Linux Stop saying that the linux desktop looks bad!!!

Looks pretty Cool.
Pretty cool indeed for Linux. Though i hate linux. F***ing Slow :mad:.

MOD EDIT: Kindly use language suitable to all members of the forum and censor words like above.

^^ slow?..slow in what?..other than the boot-up and shutdown..i dont think its slow. Even the boot-up is just over a minute and there are shortcuts for a quick shutdown:p
heres my linux DT...i use gnome cos KDE seems to be having some issues with my comp:bleh:

i dig the default KDE desktop :D looks cool :D

made sound work in slack 10.2...sounds better than windows..so i boot into Linux whenever i listen to songs :D

If you have a problem with slow Linux (and indeed, all too many are slow for desktop purposes) then try kubuntu (ubuntu with KDE) or SUSE, even Mandrake.

Pretty fast.

I hear Xandros and Linspire are fast, but I never used them so I can't say. But you will admit that it looks quite decent.

"Slow"ness really depends on the choice of software, most importantly the desktop environment used. KDE and Gnome are slow for sure, much slower than explorer of windows. But if you use something like XFCE, Icewm, FVWM or fluxbox, you will find a faster desktop than you can imagine.

Another aspect is the amount of services started by the distro, some of them start a whole load of stuff like Apache, vsftpd, samba and such not really required by home users. Tweaking this can make a good difference. My arch linux box starts up in 25 seconds on a 266MHz processor, and never behaves sluggishly, so really there is nothing slow about linux. Here are some screenshots of -

XFCE

FVWM

IceWM

Oh of course its not eye candy like KingKrool's KDE screenshots, but well it is true that you gotta compromise between speed and fancy looks.

Yeah.. just disable the services.. ones you don't need are nfs, samba (unsless u know how to use them, otherwise just forget abt em, but you can keep samba if there is a way to use it with webmin), vsftpd (or any other ftp), apache, named, dhcpd, even ssh if you don't use it. If you want advice (on a redhat, mandrake or suse distro) use the following command:

chkconfig --list > servicesfile

and then post that file on the forum.. ujjwal and I will be able to tell you which ones to get rid of.

Some distros do not have chkconfig, which is a pity cause it is a rwally good tool (made by SGI originally I think)

i'm no programmer so excuse me for dis el stupido Q-but y cant developers make Linux a Point-&-click OS ? Wats d big need for a console based thingy..??

You don't really need to use the command line ... by letting X windows handle logging in (as most distro's do by default), and using a desktop like KDE, Gnome, XFCE or many others with a distribution like Suse, mandrake, fedora or ubuntu, you can stick to GUI applications and never have to go to console.

Yes, if you ask help about a certain job, you are likely to be told the command line way to do it, as that is more universal, and will rarely vary across implementations.

The command line can never dissapear from linux distributions, simply because its very powerful for many things, and many people prefer using command line to GUI.

Well, even Windows admins do not use the windows gui always - ask experienced guys like cngn. Scripts and all, rarely have anything to do with GUIs. Anyway, most distros allow you to do just about everything without going to a console. And if you dislike consoles so much, there are always virtual consoles and apps like webmin.

Besides, I had a problem with linux cos of that too, then when I realised how even in windows you so often have to do the same thing.

LINUX - edit some config files

WINDOWS - edit registry, or maybe some .ini files

WINDOWS - to delete some stubborn files, to see some hidden files etc you need to use cmd.

Frankly there is no need to use the command line at all in many distros like SUSE. Try it and you will realise.

^ i use bat files a lot ,and run instead of the menu's.

PS: since we r on a GUI and desktop discussion anywy, lemme just intro this cool looking icon arrangement at objectDock. for windows.

ObjectDock
index.42.jpg

ObjectDock is a program that lets you organize your short-cuts and running tasks onto an extremely customizable dock that sits on your desktop.

You don't really need to use the command line ... by letting X windows handle logging in (as most distro's do by default), and using a desktop like KDE, Gnome, XFCE or many others with a distribution like Suse, mandrake, fedora or ubuntu, you can stick to GUI applications and never have to go to console.

Ok.. My major reason for dumping linux was just dis.. I couldn really even install Nvidia drivers or my fav Mozilla w/o invoking d console..! Unpack-uncompress-verify.. Sheesh.. !

I couldn really even install Nvidia drivers or my fav Mozilla w/o invoking d console

what god forsaken distro did u use?

Admittedly the drivers are sometimes painful, but mozilla? You always get easy to use packages for that. Try ubuntu or SUSE if you want free packages. There are free packages for Fedora Core too, but no free update site so you have to manually search for packages, while SUSE and ubuntu allow you to use the packet managers (yast and synaptic respectively) to download packages directly from their site (sorta like windows update)

^^ he he u r right...but for installing the Nvidia drivers the xserver shudnt be running...u have to install it using the shell only.

using FC3 it was kind of a pain to install cos the xserver starts immedately even b4 all the other networking services n all start.

finally realised that i had to change the runtime level to 3 in GRUB so that fc3 wont boot into the xserver.

Then that is a badly designed driver there mate. It should be possible for the driver to shutdown xwindows and bring it back up I guess. If I can do it manually (usig kill)I do not see why the driver cannot do it.

This is what someone had to say with regards to the Nvidia drivers and the installation :D

Download driver from nVidia site (this took far longer than the rest of the process), change default to text mode (just in case), switch to text mode, login as root, install driver, no kernel, allow it to download one, allow it to try recompiling the kernel, success, drivers installed successfully, modprobe nvidia, switch back to graphics mode.

I found that it was not actually using the new drivers. I switched back to text mode, edited the xorg.conf to use the 'nvidia' driver, instead of 'nv'. I also removed the DRI driver.

I then switched back to graphics mode again and it worked fine. I tried glxgears as a test. All seems fine. Lastly, I changed the default mode back to graphical.

The smoothest installation of the nVidia drivers that I have ever seen.

Back