Video Starting August 26, 36.05% import duties of high-end displays

It will not stop at just TV sets ......... soon Cameras/Lenses/AVR's/Sound systems/Booze :finger:/all of these will attract heavy duties

36% - 42% used to be the bane earlier (and for certain items much, much more).

Congress ka haath aam aadmi ke saath.
you people commenting here are are definitely not aam aadmi with internet connection, laptops, smartphones etc.
Congress is the most secular party ever if you are against congress then you are communal!!
Gandhi family has served us for decades, why can't we trust them for another century or two?
Congress FTW and Rahul Gandhi for the PM!!

To be honest the whole world is going to watch India with a bated breath, to see what comes of these elections. No party will get a clear cut majority, or be even close to accumulate enough; so that they can join with some minor players and create a government. It is totally going to be 3-4 large groups (with minor counts); creating the government. Then it is going to be an even bigger mess. Frankly speaking India is in quite a sh** situation. Provisions which should have been done some years ago, were not done; policy making is null, and confidence in the infrastructure is faltering for outsider investors. The INR is just going to be an oversold commodity now, and people will invest in USD and gold (even though it is shooting up + import restrictions), which will further weaken the INR. It is going to take us around 2-3 years to stabilize and be strong again as an economy. Or at least come back to where we were.

It is a good lesson and reminder: we are a 3rd world nation run by even worse controllers. 4th largest GDP (PPP) and 2nd highest growth per year @6-7% is just a facade to fake and create a mask of superiority and success. Elections are round the corner and parties are going to roll out crappy (fiscal sucking) policies left/right/center/up/down. The burden will come on the mango tax paying man + higher debt for the nation, and more borrowing from external lenders. Further weakening of our bloodline -the- economy.

A storm is coming.

^ and this cycle will continue. No party will get a clear cut majority AND No Govt. in power will be able to take any anti-populist or strong measures due to the coalition nature of the Govt.

More than $2 lac cr is in Indian reserves when is not earned & is borrowed money which is supposed to be returned by march 2015. Unlike china which has thrice as much as we have & that too its earned.

When American economy is decided they think of 50 years ahead of them, we do not even think 2 years.

In the name of FDI not even a single dime has come into this country & foreign invertors are taking their investment back.

^ that's what I was thinking. One hand, they are still exporting tonnes of onions to America, Britain, etc and then to make up for shortfall, they import from other countries.

To be honest the whole world is going to watch India with a bated breath, to see what comes of these elections. No party will get a clear cut majority, or be even close to accumulate enough; so that they can join with some minor players and create a government. It is totally going to be 3-4 large groups (with minor counts); creating the government. Then it is going to be an even bigger mess.
I actually want the elections to be over and done with as it then there will be more certainty for investors. This uncertainty in regulations and how things go is what affects investment.

Bear in mind the last majority govt we had was in 1989. We've been running on coalition govts ever since. Funnily enough the only time since independence where we've had consistent growth for over two decades.

Frankly speaking India is in quite a sh** situation. Provisions which should have been done some years ago, were not done; policy making is null, and confidence in the infrastructure is faltering for outsider investors. The INR is just going to be an oversold commodity now, and people will invest in USD and gold (even though it is shooting up + import restrictions), which will further weaken the INR. It is going to take us around 2-3 years to stabilize and be strong again as an economy. Or at least come back to where we were.
1991 was even worse and see how we did.

It is a good lesson and reminder: we are a 3rd world nation run by even worse controllers. 4th largest GDP (PPP) and 2nd highest growth per year @6-7% is just a facade to fake and create a mask of superiority and success. Elections are round the corner and parties are going to roll out crappy (fiscal sucking) policies left/right/center/up/down. The burden will come on the mango tax paying man + higher debt for the nation, and more borrowing from external lenders. Further weakening of our bloodline -the- economy.

A storm is coming.
Crappy fiscal policies = even lower govt revenue.

Less revenue = how will you create populist ie bibe the voter schemes.

Every party that hopes to stay in power realises this except maybe the left. They got used to low govt revenues and made beggars of everybody.

These higher duties are to curb demand. Cannot look at this measure only in isolation and come to alarmist conclusions, why not comment about other policies the govt is also taking to stem the drop in growth rate.

I actually want the elections to be over and done with as it then there will be more certainty for investors. This uncertainty in regulations and how things go is what affects investment.
Well I did not say that the current government if it continues to run again, will keep it all nice and in tact. When ever there is a mixed group of parties forming a coalition there is speculation for future policies, and it all goes hay-wire. That is what I feel. If you think, that the new government (how ever it is formed); will be able to push through regulations, that is good. But we saw what happens when mixed group of people and create the think tank. The push-through never happens, and power of veto based on various divisional metrics comes in play. FDI was a classic example of this. Each state is a fiefdom and the center is easy to rattle and shake.

Bear in mind the last majority govt we had was in 1989. We've been running on coalition govts ever since. Funnily enough the only time since independence where we've had consistent growth for over two decades.
Yups..true. But now the economics are different. We are not an agri-economy now, but more over services. Investment is mandatory and policies have to be pushed through, sure and quick. Confidence in the rulers, per say.

1991 was even worse and see how we did.
Well the first half was Congress and their subsequent coalition and it was all going nice and cool. Then the riots of Mumbai and the Mosque / Temple (alphabetical) issues happened, and the powers were hounded. Last era of the 1990's were quite bad. So what you mean to say here..? But this is when the liberalization came in, I agree here, yes.

Crappy fiscal policies = even lower govt revenue.
Or you can read, not moving them forward. Or implementing. FDI/FII's will not wait forever. Now the $$$ which came in are rushing back to the States..!

Less revenue = how will you create populist ie bibe the voter schemes.
What does this mean..? Or got to do with this..? ;)

Every party that hopes to stay in power realises this except maybe the left. They got used to low govt revenues and made beggars of everybody.
Yes, realize, but decide not to correct the situation or take proactive steps. Our typical Indian laid back attitude (which I have too). :)

These higher duties are to curb demand. Cannot look at this measure only in isolation and come to alarmist conclusions, why not comment about other policies the govt is also taking to stem the drop in growth rate.
I am not coming to an alarmist situation. It is reactionary in nature by the governors of our nation. That is about it. I am more over speaking from a holistic point of view. India -see- is a net importer. The burden is always going to be there. It is a thin line, and keeps the economic system, exposed per say.

1. Don't know whether the next administration will be able to push through policies better than the present. But a new administration with a different configuration creates new possibilities. The problem presently is legislative deadlock, there is only room for executive manouvering. So we're a bit hobbled in terms of what can be done presently.

2. Point still stands that we've achieved consistently high growth rates for the last two decades with coalition govts.

3. By 1991 i mean the balance of payments crisis or to put it more bluntly we were flat out broke. We recovered and grew.

4. Instead of crappy policy i should have said lack of policy. Once that gets formed then people will invest.

5 & 6 . Its a partisan comment about pro people policies ie incentives in exchange for votes. Without any consideration about the impact. Blowing money on things like this instead of investing for the future isn't good. But govts still need such policies to keep their vote banks. So they have to enable legislation that keeps money flowing in or increases it just so they can tax it.

7. Had posted an op-ed in another thread earlier today, which spoke about a multi-pronged approach to stimulating growth. This is going to take time for results to come through.

Thy shalt not be lazy when posting:

1. Don't know whether the next administration will be able to push through policies better than the present. But a new administration with a different configuration creates new possibilities. The problem presently is legislative deadlock, there is only room for executive manouvering. So we're a bit hobbled in terms of what can be done presently.
Actually no one knows, and I am still speculating. But the pre-trends show it will be immensely skewed and polarized regionally. But yea, fresh blood brings new ideas to the table. Just that we have no fresh blood. Just the same garbage is regurgitated....!

2. Point still stands that we've achieved consistently high growth rates for the last two decades with coalition govts.
Then all has been fine in the past two decades, and India has not faltered..? Liberal ideas opened up our economy and successfully the resources were tapped and industry was allowed to flourish. Plus we had the .com burst into our faces like a nice rainbow...! Point being, that this mixed bag political parties have lost the scope which N. Rao started as a catalyst. That is what I am trying to say, bro.

3. By 1991 i mean the balance of payments crisis or to put it more bluntly we were flat out broke. We recovered and grew.
Yups..we had reserves for almost no time. Growth was there, I agree. But should we not have learnt from this. Maybe we did....maybe not. :)

4. Instead of crappy policy i should have said lack of policy. Once that gets formed then people will invest.
We have policy, but no foresight. And implementation is way to stagnant and latent. Investors will not wait so long. They move to other shores. The world is not that small.

5 & 6 . Its a partisan comment about pro people policies ie incentives in exchange for votes. Without any consideration about the impact. Blowing money on things like this instead of investing for the future isn't good. But govts still need such policies to keep their vote banks. So they have to enable legislation that keeps money flowing in or increases it just so they can tax it.
They are not supposed to use this cash for their political whims any ways. They are all getting a salary which is justified. I really do not see why regional/ethnic oriented (or laced) policies have to be created. The new state creation is a classic example.

7. Had posted an op-ed in another thread earlier today, which spoke about a multi-pronged approach to stimulating growth. This is going to take time for results to come through.
Thread..?

Thy shalt not be lazy when posting:

Actually no one knows, and I am still speculating. But the pre-trends show it will be immensely skewed and polarized regionally. But yea, fresh blood brings new ideas to the table. Just that we have no fresh blood. Just the same garbage is regurgitated....!
Do you have any references to those pre-trends ?

We're in the era of regional parties now. Congress & BJP are irrelevant in 250 out of 543 constituencies.

The party that is the most adept at handling coalitions will win the next elections.

Our system is based on consent. Progress or stability are by-products of the process, not goals. At the end of the day govt stays in office at the will of the people or goes. Makes for slow progress, sometimes things get stuck but we keep explosions to a minimum this way.

Then all has been fine in the past two decades, and India has not faltered..? Liberal ideas opened up our economy and successfully the resources were tapped and industry was allowed to flourish. Plus we had the .com burst into our faces like a nice rainbow...! Point being, that this mixed bag political parties have lost the scope which N. Rao started as a catalyst. That is what I am trying to say, bro.
The gist i get is conventional wisdom says coalitions make it difficult to carry out decisions. So I posted a counter to that. Making deals is what representatives are supposed to do. Its their job. If they start stonewalling or asking for the moon and holding things up they pay the price in the next elections. Its a slow process but that's the way it works.

How would you define faltered here ? setbacks when it came to passing legislation, washed out sessions where no work got done and were full of hot air. Yeah we've had those.

Yups..we had reserves for almost no time. Growth was there, I agree. But should we not have learnt from this. Maybe we did....maybe not. :)
We did not go all the way with liberalisation. Vested interests put some solid roadblocks in the way. More needs to be done. the problem here is we progress through crisis. Things have to get bad before anything changes. In that way our progress has been accidental and not by design. I don't know how you change that. We are bad at latent problems but we can solve bad problems. We don't have that fine grained control yet.

We have policy, but no foresight. And implementation is way to stagnant and latent. Investors will not wait so long. They move to other shores. The world is not that small.
Investors will come so long as there is profit to be made. The key is to create that environment. Only 8 states out of the union are classified as business friendly by the us-india business association. Just 8 ! What about the rest.

They are not supposed to use this cash for their political whims any ways. They are all getting a salary which is justified. I really do not see why regional/ethnic oriented (or laced) policies have to be created. The new state creation is a classic example.
Weakness in the concerned areas. Any party would do the same. Sowing chaos and exploiting it. You can solve problems you create and get credit. Its harder to solve problems you did not create.

About new states. Uttarakhand breaks away from UP and does better and Bihar jettisons Jharkhand and improves as well.

Thread..?
Here's the article.

Last edited:
Back