All OS Spam calls attack

If I type in someone's number on paytm app it will show me their actual names as per govt registration?
no, if they are registered on UPI network, then the name they used on UPI network shows up. Otherwise, it does not. Source: just tried it out myself.

edit: enthusiast29 put it in the right words, I was trying to convey that.

Last edited:
then the name they used on UPI network shows up.
You can't just use any name for the UPI. The bank shares that info from your side if the SIM you're using is registered with the bank. That's done by the app by sending an SMS for UPI registration to the bank from your current SIM in the phone which also has to be the number registered with the bank account. So technically Names derived from UPI ID are legal names. Although if someone just has PayTM wallet and not registered on UPI on PayTM using that number then perhaps it could just show the name used on PayTM account.

Spam filters are shaped by the community that's using it. I don't expect google dialer spam filter to be even 10% as good as True caller in India. Very few people are using google dialer but almost everyone using True caller.
Very true and TC haters and vanilla lovers claim googles dialler noobish spam filter works. Its only useful in the west and in India which is one of the topmost spam innovator of the world, only strongest app will survive..

Very true and TC haters and vanilla lovers claim googles dialler noobish spam filter works. Its only useful in the west and in India which is one of the topmost spam innovator of the world, only strongest app will survive..
I actually pay for TC, I think its a decent way to support the devs, and I think the app has saved me a lot of time. worth the ~350 or so for a year.

Truecaller should already have your data without you ever using it.
They do, they scrape the data from the contacts of anyone who has your number saved and is using TC. However, you can go to their site, enter your number, and prevent your name from being shown on the app if you call anyone. That said, taking this route prevents you from using the app with that number.

May be yes, it's a premium number 98xyz90000.
That number might be worth more today than when you got it.

They won't dare go after the bigger fish with the penta, hexa etc numbers
And those who use their spam blocking feature, do you guys know the very google dialler has a spam filter too? No offence but I still don't see why anyone would use it, and some are even paying for it! Damn.
I've been trialling the google dialer as an alternative to TC for over a month. I was told to use google dialers five years ago for the same reason. It was assumed then that this dialer would become ubiquitous and make TC redundant.

Did that happen? no

My experience so far is google's dialer for all the data that Google has from us does not identify many callers at all whereas TC does it close to 100% of the time.

After every call google dialer asks me if the call was spam and i have to say no because I also have TC installed that cuts out most spam calls.

Last edited:
Back