Budget Above 25K Sony Xperia...advise please

mohit1981

Disciple
Hi,
I am looking for the new smartphone. I am tilted towards Sony Xperia ZL. Please advise if it would be the god buy or should I also consider any other phone in the similar price range.
Xperia ZR also has similar features. So, is Xperia ZL worth the extra price?
Budget?
A: 27k (lower the better)
2. Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?
A: Bar
3. Preferred display type?
A: TFT/ Amoled
4. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: Would prefer reputed brand like Samsung, Sony etc
5. Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: Touchscreen
6. Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.
A: Require a HD camera with Flash.
7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Android
8. Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
A: 3G/wifi/4G.
9. What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
A: Camera, mails and internet apart from calling.
10. Any other requirements?
A: I plan to keep the phone for atleast next 5-6 years. So, looking for the phone from the company that will support it for these manay years in terms of updates etc. Should have 5" screen and decent battery life
11. If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
A: Xperia ZL, Galaxy Grand Dual 2, Nexus 5

From above listed devices you should get Nexus 5 eyes closed. A very good community support will be there after Google stops updating the device. However on storage front you have to compromise.

Thanks you all for your advise...though I would keep Nexus 5 as one of the final shortlisted, I would also need the advise between Galaxy Grand 2, Xperia ZR and Xperia ZL
In comparison Xperia ZL score better than Nexus 5 and is also cheaper!!! Except for the slight difference in CPU, GPU and screen type, in most other aspects ZL and ZR seem to score better.
http://www.smartprix.com/mobiles/compare.php?ids=3094,2492,11013nuueyb
I am not much into the games or interested in watching full movie on the phone. I mainly need it for normal internet browsing, photos apart from normal .
If I have to choose between Xperia ZR and ZL, which would be the better option? Is Xperia ZL worth the extra price over ZR?

Thanks you all for your advise...though I would keep Nexus 5 as one of the final shortlisted, I would also need the advise between Galaxy Grand 2, Xperia ZR and Xperia ZL
In comparison Xperia ZL score better than Nexus 5 and is also cheaper!!! Except for the slight difference in CPU, GPU and screen type, in most other aspects ZL and ZR seem to score better.

If I have to choose between Xperia ZR and ZL, which would be the better option? Is Xperia ZL worth the extra price over ZR?

Difference in CPU-GPU of Xperia Zx and Nexus 5 is not slight :p The chipsets of Xperia Zx are that of Nexus 4. Nexus series phones offer best raw performance for the price one pays. From your mentioned phones I would rate them as following;

Nexus 5 > Xperia ZL > Xperia ZR > Grand 2

I am not much into the games or interested in watching full movie on the phone. I mainly need it for normal internet browsing, photos apart from normal.

Thought of Lumia ?

Thanks Vyral. I am interested in Android phone only. Nexus 5 may be way ahead of the other mentioned phone in terms of CPU-GPU, but I may not require it for my daily/ normal usage (which is calling, messaging, internet browsing ( including youtube), good quality HD photos/videos, good connectivity of wifi/GPS, better battery life, basics games like fruit cutter, temple run etc).

Major attraction of Xperia for me is the premium features (some that makes it future proof) like 4G connectivity, NFC, Panorama, high megapixel camera (HDR video), HD screen attractive build which is not there in other phones (of major reputed brands ) in the similar price range except for Nexus 5 (which is bit highly priced). Also if I am not wrong, they are upgrading the firmware of Xperia Z series phone to KitKat!

Major concern with Nexus 5 and Xperia ZL it seems is the non removable battery. How can we change the battery if it degrades or if phone is hanged?

Major concern with Nexus 5 and Xperia ZL it seems is the non removable battery. How can we change the battery if it degrades or if phone is hanged?

In case when battery degrades & needs to be replaced only option is to take your phone to service centre. This is one of downer for few people like us but fortunately till now I have not faced such issue in my brother's Lumia 720 - which again has non-removable battery.

Get a note 2 if possible has the screen you prefer, removable battery , sd card slot and has amazing battery life .. ya it may not pack a punch in terms of software and hardware with the current gen phones but you won't feel disappointed by any means . It has the android 4.3 to and is expecting 4.4 in feb/mar 2014 .. I was using a xperia ZL but the battery life is really low for my liking especially if you are 3G user.. at the current price rates note 2 will be a bang for buck in your budget .:)

I went to demo the phones today. Nexus 5 and Grand 2 were not available. Only phone I could actually see was Xperia ZR as most shopkeepers are claiming that Xperia ZL has been discoutinued!

Will the 4G feature of Xperia ZR/ZL be compatible with the 4G service that will be launched next year? None of the shopkeeper was aware of it!

I have also been advised to consider Lenovo S820, P780 as well as Xperia C& SP. These phones are also feature rich and HD picture and movie quality. They have good review on flipkart as well.

They also cost significantly less than Xperia ZR/ZL....What would be your advise on these phones?

For my usage, I don't think I would require a very top end processor as I would hardly been using any graphic intensive application. My extreme usage might be like using the whatsapp, email, call recording software, web browser (youtube)/ or playing game like templerun at the same time.

Get a note 2 if possible has the screen you prefer, removable battery , sd card slot and has amazing battery life .. ya it may not pack a punch in terms of software and hardware with the current gen phones but you won't feel disappointed by any means . It has the android 4.3 to and is expecting 4.4 in feb/mar 2014 .. I was using a xperia ZL but the battery life is really low for my liking especially if you are 3G user.. at the current price rates note 2 will be a bang for buck in your budget .:)
Buddy, I checked its price and it is costing for than 30k :( That is beyond my budget...

Get a Nexus 5
If you go by looks you can go for htc butterfly
Sony simply is not good enough and i have used xperia z for 3 months and later xperia zr for another 2 months
Xperia ZR displays sucks in front of other mobiles even in front of xperia z and xperia Z's display sucks in front of other displays even against htc one x......The sony camera's also suck great time and xperia ZR has one of the worst...Sony mobiles get charged fast but also discharges faster IMO battery were not good....Build quality wise sony leads in the android.

I would also suggest you to look in to optimus g pro which might also fall in your bracket...
Check with g pro : http://www.smartprix.com/mobiles/compare.php?ids=3094,2492,11013nuueyb,2746

And regarding updates for 5 years...even nexus may not get more than 2 years...be realistic :p

Last edited:
Back