Sony Xperia U - Buy it? (Stop me from hesitating)

Have ordered a Nokia x2-02 and HTC explorer for my friends from Sulekha. They ship within their time frame.
No first hand experience with BTP. But if you have an ICICI card then I guess BTP would work out to be the cheapest.
Terms & Conditions Buytheprice Offer
Its a flat 5% off. So the price should be a shade over 15k from BTP.
@comp@ddict -> I thought you are waiting for the Ace 2. Or else you can at least wait to see what SoC the Spice dual core phone that is going to be priced @12k offers.

Last edited by a moderator:
comp@ddict -> I thought you are waiting for the Ace 2. Or else you can at least wait to see what SoC the Spice dual core phone that is going to be priced @12k offers.

I am getting impatient. And I'm bored (seriously, to death, even with writing articles for sites and blogging and exercising daily and watching shows to keep me busy. SHifted to a new city, Hyderabad. Know nobody, need a distraction soo enough)

Well, my mind has already changed. Ace 2, well don't know. I hadn't heard of a dual core Spice phone, which one are you talking about?

If it's the 5" monster, that one is a single core AFAIK.

Also, here's my proposition:

- Grab the MMX Funbook (the tablet is soo good, check video here Micromax Funbook Full Review - iGyaan - YouTube) and it's only 6k right now. That's very very cheap!

- Get a 9-10k phone later, something like Spice or something else itself as you suggested.

DarkAngel What do you say?

Rocker12345 Yeah, sad.

kvikram explain that math to my dad :p

F3niX I would make fun of a person carrying a USB to listen to songs. So I wont do it myself. Plus I listen to too many songs, like 10-12 GB (320 kbps) collection. And I listen to all of them at least once a month.

RoBoGhOsT you're right

comp@ddict - All the websites had mentioned that the Spice 5" phone has a 1GHz Qualcomm dual core processor! If not then it ain't worth the price and the 4" model that costs 9.4k is a better bet.

As you know already the Funbook has the same GPU as the Xperia U i.e, Mali 400 MP1 (or MP2). So the gaming experience would be similar.
But the battery life is not so great and it would be difficult to game while say traveling in bus. So if your usage pattern is just gaming @ home and you can manage gaming with it on the move then I guess its a good choice. You will get a bigger screen to play games with and it comes with ICS OOB too.

But you will miss browsing with 3G on the go as the Funbook only support Tata photon EVDO dongle and nothing else.

Don't worry, I will be using it to study in the library, carrying PDF copies of textbooks. I'm happy I can't game long on it. Incentive to concentrate on studies in the library and gaming in my room.
@DarkAngel My dad reacted quite nicely to a tablet. Heard of the newly announced Acer Iconia Tab A110?

It's a quad core (tegra 3), 1GB RAM, 7" 1024x600 screen, 8GB storage, 5MP AF LED camera, 2MP front cam, Android 4.0.4 ICS

And it launches for 199$, or roughly 12k. Now my dad said, if it's worth it, grab that instead of the FunBook.

Would you say it's worth paying the premium? Double the price for all this? Or should I just stick to the FunBook and grab a 9-10k phone (I have time till last week of July)

@comp@ddict - The A110 launch date is mentioned as Q3. So I am not sure when it will reach India.
It is rumored that Google might announce their Nexus Tab on June 27-29(Google I/O conference). It has specs similar to Acer A110 but a much better 1280*768 resolution. Its also mostly manufactured by Asus which is a better tablet OEM than Acer. But again we cant say when it will land in India. ( I might get this tablet)

Since you wont be gaming a lot then I guess the SoC doesnt matter that much to you. But still the Acer would give you a better resolution and a better screen IINM.
You can get the funbook for a shade under 6k now. Later in the year you can sell it for 3.5k or so and go for a Nexus Tab @ 11k-12k (if the need arises. Hope I am not confusing you further)

As you have said tablet would be more suitable to make you concentrate more on your studies rather than gaming all the time :p

Just a month's wait more for the Ace 2 , hold on :)

I'm waiting as well..

And yeah i also did that math , buy a SGSII , use it for 4 years , around Rs. 20-25 per day ... still , i m nopt used to carry around such a pricey thing , i even fear thinking og loosing the phone on a bbus or something :D

@DarkAngel I will game, just not in the library :p

And no buying selling, once bought, I'm set for 1.5-2 years. Even I'm awaiting the Google I/O to see this tablet. If it really is $149

The $149 Google Nexus Tablet - Analysis

Acer Tab is launching Q3, but Q3 starts next month. Even if the tab arrives end of July, start of August, I'm fine with it. Meanwhile, Google Nexus Tab will also be another option. Hope it's awesome (google, WE trust YOU).
@mitraark Realised Galaxy Ace 2 looks horrible

If you need higher storage, well you have Following options,but at a slightly higher price:
- Xperia Sola
- Galaxy S Advance(20K or lesser if imported)
- Galaxy Nexus 22-23K, but best bang for the buck!!

Else, Wait for Ace 2 and other Dual cores to come

Experia U is a waste of what could be an awesome device for the price. 4Gb is just too less. I was in the same boat as you, but I increased a budget a little and got a note from the market section. Best purchase I have made till date, the 5.3" screen is beautiful, and you will never want to go back to anything smaller.

If you need higher storage, well you have Following options,but at a slightly higher price:
- Xperia Sola
- Galaxy S Advance(20K or lesser if imported)
- Galaxy Nexus 22-23K, but best bang for the buck!!

Else, Wait for Ace 2 and other Dual cores to come

15k is fixed, at the most 15.5k
@Aces170 Totally agree. But I find a screen larger than 4.3" too big. 4" is the ideal size for me.
@DarkAngel I think I will go ahead with the MMX Funbook. Don't see myself buying a quad-core tablet. Won't need it honestly. And it's bound to cost in excess of 13k. I want to buy a tablet + phone in 15-16k.

That means a 6k Funbook will leave 10k for a smartphone, which is still decent for me.

So should I go ahead? Any best deals available? Anywhere where I can get it for the lowest price? Or with the Tata Photon Dongle?

@DarkAngel - Went ahead and ordered the MMX Funbook @ Rs. 5,970 from Sulekha Deals.

Now phone budget falls to under 10k. Hope some good budget devices come up next few weeks. Or just that Karbonn A9's dev scene speeds up (already quick, few days, page 25 on XDA already!)

@comp@ddict - Decent deal on the Funbook. Congrats on the new buy.
Yeah, wait for a while. You have a new tablet, so wait till you get bored with playing on it. Spice Mi-415 seems to be a better bet than Karbonn IMO (Except the paltry internal memory)

comp@ddict - Decent deal on the Funbook. Congrats on the new buy.
Yeah, wait for a while. You have a new tablet, so wait till you get bored with playing on it. Spice Mi-415 seems to be a better bet than Karbonn IMO (Except the paltry internal memory)

Haha, thanks!

Yeah, but Only Time Will Tell (will keep a keen eye on the development over at XDA), or maybe a good budget handset launches.

Back