Sony WH-1000XM5 MKBHD review

ninjenstein

Disciple
Here's the MKBHD review. Sound quality is pretty much the same, but they do have better noise cancelling than the XM4. "But the XM4 is still 90% of the XM5".

Not bad but then should not have required 5 iterations to get there :rolleyes:

This is an easy test because these big YT's don't really test anything much.

They just do marketing bla bla.

These will launch at the $400 mark. The wholesale i think won't be much over $150

There will be tons of reviews for this model i bet like the earlier ones because there's incentives ;)

Check iPhonedo for headphone review. Faruk does this lot lot better than these other YTers who just read out specs and barely do any testing before certifying it as good or bad. Also, I am waiting for someone like Joshua Valour to test it.

Also, see the opening footage of his Sony Xperia 1 MKIV.

Shocking how this video only has 13k views on YT.

Last edited:
Not bad but then should not have required 5 iterations to get there :rolleyes:
MHBHD's review on mic quality wasn't accurate at all given the environment.
This review does it better at highlighting how good the new mic noise cancellation is.
In short, the difference is night & day, compared to previous iterations.

Having owned both Mark2 & Mark3, I can confidently say that these two are useless for calls.
Even a 2k neckband does a better job at call quality.

Having said that, I don't think it would be much of an upgrade over the previous iterations.
The previous versions were already comfortable for long hours.
Or it's just me accustomed to wearing them for longish hours for the past 4 years.

After trying out various professional headsets (Plantronics C3220/C5220, Jabra 20UC, a couple of Plantronics) and other combo's,
I settled with a combination of Mark3 coupled with VModa Boom Pro mic and Creative Sound Blaster Play 4!
This combination offers the best of both worlds, mic noise cancellation and ambient noise cancellation on headphones,
which is lacking in most professional headsets that offer just mic noise cancellation.

If Mark5 can somehow achieve the same level of mic noise cancellation, then it is worth it.

Last edited:
Also, see the opening footage of his Sony Xperia 1 MKIV.

Shocking how this video only has 13k views on YT.
Does Sony even sell phones in India anymore?
Or are there good channels to import them to India?
Edit: The camera capabilities demonstrated in the video are truly amazing. :( If only they released it here at a competitive price.

Last edited:
Who still relies on MKBHD "reviews" in 2022?
These bigger youtubers are just a marketing platform now. Bling bling studios and 8K video camera recording don't make them credible anymore.
I'm saying this only because the OP specifically shared that particular youtube video.

MHBHD's review on mic quality wasn't accurate at all given the environment.
This review does it better at highlighting how good the new mic noise cancellation is.
In short, the difference is night & day, compared to previous iterations.
Because Sony decided to put more effort into it.

What he displayed there, better quality TWS (all 3 you hear there can compete with Mk5 for mic quality) have managed to do already

Something the Bose QC30 is unable to do. Great ANC just don't juse it for calls outdoors.

'Better' means a TWS that has an mic that goes inside the ear which is used as reference to filter what the external mics are hearing. Mk5 is doing the same thing.

Makes you wonder as to the future of these headphones when TWS can do it already at half the price, ANC included.

Cans are easier to use and comfort is better. Literally day long battery life and Class A BT radios that can range 30m instead of 30ft with Class B that the earbuds have.
Having owned both Mark2 & Mark3, I can confidently say that these two are useless for calls.
Even a 2k neckband does a better job at call quality.

Having said that, I don't think it would be much of an upgrade over the previous iterations.
The previous versions were already comfortable for long hours.
Or it's just me accustomed to wearing them for longish hours for the past 4 years.

After trying out various professional headsets (Plantronics C3220/C5220, Jabra 20UC, a couple of Plantronics) and other combo's,
I settled with a combination of Mark3 coupled with VModa Boom Pro mic and Creative Sound Blaster Play 4!
This combination offers the best of both worlds, mic noise cancellation and ambient noise cancellation on headphones,
which is lacking in most professional headsets that offer just mic noise cancellation.

If Mark5 can somehow achieve the same level of mic noise cancellation, then it is worth it.
I've seen your post on this earlier. Stellar work mate :)

Last edited:
@sriharsha_m is that mic and DAC really that good in general use or for that BT headset specifically?
No, the combo is not specific to BT headphones as such, and it works with any headphones that have a detachable 3.5mm port.
TBH, I use the combo only for taking long/important calls as the cable clutter is too much.

The good thing about the mic is the voice clarity.
It sounds so open & natural unlike the muffled voice of the usual neckbands/tws/professional headsets.

The downside of this is, there is no mic noise cancellation at all and this being a unidirectional mic, it picks up everything,
and this is where Creative Play 4 comes into play for the awesome noise clean in/out features.

The downside of play 4 is that all the noise cancellation magic is software processed
and they only have a windows app. So, even though it works like a type-c DAC for mobile,
it sadly doesn't offer the noise cancellation features due to the lack of any mobile app.

They did launch a cardioid pattern variant this year, called the Boom Pro X,
but the natural voice signature is gone, and sounds muffled like any other headset mics.

Last edited:
The good thing about the mic is the voice clarity.
It sounds so open & natural unlike the muffled voice of the usual neckbands/tws/professional headsets.

The downside of this is, there is no mic noise cancellation at all and this being a unidirectional mic, it picks up everything,
and this is where Creative Play 4 comes into play for the awesome noise clean in/out features.
I'm no audiophile nor do I have the budget for such but good to know. Thanks.
I wish you could review the Logitech Pro X headset and compare the two.

+1
It was this crazy video which got me hooked to the channel.

So this blue parrot by Jabra was available a year ago but the reviews are terrible. What gives !!

People contesting that 100 feet range claim. The mic volume is too low on the blue parrot

The Voyager 5200 goes for twice as much. Not been updated since 2016. Still No usb c. Battery lasts only 6h. BT 4.

The Voyager UC variant is twice as much. It's as old.

Back