Studying Game Programming !!

Bluffmaster

Skilled
Hi Guyz ,

One of my friend is pretty eager to learn game programming. He is currently doing Engineering from Bangalore and in his free time he wants to learn something related to game programming and game engine design or something. So all u guys in Bangalore , can u suggest some good institute to learn the same. Also mention whats the fees structure like and the duration of such course.

Regards
Bluff~ :)

i guess you are talking about PC game programming
ok start with very good knowledge of C / C++ ,Data Structure, maths(vector space, graph theory)...then learn OpenGL ... i don't know of any institute in India offers game programming UG courses but in kolkata jadavpur university has a M.Tech in game programming ..

Best is learn those things i told you ..then do MS in game programming from any good university in abroad ..:)

None exist... if anyone claims to teach game programming, ask that person where he/she learnt from. I can guarantee the person will go silent. Game programming has lots of things... graphics, sound, ai, networking. First find out what he's interested in. If its graphics, well he/she better do a formal course in graphics before he/she think of game programming. Trust me it isn't easy and it can't be picked up in 2-3 months. Infact after my formal graphics course in the university, I was really really clueless about how all this could be used in games. Took a lot of time to understand and master most of the stuff.

Game programming is still a very new concept here in india..it can be classified inot 2 categories...if he really wants to go into the AI programming, then he shud have a good knowledge of c/c++/visual c++, directx programming, open gl n all..the other part deals with graphics which include modelling of characters, rigging and animation using softwares like max, maya n softimage etc...for the first part, its kinda hard to find a specialized course for it, but for the other part, there are lot of options out thr including MAAC, arena and maximus.....i wud personally suggest to ditch arena n maximus....go for maac..they r prolly the best out there for learning graphics for game production...:)

No good institutes in India...He will have to try to get in as a trainee into some game dev company and work his way through...

or maybe try and learn abroad..

If he is really keen on this, 3D Buzz has very good video training modules on XNA...but unfortunately they dont ship to India...

3D Buzz

If he is looking at an online course with the added advantage of credits he could try Gameinstitute.com.

The faculty looks pretty good as it inculdes some well known authors of game dev books such as John De Goes.

They conduct the course using a modular approach, basic C++, Game maths, A.I., Open GL etc.

Course fees are not bad either!

Well what if someones is not interested in programming..

atleast not in C/C++/DS..

Any chance to make a career in Game Developing..?
If yes.. what should be the approach..!!

You can do artwork I suppose.... music etc. But that is basically content creation. There is nothing gaming specific in that. Which is probably a good thing.

^^
So u mean to say basically everything in Developing Games need the interest and expertise in C/C++/DC

if u don't wanna program you have to learn to draw well, really well :p making games was never easy .....or else you manage, which will have nothing to do with what you want to do....

Hehe the coding part is much easier than the drawing part :p. For the latter you need to have those skills and drawing nicely is not something that everyone can do. Me and a bunch of blokes tried to create a quake engine clone sometime back while in college. The fun part was the art. No one amongst us could draw. The stuff looked like they were made by 2 year olds cos we were so bad in art :rofl:.

Well, you dont need to be a fullblown artists to be able to create game assets...It helps though, no doubt...

I know so many excellent character modellers/animators/facial artists who are not good at drawing, but are good at what they do...

In short..its not a rule, but it helps....

Having said that not all have a thing for this...you have to have that artistic sense...

Anyway dipen, there is no reason to be so depressed.

Since you don't like coding you won't like game programming (not saying anything about the art side).

Clearly there is no reason to be depressed - you don't actually want to be a game dev, you just thought you wanted to be one. Now that you know what it involves you think it sucks. Then why the sad emoticon?

naa...actually i am harboring this idea of game developing since long ;)

Well right now am doing I.T engg...so all my life surrounds coding...and so i basically lost my interest..I just code so that i can pass my subjects :p

So coding as a career is scary...and i dint know that its so much depends on coding..

anyways...dunno about my drawing in this aspect ;) actually never really tried it.!!

So first ill have to try it and then only i can be sure..that the field isnt for me..!! Animation..the field is interesting..but itll definitely need artistic sense.

Let see...:bleh:

easiest way is stick to directx, get XNA SDK. It has some examples which will help you get started with VB.NET. One you're through you can switch to hardcore coding with VC++. However i'd say go with .NET! makes the job easy :p

Google around, you'll find plenty of free artwork to be used in the game. you can collaborate with people on many forums. I used a beta from Home :: Truevision3D Its not best of the lot but good to begin with. Give it a shot. the forums are very good imo.

Though there are few companies, but jobs are plenty. My friend, whos a producer of PC division at a game making company, says they hardly find any good coder whos interested in game programming as a career.

Arya said:
whos a producer of PC division at a game making company, says they hardly find any good coder whos interested in game programming as a career.

yeah yeah I know a guy who is into Mobile game development said the same ..they barely finds a combination of a Gamer+good programmer ...

Back