SOPA : Death of internet?

The bill would authorize the U.S. Department of Justice to seek court orders against websites outside U.S. jurisdiction accused of infringing on copyrights, or of enabling or facilitating copyright infringement.[4] After delivering a court order, the U.S. Attorney-General could require US-directed Internet service providers, ad networks, and payment processors to suspend doing business with sites found to infringe on federal criminal intellectual property laws. The Attorney-General could also bar search engines from displaying links to the sites.[10]

The bill also establishes a two-step process for intellectual property rights holders to seek relief if they have been harmed by a site dedicated to infringement. The rights holder must first notify, in writing, related payment facilitators and ad networks of the identity of the website, who, in turn, must then forward that notification and suspend services to that identified website, unless that site provides a counter notification explaining how it is not in violation. The rights holder can then sue for limited injunctive relief against the site operator, if such a counter notification is provided, or if the payment or advertising services fail to suspend service in the absence of a counter notification.[10]

The bill provides immunity from liability to the ad and payment networks that comply with this Act or that take voluntary action to cut ties to such sites. Any copyright holder who knowingly misrepresents that a website is dedicated to infringement would be liable for damages.[4] The second section increases the penalties for streaming video and for selling counterfeit drugs, military materials or consumer goods. The bill would make unauthorized streaming of copyrighted content a felony.[10]

According to co-sponsor Representative Bob Goodlatte (R-VA), chairman of the House Judiciary Committee's Intellectual Property sub-panel, SOPA represents a rewrite of the PROTECT IP Act to address tech industry concerns. Goodlatte told The Hill that the new version requires court approval for action against search engines.[11] The Senate version, PROTECT IP, does not.[12][13]

Stop Online Piracy Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
What is SOPA Bill 2012? 7 Things to Know About Controversial Legislation - International Business Times
Everything You Need To Know About SOPA & The New Copyfight - hypebot

Death of Internet as we know it?whats Your Views?

hmm i doubt it will be able to stop piracy entirely :) people wil find alternatives and if im not wrong this is being enforced in developed countries and doubt there will be any effect in a country like india where the police hav lot of other work then checking piracy

I disagree, its a mess and India could very well be affected. Look at what Reliance is doing now. Filesharing websites blocked. Could be a disaster. Can also be used to control what people say and internet will become a government puppet just like half the mainstream media is.

SOPA is total BS. Best is to get additional domains which dont fall under control of the US so that they cannot be blocked easily as it happens now.

Go Daddy removed support for it after many of its customers decided/planned to migrate to other domain resellers/hosters.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

BTW, shouldn't this thread be in Internet talk/P2P?

Stop over hyping SOPA it will barely have any effect on us unless our government follow;s the same suite which i highly doubt.

anyhow if the Bill passes people in the US are really screwed and they will be totally cut off from the rest of the world for me SOPA is death of the internet but only for people living in the US :p

^I think it will only be a matter of time before other countries follow suit. But I am sure the hackers would find a way. Piracy is a multi billion dollar business, it won't be easy to contain it that easily.

Wait a minute other countries dont have MPAA or RIAA like organizations,Take our country for example.

Do we have a proper body to regulate copyright content in our country?

Most of the big productions studios are in the US and there main concern is that the people of USA are getting their content for free,are they concerned about other countries?

No, because a majority of the internet is NOT based on providing services based on nations/countries/similar demarcations.

What will be an issue will be where websites are hosted out of.

Who needs SOPA here when companies like reliance can block websites on their own accord by getting john doe orders.

ubergeek said:
be that as it may but when your going to provide a service in some other country wont you be following that country's law ?
No otherwise thepiratebay would have closed down a long time ago.

Isn't techenclave also hosted on US servers? On mobile right now so can't check.

here is the whois info :p

WHOIS information for techenclave.com :

[Querying whois.verisign-grs.com]

[whois.verisign-grs.com]

Whois Server Version 2.0

Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered

with many different competing registrars. Go to InterNIC | The Internet's Network Information Center

for detailed information.

Domain Name: TECHENCLAVE.COM

Registrar: ENOM, INC.

Whois Server: whois.enom.com

Referral URL: eNom - domain name, web site hosting, email, registration

Name Server: NS1.TECHENCLAVE.COM

Name Server: NS2.TECHENCLAVE.COM

Updated Date: 30-jul-2011

Creation Date: 02-feb-2005

Expiration Date: 02-feb-2017

i dont get it if some one is publishing copyrighted content on facebook that means facebook would be not made viewable from other parts of the country?

ubergeek said:
Stop over hyping SOPA it will barely have any effect on us unless our government follow;s the same suite which i highly doubt.
anyhow if the Bill passes people in the US are really screwed and they will be totally cut off from the rest of the world for me SOPA is death of the internet but only for people living in the US :p

We all are speculating the ramifications of such a bill on India. The reason I am not happy about this is cause:

1. Indian ministers are all ready ape-sh$$ about the www; with K.Sibal as the "tip of the spear".
2. Companies like Reliance so easily getting John Doe orders; against sites we hate to talk about, but love to use.
3. People who sign off bills here; really do not understand the net.
4. ISPs love to loop-hole policies, and use the TRAI mandate license as they deem wish.
5. (4) want to milk the cow --- make most out FUP/bandwidth limiting/throttling algorithms which have water tight alibis backed by government policy.
6. The "voice" of users is never heard considering issues like net/telecom. You saw how long it took them to implement solicitation using sms/calls -- and still people can circumvent that.
7. Our government loves controllership.

Funny thing is content creators have nothing against piracy. Some of the musicians,directors,actors have even said that it's ok to pirate their work as long as people watch/listen to them.

Also SOPA & PIPA are just disguised act where real intention is internet censorship. Ironic, isn't it? It's the same uncle Sam who criticizes great firewall of China.

How SOPA Could Ruin My Life - Forbes

^^ all govts love censorship.Its not just our govt.Control over minds so that they can continue this sham democracy.Its just that ordinary people like us lose out so it is very essential that we get empowered with the technologies which can subvert the system.Companies will always toe the govt line just look at wikileaks versus mastercard/visa/paypal.

Back