Star Citizen - Discussion Thread

m-jeri
Please post in this thread when you do get a copy

nanoneo

Some release info you might find useful (as taken from the official site) -

• Star Citizens will get to play in the multi-player dogfighting Alpha (12 months)
  • Star Citizens will receive access to the Squadron 42 campaign (18 months)
  • Star Citizens will receive access to the Star Citizen universe for online persistent play (30 months)

One that Spin didnt go for the "Big fish - $10,000 crowdfunding option" - I had high hopes for this. :(

And two, that the only other Indian I know who got into the crowdfunding for SC was - Spin. :(

Even so, thank you for having some faith Spin - even more so considering (AFAIK), you're not a hardcore space sim fan.

sorry for the late reply, but yea, you remember correct... i'm not big on space sims. that being said, freelancer was one of the all time great games that i've played and we grew up playing wing commander so there really was no way i wouldn't go for this. but even if one does not have a history with games like this, the pitch was really high quality stuff and it could easily convince anyone.

as for the 10k pledge :p, i wish i was rich enough to drop that kind of money on a single game! this happened in the middle of busy gaming season which meant that funds were tight anyway. plus i have some other games that i've kickstarted as well. it's an expensive yet addictive hobby to wander around the kickstarter site.

I look at all the awesome ships one can buy on the RSI site and my wallet has a heart attack. Good thing is, you dont need to buy them if you're willing to spend some time in the game and earn them -hopefully- without having to grind for them.

I wanted to post some pics of the ships and ship interiors from the game but for some reason the TE site allows very small images that don't really do the ships justice. :(

Anyone know the max size allowed for a linked image on the TE site? Is there some way to have a smaller image displayed on the site but allow the user to click on it so that they can open a full res image in another window? If so, please let me know....

Just bumping up this thread from the grave to find out if anyone else ever got around to kickstarting this game?

I actually lost my credit card during the kickstarter period and got it cancelled by my bank so my kickstarter payment failed when the time came. Had to go to their website to pledge directly through Paypal when I finally got a card and as a result of the delay, I won't be getting alpha/beta access now. Not a big deal, I can always ask a friend to lend me their account during pre-release access. They've raised a bit under 10 million dollars now with 190,000 backers which is an amazingly high crowdfunding record. Just in case someone hasn't heard of this game, you should really check out this trailer -

They have an offer going on right now where if you buy the game before the 28th of June, you will get lifetime insurance for free. The way this game works is that if you lose your ship while playing the game (if you're attacked by pirates or something), you will lose that ship forever unless you have insurance. You will be able to buy insurance in the game with the ingame currency, but getting lifetime insurance right now means you'll never have to worry about losing the Aurora class ship that you get with your pledge.

Speaking of ships, they have an absolutely crazy pricing model for extra ships you can buy.

• Add-On Ship: 300i +$55
  • Add-On Ship: Hornet +$110
  • Add-On Ship: Freelancer +$110
  • Add-On Ship: Constellation +$225
  • Addon Ship: Anvil Gladiator Bomber [$150]
  • Addon Ship: ORIGIN M50 Interceptor [$85]
  • Addon Ship: MISC Starfarer Tanker [$175]
  • Addon Ship: Drake Interplanetary Caterpillar ($225)
  • Addon Ship: Retaliator Heavy Bomber [$250]
  • Addon Ship: Vanduul Fighter [$300]
  • Addon Ship: Idris-class Corvette [$1000]
1000$ for an ingame ship. And of course, if you buy it now, you get insurance. Otherwise if you buy it when the game comes out with ingame currency (can you imagine how long it would take to grind 100$ worth of ingame currency?) and you lose it, it's gone forever. This is going to be one dangerous game universe.

Oh man that really sucks. I was counting on you to be around for the Alpha & Beta.:(

IMO, LTI is highly overrated for two main reasons:
1) like you said, anyone can buy insurance at a later date for whats expected to be a very small charge
2) the main problem is that LTI only covers the hull. All the add-ons and do-dads that one customizes on ones ship are not covered by LTI. As ships are expected to be highly configurable the cost of all the add-ons is going to be very significant and losing a ship means losing all these regardless of LTI.

Coming to the ships, have you been keeping in touch with RSI news? There are guys who have bought FLEETS of ships costing thousands of $$'s. :p

For example, a guy named Radd bought a grand total of FIFTY NINE ships!!! Have a look...

[...]
Coming to the ships, have you been keeping in touch with RSI news? There are guys who have bought FLEETS of ships costing thousands of $$'s. :p

For example, a guy named Radd bought a grand total of FIFTY NINE ships!!! Have a look...

whoa!!! o_O my budget only allows some TF2 hats and PS2 skins :(

_

Same here.

However, the nice thing about SC is that (most) ships can be earned/captured/bought in game for "free" (meaning without real world currency) provided of course you are willing to devote some time in game.

I plan to be playing SC at least 6-8 hours a day so I couldn't be bothered about buying expensive ships with real world money.

PS - If Spin or you want to "gift" me an Idris I certainly won't say no. :p

Oh man that really sucks. I was counting on you to be around for the Alpha & Beta.:(

IMO, LTI is highly overrated for two main reasons:
1) like you said, anyone can buy insurance at a later date for whats expected to be a very small charge
2) the main problem is that LTI only covers the hull. All the add-ons and do-dads that one customizes on ones ship are not covered by LTI. As ships are expected to be highly configurable the cost of all the add-ons is going to be very significant and losing a ship means losing all these regardless of LTI.

I have a friend who offered to lend me his account during alpha/beta access so I will get to play it during that time. I expect they'll do a full progression reset before the game actually goes live so I doubt I'd miss out on much. That said, I'm actually considering upgrading my pledge to a higher tier to get a different starting ship from the Aurora which basically everyone will have. The Freelancer ship sounds the most appealing to me because that's how I intend to play the game (it's best for long range exploration and trading), but 125$ for a ship is simply too rich for my blood. If I do upgrade, it will be to the 65$ Digital Bounty Hunter package which includes the Origin 300i space ship designed for dogfighting (that would also get me alpha/beta access).

As for LTI, I still think it has some real value in the game. They've said they will allow ingame insurance purchases for durations of 2-12 months but I am not expecting it to be cheap. In fact, I question what these people selling 1000$ virtual ships and 5$ textures consider 'cheap' in the first place. Since they have no subscription model for the MMO after it launches, the only way they make continuous money is by selling these ships and ingame currency packs. I just cannot see them making anything (like insurance or new ships) in the game easily accessible (i.e. without grinding) by just playing the game. And yes, while LTI only covers the hull, you could customize your ships in such a way that you keep your nice ships for safe zones and trading routes and keep your permanently insured ship with a barebones configuration and use it when you need to go into dangerous, low security zones. LTI might not sell the game to someone on the fence, but for folks like you and me who were already going to pledge, it's a nice bonus that can end up being quite useful depending on how they design the game economy. And speaking of folks like us, are we really the only two who ended up backing this? Do you know anyone else who might have? I'm sure there must be at least a few people from India who would have done so.

And yea, 59 ships? That's just crazy. I assumed the 1000$ ships would be for guilds to chip in and buy but I guess there are some collectors out there. That's how you raise 10 million dollars I suppose.

I have a friend who offered to lend me his account during alpha/beta access so I will get to play it during that time.

Thats good to know. :)

And speaking of folks like us, are we really the only two who ended up backing this? Do you know anyone else who might have? I'm sure there must be at least a few people from India who would have done so.

I don't know of any other person who backed it but I'm hopeful that eventually, there would be at least 5-10 players in total from across India.

There were 3-4 people in the first page of this thread that seem interested in the game and would possibly buy it at some point so fingers crossed...

Well its virtually dead in India going by this thread which is sad. :(

I intend to play SC (and SW Battlefront 3 for that matter) for hundreds of hours myself. It is however, unfortunate that people here don't seem to be interested in either game.

In related news, the "Freeespace" IP was picked up by Interplay for a paltry $7500 couple of days ago. I heard that Interplay are on somewhat shaky ground financially so I'm not sure whether this is good news or bad news.

Freespace 1 + Exp & Freespace 2 were absolutely brilliant and I rate them light years ahead of similar games in the genre - even today.

Full story to those interested. Including it in this thread because I doubt many people would be interested and its possibly overkill to create another topic just for the subject...

http://www.shacknews.com/article/79550/freespace-rights-bought-by-interplay-for-7500

Interplay has been selling Freespace 1 and 2 on gog.com for a while now so I don't understand what this $7500 bought them. And seriously, did Volition/Deep Silver really need that paltry a sum that they would sell such a storied IP to Interplay? Because now you can be sure that there will never be another game in the series seeing as how Interplay is basically a shell of a company. Just sad state of affairs all around.

Anyway CIG is planning to have a sale for Star Citizen soon. Some time before the 28th (probably next week)... they will offer some kind of deal on the Origin 300i. Almost certainly going to upgrade to that ship myself. The longer goal is to upgrade to the 125$ tier to get the Freelancer ship but I just cannot seem to make myself pay that much money for an ingame ship. There's time till November 26 to make that decision though. Ricky, what does the Freelancer tier cost for you? And what about the Freelancer addon ship? I believe it's different for you and me because we backed at different times.

The Freelancer Tier price for me is $125 and includes -
- Spaceship shaped USB stick of game and all digital elements
- CD OST
- Colour map of the Universe &
- Hardback bound 42-page Engineering Manual for Modders.

(Note that there is a $10 shipping charge for the above package as we are international customers)

In contrast, the Freelancer "add-on" ship price for me is $110.

So essentially, there's a difference of $25 between the two options though that will get you the above mentioned goodies as well.

I was so sure you were going to opt for the "Wing Commander" tier the moment the $10 million figure was hit. Disappointing to hear that you're not. :(

When I asked for the Freelancer tier, I actually meant Digital Freelancer. I have little interest in physical items and game boxes now. Could you tell me the price of that?

The Freelancer addon ship costs 110$ for me too, whereas the Digital Freelancer tier is 125$ which would mean paying an extra 95$ over my current pledge (and saving 15$). Doesn't help that the Rupee is crashing as well now. The 300i Interceptor sale is starting on Friday so let's see how that goes.

I don't even see a Wing Commander tier but I assume it's 10,000$+. I don't have that kind of money to spend on a game :p

How much did it cost you to upgrade from Digital Scout to Bounty Hunter? Shows up as $25 for me.

So logically, it seems cheaper to first upgrade to the Bounty Hunter package and then pay the difference between the base 300i and one of the new 300i offerings. Going by this -

DS to 315p should cost me $35
DS to 325p should cost me $40

Very tempting indeed though I doubt I will go for it for other reasons.

I would highly recommend the tractor beam and improved engines offering for $10 in case you're considering it...

Digital Scout for me is 30$ and Digital Bounty Hunter is 65$ so my upgrade cost me 35$. For that much I get the base 300i but you'd be able to get the 315 upgrade. Really wish I had been able to back at the beginning and get the cheaper prices you're seeing.

Quoting that Polygon article...

"If I wanted a blend of a ship that could hold some cargo and do some dogfighting the 300i is good for that," said Roberts. "The Aurora is the bare bone ship. Then you have a Hornet for dogfighting, but it's not great for cargo because it doesn't really have any hold. Then there is the Freelancer which is like a truck which is great for cargo but not great for dogfighting. So if you want a blend the 300i is the best bet of the basic ships that we have in the game at the start."

Between that and the brochure, it seems that the 300i is designed to be a multi purpose ship that can be modified for all tasks. Seems like the 315 is a good cheap(er) alternative for someone like me who wanted a Freelancer for exploration but doesn't want to drop 125$ on one ship.

I'm still considering the 315 upgrade but I'm not sure there's any benefit to paying money for it now when you should be able to earn it ingame relatively easily given it's low cost. Buying a ship now at least gets you LTI which is a non-essential but still tangible benefit for backing early. For the upgrade package I don't see any such incentive. On the other hand, it's only 10$ and a time limited promotion. This promo will run till July 6th so there's still time to decide.[DOUBLEPOST=1371944872][/DOUBLEPOST]Check out this guy - http://i.imgur.com/jJ6VhfE.jpg

I wish I had that sort of moolah Spin.

I don't know whats more impressive - the fact that there is a $15,000 Tier in SC called "The Completionist" or the fact that its completely SOLD OUT!!!

Mind you, digital games have been known to run out of keys several years after launch but this game hasn't even been released yet so its not a lack of keys but the fact that what was on offer simply sold out. :)

Its just amazing how much support there is for this game. I can't think of -ANY- other PC game on the planet that has got this sort of response and monetary support from gamers. If you can think of one, I would love to hear about it...

PS - CR says he will open the "Completionist" tier exclusively for you in case you're interested in buying a slot. Come on, I KNOW you want one! Plus, you get to hang out with CR and the dev team for 2 days as well...

GO GO GO Spin! :p

Its just amazing how much support there is for this game. I can't think of -ANY- other PC game on the planet that has got this sort of response and monetary support from gamers. If you can think of one, I would love to hear about it...

While Star Citizen is unmatched in terms of crowdfunding, there are a few other PC games that are pulling in big numbers and big money. League of Legends has millions of players and they must earn tons of money. The Arma series might not be as profitable but it has a massive and dedicated userbase. This is probably true for most of the flight sims from DCS and the likes. Then there's Minecraft which has recently gone multiplatform but still made hundreds of millions of dollars on PC alone. There are a few Kickstarters for PC games that have crossed 3-4 million in funding too. These are just the standout massive success stories... there are a lot of other PC games that are doing well even if they're not breaking records.

Back