Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1 coming in only three weeks time

Chaos said:
With firmware updates, its pretty damn fast now and other than an odd rare moment, its quite fast and mature now.

In that case, I shall stand corrected. My friend had bought it after a month it was launched (and as I tried it then), I have no idea about current performance of P1i (after firmware upgrades).

iGo said:
I was hoping them to repair their mistakes with UIQ with Xperia, but instead they chose WinMo for a shocker.

XPeria X1 was never intended to be a Symbian phone from the start. It was intended to introduce SE into the Win Mobile market. Its also not a successor to the P9xx series as some people seem to think. Its a whole new series of which X1 is the first launch.

Lord Nemesis said:
XPeria X1 was never intended to be a Symbian phone from the start.

Yeh, I understand that... but when the first news hit interwebs about Xperia X1, I wasn't aware that SE was planning to step in WinMo world. So as soon as I saw the pic and read the specs, I was like, "Cool device!!". That is, till I read the part in the article where WinMo was mentioned. :)

Hence, the skepticism!!

superczar said:
They can't change the RTOS kernel (closed source)

At best they can put a good UI wrapper which HTC tried with the touch but really couldn't manage to fix the abomination that WinMo is

Problem with WinMo is that it essentially uses a subset of the same desktop UI as windows

Now that UI may work well within a desktop environment where you have a full blown keyboard /mouse etc.

But port the same UI to a limited accessibility device like a phone and you have a nightmare at hand

Actually, they can. Pretty much the entire source code of the WinCE kernel is available for licensees to use. On top of that, MS provides a platform builder which you can use to build a custom kernel+driver+app set. Sony has changed the UI, I'm guessing this is the tool they use. The speed should be improved since they are using 6.1 (which is much more responsive than 6 by all accounts). If the phone is potentially upgradeable to Win Mo 7, I am jumping for it.

Back