Star Wars: The Old Republic - Discussion Thread

Thanks for the update. ATM there's something wrong with the registrations - after signing up I'm unable to continue logging in. 've mailed Bioware Support. Will update once I get any news.

john117 said:
^^ maybe its a test .. young padwan :D

the thought crossed my mind... maybe they're making you grind as practice for the full game :bleh: the main issue is the looping... the process to sign up is 4 webpages long... first you give your login details, then you agree to beta test, then you fill out some personal details, then you submit to a system specification test. what's really happening though, is once you fill out some details on one page and click on next, most of the time it goes back to the first page of the form and you have to start over again.

what's really happening though, is once you fill out some details on one page and click on next, most of the time it goes back to the first page of the form and you have to start over again.

Pretty much sums up what I've been facing

coolpcguy said:
Pretty much sums up what I've been facing

yea it took me a day of trying out different things before i finally managed it.

a few tips - if you use a 64bit os, update the 32bit version of java for your browsers. try using multiple browsers too... some report success with firefox, others chrome, and still others with ie. i personally managed to sign up using ie8 with compatibility view enabled. good luck.

I finally managed to signup. First I registered an account by heading over to Star Wars: The Old Republic | Create Account. Provided the details. In the next screen where it asks for contact information etc, I chose "Provide later" option. Got my verification email, verified my accound, and from here I signed up for testing. Now I wonder if I'll get the testing invite :/

FWIW I was on Firefox 3.5.3

I was also sent on a looping process. But whenever I was looped to the first page, the "Receive upadates from Lucas Arts" was checked. I unchecked it and again in a loop..Finally, I left it checked (though, its only for North America residents) and I was through and got registered... I didnt try the Provide later link though..I was on IE 8. No compatibility view. I guess they have sorted the issues now..
@cpg, u might want to update your system specifications in the My account link to get the invite :)..

@cpg, u might want to update your system specifications in the My account link to get the invite

Ah thanks for the heads up, I should've mentioned that I successfully went through the Update system specification step :)

Just wondering if they have a limit or something on the number of testers.

Re: SW - The Old Republic - New Cinematic Trailer

For me its more like "too bad its an RPG".

The first (and possibly last) one I played was KOTOR. After playing it through, I gave away KOTOR along with TSL (didnt even open it) to a friend.

I didnt find the "pause, issue command, un-pause, click attack" control system that seems to be the trademark of RPGs challenging. Nor did I find the story or character interaction interesting. I know I am in the minority as RPGs are a booming genre and KOTOR is VERY highly rated. Just didnt find the genre to be my cuppa.

I do however, thoroughly enjoy the trailers Bioware makes for the SW series. REALLY nice stuff. LA should commission Bioware to make a full length SW movie. Maybe if I keep repeating it again and again it will really happen. :p

Rickyk said:
For me its more like "too bad its an RPG".

The first (and possibly last) one I played was KOTOR. After playing it through, I gave away KOTOR along with TSL (didnt even open it) to a friend.

I didnt find the "pause, issue command, un-pause, click attack" control system that seems to be the trademark of RPGs challenging. Nor did I find the story or character interaction interesting. I know I am in the minority as RPGs are a booming genre and KOTOR is VERY highly rated. Just didnt find the genre to be my cuppa.

I do however, thoroughly enjoy the trailers Bioware makes for the SW series. REALLY nice stuff. LA should commission Bioware to make a full length SW movie. Maybe if I keep repeating it again and again it will really happen. :p
i always told you that kotor was only hyped & never good. i too cant stand rpgs.

rts is a diff story though

So you didn't like Diablo/Diablo2, NeverWinter Nights, Baldur's Gate, Mass Effect 1/2, Dragon Age, Witcher also I gather?

@jc36lect3r

Never played -any- of the above. KOTOR was the first RPG I ever tried.

I really like shooters with RPG elements - eg Deux Ex. etc.

With them, at least some AIM and therefore skill is involved rather than just point and click.

Of the games you mentioned, Mass Effect is the only one I have and from what I know its a 3rd person shooter/rpg hybrid which is fine with me. Having said that, I never managed to get past the character creation part of Mass Effect 1. There are just too many options that go way over my head. I like simple games. Give player gun and point him in the right direction. GG.

Not games that have "random dice rolls" determining whether the player actually hit another or not. I prefer to depend on aim....

Well, I can only say that you are missing something :) Although I agree that KOTOR was something of a purist, following the old formula of turn based combat. But you should definitely try Mass Effect 1/2, fast paced and great story...

Rickyk said:
I didnt find the "pause, issue command, un-pause, click attack" control system that seems to be the trademark of RPGs challenging. Nor did I find the story or character interaction interesting.
You didn't have to pause and issue commands. That was just an extra layer for the D&D purists. I played it like any other third-person shooter more or less.

And you didn't find the story and character interaction in KOTOR interesting :O? HK-47 remains the best videogame sidekick ever!

Rickyk said:
I really like shooters with RPG elements - eg Deux Ex. etc.
With them, at least some AIM and therefore skill is involved rather than just point and click.
Singleplayer games are more about the experience rather than skill.
I play all of them in easy mode because I am there for the story/gameplay. Unless it's something like Serious Sam where the entire point is to crank up the difficulty to the highest level that you can handle.

@Wheels

I had to pause Wheels. The companion AI was DUMB as h3ll and I am being polite.

They would attack the wrong targets with the wrong weapons and end up either dying or getting other party members killed due to their stupidity. So I was forced to keep pausing and queuing character attack commands and switching between them repeatedly. The fact that you could only queue 3 in a row (if i remember correctly) per character didnt help either. I don't enjoy that sort of micromanagement.

As for HK-47, I think I had him in my party just a couple of times. Once for a mission that required him to be there (I think) and maybe a couple of other times. I like Sith/Jedi/Bounty hunter kind of classes. HK reminded me a bit of Jar Jar if you know what I mean - an annoyance.

As for the story, I found it very average. Having read a lot of SW books, comics etc. I was expecting MUCH more. Maybe the game was over hyped for me.

@jc36lect3r

I bought ME1 on Steam with every intention of playing it. Its just that the opening character customization thing totally put me off. Add to that the fact that when I found out through the ME 1 Wiki that you can (and possibly need to, AI being what it is) "pause and give commands" to your party members - all my unhappy moments of micromanaging Kotor came flooding back. :(

It seems you do not like games where you have a group to control. Well, it has become one of Biowares signature methodologies.

Elder Scrolls: Oblivion and Witcher are some of the games which are strictly single player, no party's and both very good, but Oblivion's leveling mechanism is overly complex and Witcher's combat was not too great.

Agree fully on Deus Ex, one of fav names, that's where I got my internet handle from :) Hope Deus Ex Human Revolution lives to the high standard :)

Back