SOPA : Death of internet?

Mr.J said:
Funny thing is content creators have nothing against piracy. Some of the musicians,directors,actors have even said that it's ok to pirate their work as long as people watch/listen to them.

Also SOPA & PIPA are just disguised act where real intention is internet censorship. Ironic, isn't it? It's the same uncle Sam who criticizes great firewall of China.

How SOPA Could Ruin My Life - Forbes

Naah, its two fold. Its the labels who are against music piracy. Ditto for movies and games from their respective sides. Then we have the govt who thinks they will have some sort of censorship!

After all, who does not like power?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

asingh said:
We all are speculating the ramifications of such a bill on India. The reason I am not happy about this is cause:

1. Indian ministers are all ready ape-sh$$ about the www; with K.Sibal as the "tip of the spear".

2. Companies like Reliance so easily getting John Doe orders; against sites we hate to talk about, but love to use.

3. People who sign off bills here; really do not understand the net.

4. ISPs love to loop-hole policies, and use the TRAI mandate license as they deem wish.

5. (4) want to milk the cow --- make most out FUP/bandwidth limiting/throttling algorithms which have water tight alibis backed by government policy.

6. The "voice" of users is never heard considering issues like net/telecom. You saw how long it took them to implement solicitation using sms/calls -- and still people can circumvent that.

7. Our government loves controllership.

1. Ministers dont realise that there is a feedback to remove such content from the web, no need to go around banning it.

2. Reliance thinks that all filesharing sites must shut down. Guess we will be back to the days of sending emails with split archives.

3. Those who sign the bills understand the "rokda" sign only.

4 ~ 7 I dont even want comment on it. Screw them ISPs. They have learnings from 2 big scumbags in this respect, Apple and the next in line, The US Govt.

asingh said:
We all are speculating the ramifications of such a bill on India. The reason I am not happy about this is cause:

1. Indian ministers are all ready ape-sh$$ about the www; with K.Sibal as the "tip of the spear".

2. Companies like Reliance so easily getting John Doe orders; against sites we hate to talk about, but love to use.

3. People who sign off bills here; really do not understand the net.

4. ISPs love to loop-hole policies, and use the TRAI mandate license as they deem wish.

5. (4) want to milk the cow --- make most out FUP/bandwidth limiting/throttling algorithms which have water tight alibis backed by government policy.

6. The "voice" of users is never heard considering issues like net/telecom. You saw how long it took them to implement solicitation using sms/calls -- and still people can circumvent that.

7. Our government loves controllership.

The reason why politicians have a problem with the net, is because of the hate speech circulating about them

in what way Censoring Pirate content will benefit them ? if you are saying that a bill can easily passed by showering the ministers with money why hasn't been done already? and we know ISP's are monitoring the traffic so why havent they started blocking p2p technologies proactively?

and can you gimme an example of an bill which has been passed here just because the US has passed it?

johnie1 said:
^^ all govts love censorship.Its not just our govt.Control over minds so that they can continue this sham democracy.Its just that ordinary people like us lose out so it is very essential that we get empowered with the technologies which can subvert the system.Companies will always toe the govt line just look at wikileaks versus mastercard/visa/paypal.

Its not just govt's either, any entity or concept that has to do with control loves censorship. Its just that each has its own limits to how and what they can censor. Ex: Religion - Why was Galileo locked up for his scientific findings. Because that disagreed with the church's own message of the day and could undermine their control. Why do companies like Apple censor their support sites from issues report by customers - because allowing that information can be harmful to their business. Why do we have moderation and censoring on our own forums (from piracy, p0rn, swearing) - It is again a way of control for self protection.

Absolute freedom (of speech) is never a good thing and most often harmful. For example look at what wikileaks (Assange) has been doing. While I don't have a good opinion of him or his intentions, but at the end of the way his intentions are immaterial before the fact that nothing good can ever come out such expression of freedom of speech. Every country has its own dirty little secrets that need to be locked away for good no matter how dirty they are, pulling them out into the open can only trigger a third world war.

So censorship is used by entity who wants control and the outlook on censorship may change from person to person. Even censorship is based on ones perspective. The govt may think censoring internet is a good thing and you may think its bad and violation of your rights , but then you may be censoring your kid from watching some TV shows which he/she may think is bad.

ubergeek said:
The reason why politicians have a problem with the net, is because of the hate speech circulating about them

in what way Censoring Pirate content will benefit them ? if you are saying that a bill can easily passed by showering the ministers with money why hasn't been done already? and we know ISP's are monitoring the traffic so why havent they started blocking p2p technologies proactively?

and can you gimme an example of an bill which has been passed here just because the US has passed it?

Yes, that is one reason what you mentioned above. But that is not the only reason. Google received around 200 odd requests this year to remove content. You really thing this is their bone of contention with the net...? I was drawing a corollary between how easily Reliance got its John Doe orders vs. passing a bill. Also I need not mention the corruption rampant in India regarding telecome, which is quite close to the bills for the net. ISPs not controlling P2P. Please, have a look at what Airtel is doing. There are threads here, where it was proven that after 10 : 30 AM Airtel would throttle torrent clients for speed. Need I say more.

I do not need to give a bill example from the US. I explained what I meant in my post all ready. And how I feel, it can be used here as an example.

Lord Nemesis said:
Every country has its own dirty little secrets that need to be locked away for good no matter how dirty they are, pulling them out into the open can only trigger a third world war.

You wont be saying this if your mother and father get killed under mysterious circumstances.

Lord Nemesis said:
The govt may think censoring internet is a good thing and you may think its bad and violation of your rights , but then you may be censoring your kid from watching some TV shows which he/she may think is bad.

Why are you comparing apples to oranges. So you are saying that parent should let his small kid watch some vidoe with a guy's head blow out with blood and brains oozing out?

Lord Nemesis said:
Its not just govt's either, any entity or concept that has to do with control loves censorship. Its just that each has its own limits to how and what they can censor. Ex: Religion - Why was Galileo locked up for his scientific findings. Because that disagreed with the church's own message of the day and could undermine their control. Why do companies like Apple censor their support sites from issues report by customers - because allowing that information can be harmful to their business. Why do we have moderation and censoring on our own forums (from piracy, p0rn, swearing) - It is again a way of control for self protection.

Absolute freedom (of speech) is never a good thing and most often harmful. For example look at what wikileaks (Assange) has been doing. While I don't have a good opinion of him or his intentions, but at the end of the way his intentions are immaterial before the fact that nothing good can ever come out such expression of freedom of speech. Every country has its own dirty little secrets that need to be locked away for good no matter how dirty they are, pulling them out into the open can only trigger a third world war.

So censorship is used by entity who wants control and the outlook on censorship may change from person to person. Even censorship is based on ones perspective. The govt may think censoring internet is a good thing and you may think its bad and violation of your rights , but then you may be censoring your kid from watching some TV shows which he/she may think is bad.

I agree with your view that any entity which aspires to control will always love censorship however I do differ on certain things.

Yes absoloute freedom is never a good thing but who defines absoloute?.If you mean to say that i can say anything i want ie if i hurt another persons feelings by saying whatever i want well that is wrong.There are no absoloutes in this world.We tend to self censor ourselves so as to follow certain rules which we think is right.Correct me if i am wrong.This concept of absoloute freedom is a myth.We never had it and will never have it because we live in a society which is made up of rules which makes us conformist thereby throwing out absoloutes.

Lets take wikileaks.Why do you think what assange did was wrong?.Was collateral damage wrong?.Were not the lies exposed?.Do you believe that every human being has got human rights?.For eg has every normal human being a right to live?.If you agree then showing american gunships gunning down people as if they were characters in a game and then denying them and wikileaks exposing them shows us how the much vaunted human rights that america totes is all bs.That video showed us the true face of america.Likewise all the lies that us tells the world were exposed in cablegate.You might disagree that stolen communication should not be aired but it allows thinking people to see the face behind the veil.Cablegate has secrets which affects us all.One of the factors behind the arab spring was cable gate.If freedom is a byproduct then was cablegate not good?.

Ok lets say that the govt thinks censoring internet is a good thing.Do you agree with this view?.Why do you agree to the govt censoring the internet Reasons please.

Regarding the kid I will censor what the kid can watch/say until he attains majority.After that it is his wish.Why do i censor the kid because i am responsible for the kid,I am responsible so that he becomes a useful member of the society.After he is eighteen he becomes an adult and he is responsible for himself.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/technology/2012/01/author-sopa-is-also-copyright-violator-sort-of/47338/

Uh oh. Maybe the U.S. representative who authored the Stop Online Piracy Act should know better than to break the rules his law (if passed) would penalize him for. The intrepid Jamie Lee Curtis Taete ofVice magazine decided to do some sleuthing into Rep. Lamar Smith's website to see if everything was on the up and up with the content he's posted online. And he did, to SOPA haters delight, find some suspect photographs: two stock images from a photographic agency and another landscape photograph by one DJ Schulte.

http://rt.com/usa/ne...ersal-sopa-235/

mu down
<

Back