CPU/Mobo SOS -- Need a new Mobo for i5 2500k

priyam1309

Disciple
Guys,

I am planning to buy a desktop and have finalized everything except mobo -

The processor I would go for is either i5 2400 or i5 2500k but still haven't decided the mobo.

The requirements are -

1. For 2400 i would spend around 17K (processor + mobo) and for 2500k - 19k. either case I need a mobo for around 9K.

2. Crossfire needed as I would go for another GPU within months.

3. Never overclocked before but want to get my hands dirty :D so 2500k.

4. Heavy gaming and HD movie watching!

5. Is there anything else (feature wise) that I should look into? and Yes, I am getting WD Caviar Black 1TB

^ cheaper z68 boards like the asus pz68 or the giga ud3 or the msi c45 etc dont offer virtu AFAIK and also only supports 16x+4x Xfire only. To have atleast 8x+8x Xfire and Sli support as well as virtu GPU switching, the op needs to invest in a better board like UD-4, z68Pro, or z68-GD65. These will set him back by 13-14k all inclusive. So if budget is a constraint its better to go with a p67 board. In the 10k range he will get plenty of fully featured p67 options.

Just my 2c

Peace

devvfata1ity said:
^ cheaper z68 boards like the asus pz68 or the giga ud3 or the msi c45 etc dont offer virtu AFAIK and also only supports 16x+4x Xfire only. To have atleast 8x+8x Xfire and Sli support as well as virtu GPU switching, the op needs to invest in a better board like UD-4, z68Pro, or z68-GD65. These will set him back by 13-14k all inclusive. So if budget is a constraint its better to go with a p67 board. In the 10k range he will get plenty of fully featured p67 options.

Guys, whats the difference and limitations in Z68 and P67?

^ +1. sumon has a really good board at a really great price. OP you should go for it, if you dont mind buying a board with a couple of months of less warranty.

priyam1309 said:
Guys, whats the difference and limitations in Z68 and P67?

Okay Sire, here are the differences between the P67 chipset and Z68 chipset --

this here is the Z68 chipset -- http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/mainboards/asus-p8z68v-pro/01-scheme.png

and this here is a P67 chipset -- http://hw-lab.com/uploads/pr/intel/chipset/p67/p67.png

In a P67 motherboard you'll have to sacrifice the IGP of the Intel processor to get a chance to overclock the k series marked processors. But the Z68 is a composite of the Intel H67 chipset + P67 chipset -- you get the overclocking capabilities plus you can access the Intel HD graphics as well [quick-sync literally sinks all competition in video encoding], also there is another feature called Lucid Virtu GPU and for better SSD performance Smart Response Technology is also in place -- AnandTech - Lucid's Virtu Enables Simultaneous Integrated/Discrete GPU on Sandy Bridge Platforms / AnandTech - The Sandy Bridge Review: Intel Core i7-2600K, i5-2500K and Core i3-2100 Tested.

For detailed read-ups on both of these motherboards -- The Intel Z68 Express Review: A Real Enthusiast Chipset : Z68 Express Chipset: What P67 Should Have Been / Intel Z68 Review - The Sandy Bridge Platform Expands - Page 5 / Intel DP67BG P67-Express Motherboard | Intel DP67BG,Motherboard,Review,P67-Express,LGA-1155,Sandy Bridge,Benchmarks,Performance,David Ramsey,Intel DP67BG P67-Express LGA-1155 Sandy Bridge Motherboard Benchmark Performance Review by David Ramsey.

Hope this helps Sire, Cheers!!

devvfata1ity said:
^ cheaper z68 boards like the asus pz68 ... dont offer virtu AFAIK ...

Just my 2c

There is no model called P8Z68. AFAIK, all ASUS Z68 motherboards had LucidLogix Virtu since the time of launch. :S

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Motherboards

If going for Multi GPU setup, especially if overclocking too, it's obvious to skip the budget variants and opt for PRO, Deluxe. But it has been observed that most use a single (high-end) GPU and not the vast majority OC and that's why maybe manufacturers come out with budget variants so that users can avail the benefits that a certain chipset might have to offer. :)

@OP check this motherboard
MSI Z68A-GD55@9.5k
MSI Z68A-GD65@10.5k
MSI Z68A-GD80@13.5k
ASUS P8Z68 V@12.8k
ASUS P8Z68 V Pro@13.8k

i don't think the OP needs quick sync and the good z68 boards also don't fall in the range of his budget.so he should obviously take a P67 board.i suggest the ASUS P8P67 or the P8P67 deluxe if he can afford.simple.

If you can drop the idea of crossfiring two GPU then i would advice you to go with Asus P8Z68 M Pro which has every feature except support for crossfire or sli... It costs 8.9k... or if you can extend your budget then go with i5 2500k + MSI Z68A-GD65 ~ 21k

Back