare at hand
True but this phone does have a full fledged keyboard and an Optical track pad of sorts.

Still lets see how it pans out, keeping my fingers tightly crossed.

Anish. Just think about UIQ 3.1 and Symbian 9.5 on this Specs.:eek:hyeah:
Phone will be damn fast. :) Even i was hoping sony to port UIQ into it.
But still lets see how is phone goona perform with WINMO. If it is good then it will be my upgrade as well from P990i.

Anish said:
True but this phone does have a full fledged keyboard and an Optical track pad of sorts.

I never said anything about features or hardware specs on this phone, they are amazing. But the software to make use of great hardware, is what I'm not much happy with. Think of it something like this... A great car like Porsche or McLarren, and you have rikshawala in driver's seat. Okay, maybe that was too extreme for comparision, but catch me drift.

cisco_tech said:
Just think about UIQ 3.1 and Symbian 9.5 on this Specs.

Phone will be damn fast. Even i was hoping sony to port UIQ into it.

SE's implementation of UIQ on P9xx series is the best till date. The ill fated M600 was the worst (read: sluggish) implementation in my personal experience. In fact, I didn't find my friend's P1i that impressive either.

I was hoping them to repair their mistakes with UIQ with Xperia, but instead they chose WinMo for a shocker.

Anyway, it's not like I'm going to buy one (given the speculated price)... but I'll reserve my final judgement till I actually have hands-on on one.

iGo said:
SE's implementation of UIQ on P9xx series is the best till date. The ill fated M600 was the worst (read: sluggish) implementation in my personal experience. In fact, I didn't find my friend's P1i that impressive either.

I was hoping them to repair their mistakes with UIQ with Xperia, but instead they chose WinMo for a shocker.

P1i was terrible with the stock firmware that shipped with the phone. With firmware updates, its pretty damn fast now and other than an odd rare moment, its quite fast and mature now. So far in nine months of usage, I've suffered only two crashes both of which were fixed by rebooting the phone.

Back