Audio Sound Quality of iPod Nano/Touch/Mini/Classic

I have RE2+E5 and i want to buy a portable iPod. The smaller the better.
My question is whether different iPod models will have different sound quality on my RE2+E5? If yes, which has best quality? My source is 320kbps music.

In terms of best sound quality among ipods, ipod classic 7G is better than others.

However if you really are looking for sound quality, I would suggest to consider Sansa Clip/Fuze, Cowon D2/S9 instead.

1) Does SANSA & COWON retail in Delhi? I want to buy it soon and ordering online wont make much sense i guess.

2) I also want some show value. Hence was tilting towards iPod. Is the quality difference b/w Cowon & iPod really huge?

3) Can someone rank D2/S9/Clip+/Fuze in terms of SQ/BatteryLife & other factors?

4) I also want portability. So which has better SQ between iPod nano/shuffle/mini?

If you feel you can notice the subtle differences in detailing and sound quality , go for a Sansa Fuze or a Cowon D2 .Both are one of the best sounding PMPs out there.

Otherwise the iTouch is very good option as well if you need the add-on features such as apps,games,wi-fi etc.Its SQ is pretty good.

If storage is what you need the classic iPod is the one to go for.

You need to be a bit more specific on your needs- more storage ,video , wi-fi,apps,sound quality, UI etc ? Tell us what you need exactly and it should be easy ;).

1) Does SANSA & COWON retail in Delhi? I want to buy it soon and ordering online wont make much sense i guess.

Find A Dealer

Edit: Its highly likely that even authorised dealers won't stock the Cowon players. Ordering online will probably be faster.

2) I also want some show value. Hence was tilting towards iPod. Is the quality difference b/w Cowon & iPod really huge?

Isn't it going to be in your pocket or in a bag most of the time? :p

The equalizer does make the cowon sound better, but its also exaggerated at times by quite a few people. If you like an apple product buy it, they're not bad at all.

3) Can someone rank D2/S9/Clip+/Fuze in terms of SQ/BatteryLife & other factors?

Haven't used the Sansa players but the Cowon's have great battery life, using a memoey card will drain the battery a bit faster.

4) I also want portability. So which has better SQ between iPod nano/shuffle/mini?

Haven't heard the mini or the new shuffle. The Nano is quite nice, heard a friend's nano but I hated his music so I wasn't paying much attention :S

Edit: I think there's a S9 in the market section if you're interested.

FaH33m said:
You need to be a bit more specific on your needs- more storage ,video , wi-fi,apps,sound quality, UI etc ? Tell us what you need exactly and it should be easy ;).

Video - Dont want it

Storage - ~8gb is enough

UI - Bad UI not a problem for me. So UI not an issue.

SQ - pretty important. Currently i use RE2+E5 with my laptop onboard Realtek HD sound. So would like to have almost same SQ. Dont need better SQ than that.

Wifi - how will it help? Just checking email? Not really needed but would be a plus if i get it.

Battery Life - atleast 15hrs with full charge. (Does using E5 increase battery life? I think it should)

^ Wi-fi in the iTouch lets you surf the web(safari browser), check mail and download apps from istore etc. If you say you are not looking for SQ better than your onboard ,almost any player will do even the ipod is a gread sounding PMP and will sound better than onboard ,especially the itouch is a greal all rounder.

Sansa Fuze on the other hand satisfies all your other needs perfectly.Excellent SQ,lot lot better than the Realtek onboard.

Fuze has 8GB internal memory + expandable memory slot .A very good and easy to use UI but not as seamless and perfect as the ipod classic .(subjective). It gives about ~20 hrs of battery life and most importantly its almost 3-4k cheaper than an itouch ;).

So chose between the itouch 8GB & Sansa Fuze .Both are amazing VFM ,in my opinion.You could also look at a iPod nano 8GB , the new one's come with a built-in camera as well.

@FaH33m: wow! thanks. Now i am looking towards Fuze. 1 more thing: whats the difference between Fuze & Clip+? Since i dont need Video, why shlould i got for Fuze instead of Clip+?

^ Fuze has a better UI + colour screen and most importantly Fuze has a battery life of ~18-20 hrs whereas the Clip+ will give you max 8-10 hrs.

In terms of size, the Clip is the size of a small matchbox whereas the Fuze is twice as big but very slim. Clip+ is good to clip on to your shirt pocket,belt etc whereas Fuze can be kept in the pocket with the small soft pouch it comes with :).

Overall the Fuze looks like a more sturdy and complete PMP player whereas the Clip+ is best suited for jogging , gym sessions or playing pre selected play list .

^^^^

Faheem, not to contradict what u mentioned above, but honestly mate i think the cowons r better then the Sansas when it comes to sheer user experience imho. Let me explain why i feel like that.

@ original op and Ritvik, ill try and answer ur questions since i own a Cowon s9, Sansa clip+ (rockboxed now) which i recently purchased from ebay and had an ipod classic 80 gb.

First of all, ill safely keep aside the ipod for honestly its simply no match to the cowons and the sansas in terms of SQ..

Now if vfm is the way to go and all you want to do is get the best option for SQ @ the lowest price, Sansa clip + is the way to go, eyes closed..

If you want to crank up the budget, this is where it changes a bit..

In terms of a sansa fuze vis a vis a S9/D2 the biggest difference to me is the built in equalizer..(yes i know i can get murdered here for raising this point :)).. The cowons have something called a bbe sound mode which to me is simply awesome. Yes you can make changes to the equalizer in the sansas and make it sound like the 20 odd bbe settings that the cowons give you, but dude honestly, how many of us are ever gonna do that.

@ normal, there aint much difference between the sansas and the cowons, but once u start playing with the equalizer, the difference really kicks in.

S9 battery life claimed is @ 55 hrs audio playback, mine gives me ard 40 hrs :)

Comparing the 2, and purely by personal experience here, i rate the Cowons much higher as a pmp.

Another Mp3 called Cube C30 is same as cowon if we talk about only sound quality because C30 also using same technology BBE, as per my experience sound is awsome. C30 4GB is available arround Rs 3k in india this is the best one if you realy need the best sound ...

edge111hussain said:
^^^^
Faheem, not to contradict what u mentioned above, but honestly mate i think the cowons r better then the Sansas when it comes to sheer user experience imho. Let me explain why i feel like that.
@ original op and Ritvik, ill try and answer ur questions since i own a Cowon s9, Sansa clip+ (rockboxed now) which i recently purchased from ebay and had an ipod classic 80 gb.

First of all, ill safely keep aside the ipod for honestly its simply no match to the cowons and the sansas in terms of SQ..
Now if vfm is the way to go and all you want to do is get the best option for SQ @ the lowest price, Sansa clip + is the way to go, eyes closed..
If you want to crank up the budget, this is where it changes a bit..
In terms of a sansa fuze vis a vis a S9/D2 the biggest difference to me is the built in equalizer..(yes i know i can get murdered here for raising this point :)).. The cowons have something called a bbe sound mode which to me is simply awesome. Yes you can make changes to the equalizer in the sansas and make it sound like the 20 odd bbe settings that the cowons give you, but dude honestly, how many of us are ever gonna do that.
@ normal, there aint much difference between the sansas and the cowons, but once u start playing with the equalizer, the difference really kicks in.
S9 battery life claimed is @ 55 hrs audio playback, mine gives me ard 40 hrs :)

Comparing the 2, and purely by personal experience here, i rate the Cowons much higher as a pmp.

I did mention the Cowon's equalizer settings. The thing is not everyone likes BBE. I like a flat EQ setting when I use my MS1 and for other people who might like their music the same way it does make more sense to use the clip+

The OP isn't in the market for a PMP since all he's going to use it for is music.

^^^^^

Yes buddy that is a possibility and i just read ur sig.. You got the right gear if u know what im saying. If i had your gear, even i would pretty much go flat.. But you got to admit, that the cowons overall in SQ terms have an upper hand.. :)

Ok i missed this thread. @edgehussain contractdict ur statement.I won the Sans Fuze,clip+ and cowon d2+.I use RE 2 and RE 1 as my primary IEM's.I listen all of them at flat EQ.I prefer the sound quality of the Fuze compared to the rest.

The Cowon D2+ cannot power up my RE 1 but the clip+ and the fuze can .The sound stage is way far better in the Fuze when compared to the D2+.

The Fuze sounds bright and no murky bass as in D2+.

I am least bothered about the backup it provides .

One word Fuze is better than the D2+.

^ D2+ firmware Suck$ Donkey Ballz...in terms of SQ when compared to the D2 ....

Id say cowon went down with the D2+ ...really not worth it...

Metalspree said:
Ok i missed this thread. @edgehussain contractdict ur statement.I won the Sans Fuze,clip+ and cowon d2+.I use RE 2 and RE 1 as my primary IEM's.I listen all of them at flat EQ.I prefer the sound quality of the Fuze compared to the rest.

The Cowon D2+ cannot power up my RE 1 but the clip+ and the fuze can .The sound stage is way far better in the Fuze when compared to the D2+.

The Fuze sounds bright and no murky bass as in D2+.

I am least bothered about the backup it provides .

One word Fuze is better than the D2+.

You know, i have read your earlier posts too.. i own a s9 and a clip+ and between the two the s9 overall is way superior.. forget the budget here for a sec.
2nd, ive read in other reviews that the clip+ and fuze SQ is very close, with fuze being slightly brighter.
The s9 and the d2 sound very alike, i couldn't find any difference there, Never heard the d2+ though so if anyone says that the D2+ is crap, i wont argue cause ive never heard them..
In terms of driving my senn 555 or 485's, on the clip in on about 80% volume whilst on the s9, im at 27/40 which is less then 70%. With my s4's im on 24/40.
Now look, i own both and at normal sound eq im totally happy with both.. All im saying is that when i move into bbe, i.e bbe viva and bbe machbass, the s9 completely rule my clip+.(firmware 2.52 updated).

Anyways, no arguments bro, sound is very subjective and one can only hear and judge,,, there is surely no other way of knowing what suits an individual.. For all its worth, the OP might end up liking the ipod over the cowon or sansa :tongue:

@edgehussain i completely agree with the bbe part but as i already said in flat eq sansa clip+ and the fuze rocks .The clip+ easily drives the AD700,D2000 and the W5000 where as the D2+ cannot.This i have tried at Jaben store.

Metalspree said:
@edgehussain i completely agree with the bbe part but as i already said in flat eq sansa clip+ and the fuze rocks .The clip+ easily drives the AD700,D2000 and the W5000 where as the D2+ cannot.This i have tried at Jaben store.

The Denons r easily driven without amping @ any pmp. Infact faheem had pmed me some days back and i did mention to him that istores in mumbai have the denons on audition and are run on ipods. Im a bit surprised here, i surely dont doubt you but ad700 and d-2000 are very easily driven bro and for a d2+ to not be able to drive them is a bit weird.. Anyways, maybe, but ill surely give you my impressions the day i get my hands on a d2+ ... peace... :hap2:

Back