Audio Speaker Set-Up for new HDTV.. Budget - 10k , 15k max if needed..

HoliC

Adept
Speaker Set-Up for new HDTV.. Budget - 5k-7k Preferred.. 10k MAX

EDIT - Have bought the Sony KDL-46EX520 tv.. so please suggest according to that..

Hi..

Wanted to setup speakers for the hdtv as tv volume is bot enough..

Will be buying speakers for either Sony KDL 46EX520 or Samsung UA46D5500RR or Any 46 inch HDTV.

So here are my doubts and requirements..

BUDGET REDUCED - Want to spend preferably 5-7k and max 10k if worth it..

1 - Do I absolutely need an AV receiver ?? Can I fit in any cheap one in 10k budget ??

2 - Looking for 2.0 or 2.1 or soundbar as 5.1 will look too small alongside the TV.

3 - Would slightly prefer looks over sound.. as the speakers are just because the TV volume is low..

4 - So would prefer any good quality Soundbars or Floor speakers i can get in that budget.. As they seem to look best along with the TV..

5 - No Brand Preference, Will be used only for TV and not PC..

Thanks..

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Speakers I Liked -

Edifier C3 - Digital Input ???

Creative gigaworks T3 - would look too small when placed besides the TV

Edifier C200 - No Idea about the price..

Logic3 soundbar - 11.9k on Ebay - too expensive..

Altec Lansing Mx6021 - might be too small..

Plzz advice..

It would be worthwhile to invest in something that offers digital inputs. No 2.1 speaker in that range offers digital inputs. The ones I know of are, an Edifier set (unsure of the exact model) and the Antec Rockus 3D. I am not sure of the availability nor the pricing. Moreover, 2.1 speakers do not gain much from the digital inputs since Dolby D and DTS is out of question here.

You seem to prefer looks as well! Could you not invest a bit more and get a 5.1 system that offers digital input(s)? An HTIB with an AVR may overshoot your budget. The cheapest could possibly be something in the range of 17k and thereabouts. Croma/Big Bazaar retail these systems. I do not know of the make. Do you need an AVR in the first place? What devices do you intend to hook up the display and sound system anyway?

Your display has an optical out and in all probability supports DTS/Dolby D passthrough so you can connect an optical cable from the TV to your HTIB system and it switches the sound modes depending on the file played. This is exactly how I have my present system setup - the X360 and the PS3 is connected to the TV via HDMI cable and the optical cable from the TV is connected to the HTIB system's receiver. When a game initiates, the receiver switches to Dolby D automatically. If I play a media file via the USB port, the mode switches suitably or sometimes I need to do so from the TV manually.

I'd advise you to increase your budget and possibly get hold of this Philips system - Philips - Immersive Sound Home theater 3D Angled Speakers - HTS5520/94 - Immersive Sound 5.1 - Home cinema sound - Sound and vision

It offers a optical digital input. I think it scores fairly well in the looks department as well. The street retail prices are definitely lower than the MRP listed on the link.

Besides, dedicated 5.1 systems perform miles ahead of cheap soundbars. You may audition one yourself and decide the rest.

The Philips Speakers come with DVD player too which I dont need..

Actually the reason for not going with 5.1 is space issue.. Just wanted two speakers on either side of the TV.. and the woofer is adjustable..

Plus 5.1 would probably exceed the need and are not for heavy use..

As i was going to spend 5k+ on speakers thought I would get the best one which also suits my needs..

Thats why i was looking for Soundbar or floor speakers but as you said soundbars are not worth it and floor speakers seem expensive to me..

So I found this model of edifier after looking around.. S530D which has an digital input..

2.1 Multimedia Speaker System - S530 / S530D | Edifier

What do you make of it ?? Seems the best option right now.. its priced 9.5k at infibeam and is out of stock.. but all speakers at infibeam seem overpriced by atleast 1k.. so should cost around 8-8.5k mark hopefully..

Please let me know what you think of these.. and also please suggest where I can buy them or any shop name/number to enquire in Mumbai..

Thanks a lot..

PS - Higher Rms output watts means a louder(better ??) speaker right ??

^I cannot comment on the sound quality since I haven't heard those but you can definitely make do with speakers without a digital input as well.

Louder - technically yes but better? I am not sure of that. You can get a pair of Intex speakers with similar RMS rating for a quarter of the price - would you expect it to perform in the lines of these? :p

Thank you for your replies guys..

Actually my budget is 10k max now.. so was looking was for somethingg cheaper but good plus Speaker stands if possible so that it looks better..

BTW I found these stands on Ebay.. can anyne comment on its quality..

Home Theatre Speaker Stands for 2.1,5.1& 7.1 Systems | eBay

Speakers im still inclined to Edifier s530d but cant seem to find then anywhere online..

What other speakers can i go for ?? can i get a speaker+amp combo within 10 k ??

Thanks..

HoliC said:
Thank you for your replies guys..

Actually my budget is 10k max now.. so was looking was for somethingg cheaper but good plus Speaker stands if possible so that it looks better..

BTW I found these stands on Ebay.. can anyne comment on its quality..
Home Theatre Speaker Stands for 2.1,5.1& 7.1 Systems | eBay
Speakers im still inclined to Edifier s530d but cant seem to find then anywhere online..

What other speakers can i go for ?? can i get a speaker+amp combo within 10 k ??

Thanks..

Stretch the budget by 2.5k and get the Corsair SP2500 [INR 12.5k]

This 2.1 will be an excellent choice for movies & games. Have got real power and will provide chest thumping bass in explosions along with good mids & highs. This set is very well tuned for movie effects. With your tight budget it seems the best option to me.

The sound will be room filling and not anemic. This 2.1 is also very good for games. Later you can add playstation & this 2.1 will provide good sound effects. This 2.1 will beat the hell out of cheap 5.1. Better get a good 2.1 than a cheap 5.1.

Wish you all the best.

Gannu said:
^I cannot comment on the sound quality since I haven't heard those but you can definitely make do with speakers without a digital input as well.

Louder - technically yes but better? I am not sure of that. You can get a pair of Intex speakers with similar RMS rating for a quarter of the price - would you expect it to perform in the lines of these? :p
i have seen in specifications for intex they mention the RMS values in peak RMS. Which defeats the purpose . :S

HoliC said:
The Philips Speakers come with DVD player too which I dont need..
Actually the reason for not going with 5.1 is space issue.. Just wanted two speakers on either side of the TV.. and the woofer is adjustable..
Plus 5.1 would probably exceed the need and are not for heavy use..
As i was going to spend 5k+ on speakers thought I would get the best one which also suits my needs..

Thats why i was looking for Soundbar or floor speakers but as you said soundbars are not worth it and floor speakers seem expensive to me..

So I found this model of edifier after looking around.. S530D which has an digital input..

2.1 Multimedia Speaker System - S530 / S530D | Edifier

What do you make of it ?? Seems the best option right now.. its priced 9.5k at infibeam and is out of stock.. but all speakers at infibeam seem overpriced by atleast 1k.. so should cost around 8-8.5k mark hopefully..

Please let me know what you think of these.. and also please suggest where I can buy them or any shop name/number to enquire in Mumbai..

Thanks a lot..

I have a Edifier M3300SF that i tried connecting to my HDTV. But i was not satified with the output that it gave us.
While i connect it to my PC. The output is equivalent to a Altec Lansing ATP3. When connected to the TV. Its not good.
Why ? Is it just because it does not have a digital Input Capability ?

So has anyone here on TE had a demo of S530D ??? or any reviews of it ?? positive or negative ??

Still havent bought any speakers... budget still 10k MAX..

How much of a difference does the digital out make ??

Anyone ???

Back