All OS Spam calls attack

prime

Skilled
So, I got these non stop calls from random numbers on my primary number, true caller identifies them as spam. It started at 12:32PM.

I picked up the first call and the lady asked "Mr. XYZ ?" and I said "wrong number" and disconnected. While disconnecting, I heard her asking "Aapka naam kya hai? (What's your name?)". As soon as I disconnected, I was bombarded with these calls. I kept them rejecting and blocking in true caller.

After a few minutes I called my number from my other number so that caller get busy tone but they kept on calling even on call waiting.

What could be the purpose?

1. I read somewhere these callers irritate the person so much that the victim switches off the mobile and they call his family member and tell them story that the person has met with an accident and something like that.
2. When the phone is switched, they manage to get duplicate sim card from telecom operator with the help of some rogue employees.

What's your opinion guys?

Attachments

• Screenshot (435).png
    Screenshot (435).png
    128.1 KB · Views: 114
I was forced to change my 15+-year-old number due to such issues as well, I was so annoyed by the end that, what I did was in Truecaller there is an option to block all calls that are not a contact. I don't think there is any solution to this harassment of calls and SMSs we get, I still have the old number and I get around 30+ spam calls and 20 - 40 spam SMS's per day.

Am I the only one who thinks since the inception of Truecaller and the popularity it gained subsequently, the spam calls have increased manifold? What I do not understand is why the fondness with this Truecaller thing? Why on earth would you register your personal number there?

Am I the only one who thinks since the inception of Truecaller and the popularity it gained subsequently, the spam calls have increased manifold? What I do not understand is why the fondness with this Truecaller thing? Why on earth would you register your personal number there?
You think by you not "registering" your number with truecaller they don't know who you are or cannot show your details to other truecaller users? If you think so then you couldn't be more wrong.

Anyone using whatsapp, facebook, other IM apps and other services where you have to signup and use your mobile number to use the service. Your data is already gone. Using or not using truecaller won't make a difference.
If you call anyone who has truecaller they'll know who's calling. Truecaller should already have your data without you ever using it.

The only reason to use that app is auto-blocking of spam calls and obviously seeing who's on the other end (name/business/intention of call) of unknown number you're getting called from.

After a few minutes I called my number from my other number so that caller get busy tone but they kept on calling even on call waiting.
Next time, Go to > Truecaller > settings > Block > block number not in the phonebook

I have this setting enabled on permanent basis. I disable it temporarily when I'm expecting calls from unknown numbers (like amazon/zomato delivery).
It doesn't matter you are registered with truecaller or not. Truecaller already has full data on you. It can already guess most of your contact list.

I hate the app even though I'm paying for it. I use it because it's a necessity today.
I have no idea. But if I were you, I'd delink my aadhar card from that number.

Last edited:
So, I got these non stop calls from random numbers on my primary number, true caller identifies them as spam. It started at 12:32PM.

I picked up the first call and the lady asked "Mr. XYZ ?" and I said "wrong number" and disconnected. While disconnecting, I heard her asking "Aapka naam kya hai? (What's your name?)". As soon as I disconnected, I was bombarded with these calls. I kept them rejecting and blocking in true caller.

1. I read somewhere these callers irritate the person so much that the victim switches off the mobile and they call his family member and tell them story that the person has met with an accident and something like that.
2. When the phone is switched, they manage to get duplicate sim card from telecom operator with the help of some rogue employees.

What's your opinion guys?

if true caller identified it as spam, why did you pick it up then. I block spam ones immediately after the call.
Its only the unknown ones that truecaller cant pick up as it must be a new number which doesnt have enough people marking them as spam.

the 2 scenarios you have posted are far-fetched but possible. Though most likely, it was an aggressive seller

I was away from phone and by the time I reached, the true caller pop-up had disappeared. I guess it disappears after 10-15 seconds.
Whoa, that's new. Never happened to me. It stays for as long as I want it to stay. In-fact I have to dismiss it manually after the call ends.

Try this Truecaller > settings > Block > block number not in the phonebook.
Also, after few days TC sucks, it will ring even for spam calls no matter whatever setting you choose (silent/hangoff) no matter you paid for TC! It sucks!

What I do is analyze the no. patterns usually like 808xxx and then directly add that series to block all calls! But you need to give it few days else you might block some important calls.
Eod its a very steal and grab world and smartphones are the curse for stealing our data.

The shit starts when someone installs TC for the first time and agrees to share his contacts when prompted! Not to say I'm smart, but 3 yrs and haven't ever ticked that option so at least my phone contacts are safe from getting spammed coz of me. Its because of this one setting everyone suffers.
And yes vip nos. are easy to spam/scam. I'm also a victim even after full dnd so no escape. I had a brief discussion with telecom cc and they said dnd only works for where you haven't provided your no. If you deliberately/accidentally shared your no. or someone on our behalf the system wont block such calls no matter genuine or spam!

So we cant even blame telecom operators completely.

@enthusiast29 @lockhrt999 Thanks for letting me know that. I didn't know. I thought TC only was able to show callers info whom all have registered on their platform. Anyhow, as someone who has never installed the bloody app let alone submitting my details in it, I noticed that it was still showing my name when I checked on their website (further confirming what you all said is true). So I installed the app, changed my name to Roger Federer and bingo all my friends/relatives then saw RF calling. So they are really smart I guess. They will show whatever you feed them.

And those who use their spam blocking feature, do you guys know the very google dialler has a spam filter too? No offence but I still don't see why anyone would use it, and some are even paying for it! Damn.

So I installed the app, changed my name to Roger Federer and bingo all my friends/relatives then saw RF calling. So they are really smart I guess. They will show whatever you feed them.

And those who use their spam blocking feature, do you guys know the very google dialler has a spam filter too? No offence but I still don't see why anyone would use it, and some are even paying for it! Damn.
Of course when you feed them the info by verifying the number you own then it's going to trust that.

About google dialer. I have that as I'm on stock based custom ROM (Pixel Experience), it's nowhere near as efficient as truecaller. In a world where there's no privacy, the one who has most data wins. So gotta use the most efficient solution even though we don't like it.

@enthusiast29 @lockhrt999 Thanks for letting me know that. I didn't know. I thought TC only was able to show callers info whom all have registered on their platform. Anyhow, as someone who has never installed the bloody app let alone submitting my details in it, I noticed that it was still showing my name when I checked on their website (further confirming what you all said is true). So I installed the app, changed my name to Roger Federer and bingo all my friends/relatives then saw RF calling. So they are really smart I guess. They will show whatever you feed them.

If you want to know the real name of a phone number, just type (or copy+paste) number in paytm and you will most probably get aadhaar/bank verified name. 80-90% of the people (educated people, and we mostly get calls from them) are on paytm.

No offence but I still don't see why anyone would use it, and some are even paying for it
Not everyone works behind a screen hiding somewhere in a tall tower. Some people work in public facing business. They have to give away the phone numbers. It's not the app that they are purchasing, it's the mental health.

@prime What? If I type in someone's number on paytm app it will show me their actual names as per govt registration? Wtf man! Anyhow, cannot confirm, don't use Paytm either, but I'll take your word for it.
Hmm learned a thing or two about how privacy works is currently working in this country, nice. Good luck to you people and I hope that the spam calls stop so that you can have your peace.

Back