Android Stolen phone tracked: What to do now ??

^^ There will be no progress until next month i.e. until I reach Bhubaneswar. I don't think I'll ever get the phone back. I'm trying to trace back the phone to the thief which I believe lives in my building itself.

If the phone is switched off, nothing can be done. IMEI tracking works but unfortunately our police is unequipped enough to not being able to do so.
Our police is equipped to do so.But lazy enough not to bother.If you have some contacts in police,it will be easy.
My cousin worked in aircel.He told me how the procedure works.Police blacklist an IMEI to all service providers.All calls through the service provider are associated with IMEI of the phone through which call has been made.So police can easily get the details of the person using the phone.

If you get the address of the thief,pay a policeman few bucks and take him to the thiefs house.He will get scared and return the phone.:p.
I think its much better than useless trips to the police station

@pauldmps Can you post a tut on what all settings and options are useful on avast anti theft might be useful
Turn off all settings like automatic phone block or alarm.Its ridiculous.Thief will know and go to a shop and somehow get it removed.Other commands are listed on the website which you send as sms to the stolen phone

Last edited by a moderator:
Our police is equipped to do so.But lazy enough not to bother.If you have some contacts in police,it will be easy.
My cousin worked in aircel.He told me how the procedure works.Police blacklist an IMEI to all service providers.All calls through the service provider are associated with IMEI of the phone through which call has been made.So police can easily get the details of the person using the phone.

If you get the address of the thief,pay a policeman few bucks and take him to the thiefs house.He will get scared and return the phone.:p.
I think its much better than useless trips to the police station

Nah. My friend's new Nokia 701 was stolen. His father is a police officer. Even then, he wasn't able to track the phone using IMEI. The person using the phone (whom I believe is not the thief but bought it from the grey market), is in Tamil Nadu. I'm in Jharkhand, the phone was stolen in Bhubaneswar, so you can understand the problem!!! Taking Odisha police to some odd place in TN wouldn't work I guess.

Turn off all settings like automatic phone block or alarm.Its ridiculous.Thief will know and go to a shop and somehow get it removed.Other commands are listed on the website which you send as sms to the stolen phone

The problem is that all Indian operators have this facility that whenever balance is deducted due to sending messages, a notification is shown. This can be enough to spook the thief.

Back