Budget 20-25K Sony Xperia SP or Samsung Galaxy S3 or Moto G :P

Corleone

Adept
1. Budget?
A: ~ 20-22K
2. Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?
A: Bar
3. Preferred display type?
A: TFT
4. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: Leaning towards the Sony as I like my wife's Xperia P
5. Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: Touchscreen
6. Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.
A: Preferably 8MP, Front camera and Flash
7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Android with surety of KitKat 4.4 update lined up
8. Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
A: 3G & Wifi
9. What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
A: Calling, Conference calls, Roaming, Emails, Messaging, Surfing
10. Any other requirements?
A: Must have superb Network Latching ability
11. If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
A: Xperia SP or Galaxy S3

The most important thing is ability to latch to networks (2g & 3g) without any issues and Call clarity (in ear & speaker) as I travel a lot and mostly talk on conference calls.

They don't assume it works, its just a statement that a build exists for a particular model. Its stability is ambigious. So you can say there is a build but recommending to somebody else is contingent on your own experience.

With CM i can say stable build exists (or not). That's already a lot. Maybe i'm reading too much into what 'stable' means here. How stable is stable anyway.

I'm surprised there isn't a official build as i recall there was quite a buzz around the SP when it launched. Great battery life, good specs for the price etc.

The call quality is only half as good as the ones you are considering incld the galaxy grand 2, according to Ranjit. He tested the intl version of g which he sourced from the UK. I doubt the dual sim will have better quality. India will only be getting the dual sim variant so you can forget about any 3rd party support in the future.

Since you need call quality better to avoid.

You never answered how long you want the phone to last before your next purchase. What is your expectation ?

The call quality is only half as good as the ones you are considering incld the galaxy grand 2, according to Ranjit. He tested the intl version of g which he sourced from the UK. I doubt the dual sim will have better quality. India will only be getting the dual sim variant so you can forget about any 3rd party support in the future.

Since you need call quality better to avoid.

You never answered how long you want the phone to last before your next purchase. What is your expectation ?
Okay. Consider a maximum of 2 years before next purchase.

The S3 is good today, that means it was good for 2 years after launch.

The question is will it be good 4 years after launch.

Anyone want to comment ?

Boils down to the owner
  • H/W aficionado's and heavy android user will upgrade within a year tops
  • Owner's who use apps that are tailored to be battery efficient will upgrade within two years
  • First-time Android owner's might upgrade sometime after two years

S3 will be plenty for the next two years!
You have custom ROMs for your update needs and the camera is still one of the best around!
As far as the Moto G is concerned, you should look at what other reviewers have to say! Its a decent handset overall but now Lenovo will be calling the shots so you might want to think about it!
Go for the SP only if you think you need the luminescent bar ( absolutely sexy) it has. Else the S3 is plenty for your needs! :)

O
S3 will be plenty for the next two years!
You have custom ROMs for your update needs and the camera is still one of the best around!
As far as the Moto G is concerned, you should look at what other reviewers have to say! Its a decent handset overall but now Lenovo will be calling the shots so you might want to think about it!
Go for the SP only if you think you need the luminescent bar ( absolutely sexy) it has. Else the S3 is plenty for your needs! :)
Okay. Thanks

Ranjit reviewed the indian moto g and gave the voice call quality 7.5/10 or good enough. The intl. version was only 5/10.

So how badly do you need 9/10 voice call quality, better camera, user-replaceable battery & microsd card ?

Ranjit reviewed the indian moto g and gave the voice call quality 7.5/10 or good enough. The intl. version was only 5/10.

So how badly do you need 9/10 voice call quality, better camera, user-replaceable battery & microsd card ?

7.5 is good enough for me. But, seems fishy that international version has 5 & indian version has 7.5. Camera I hardly use. Microsd not needed (so far as internal memory is 16). Non-user replaceable battery is a con though :(

I'd put it down to early adopter quality issues. They tend to get this sorted out by the first month or two. Could also be a sign of uneven quality.

Why not ask a friend and see for yourself what the call quality is like. 7.5 to 9+ isn't that much. Everybody raves about the build quality and how it feels in the hand. Usually you pay double to get that.

Btw this is a dual standby not a dual active phone. So you pick which sim is the primary and the secondary will not work if somebody calls it.

Battery is good for a normal day use. Unless you play games.

The S3 is still a better phone. Flagship for the price of a midrange.

I'd put it down to early adopter quality issues. They tend to get this sorted out by the first month or two. Could also be a sign of uneven quality.

Why not ask a friend and see for yourself what the call quality is like. 7.5 to 9+ isn't that much. Everybody raves about the build quality and how it feels in the hand. Usually you pay double to get that.

Btw this is a dual standby not a dual active phone. So you pick which sim is the primary and the secondary will not work if somebody calls it.

Battery is good for a normal day use. Unless you play games.

The S3 is still a better phone. Flagship for the price of a midrange.
Okay that seems fair. I've asked a few people on other forums who have actually received the indian dual sim version. They swear by it.

The dual thing is not so important. Even if the phone was not dual sim, I wouldn't have bothered. Games - play them hardly. Mostly the phone is used for work - email, calls and stuff.

I had nearly finalised S3 and Moto G was launched so getting tempted to order it :p

If u need good camera capabilities 8mp and 1080p and no dual Sim requirements go for S3...
If u need to only use apps like gmail..fb..g+...whatsapp...and may in future use dual sim go for Moto G...its a mini nexus...
Am myself using this after using Nexus 5 bcz I wanted dual Sim...

Back