Studying Game Programming !!

nukeu666 said:
game assets=art/audio?

and whats a game services company? they make components for others to use?

Game services is a broad term for "Game Assets + Game code + Game testing"...

^ ah....not that guy! anyway...it must be same frustrating thing for him too.

are there any indian companies that actually make playable pc games?

No one has gone so far to do something all on their own, funds,market,talent pool are somethings that are not available in plenty.

Most of them are into outsourcing and porting, major revenue generator. part of work is done in smaller original games, mostly mobile.

Thanks alot Guys for ur valuable Info.

Well actually he is really good in C & C++ and he is interested in the coding part only. Actually he happened to stumble upon a site of an institute which offers a course in game Programming.

Here is the site : Learn Game Programming India Delhi Not sure about it but the site looks pretty convincing. What do u guys think ?? Are there any similar institutes in bangalore ?

Once again thanx alot for the replies :)

Bluffmaster said:
Thanks alot Guys for ur valuable Info.

Well actually he is really good in C & C++ and he is interested in the coding part only. Actually he happened to stumble upon a site of an institute which offers a course in game Programming.

Here is the site : Learn Game Programming India Delhi Not sure about it but the site looks pretty convincing. What do u guys think ?? Are there any similar institutes in bangalore ?

Once again thanx alot for the replies :)

The game programming they teach seems to be of the kind used for mobile platforms. Most of these comprise of making small arcade kind of games like Tetris, Arkanoid, Car racing etc in C++ and Java. If thats the case, I am not sure how much of a worth such a course would be. I would say that he start small on his own (i.e without involving any of those pretty graphics done with Open GL or Direct X) and develop his knowledge slowly to go on to the big things.

check out these facts ,compiled at our friends over at pluggd.in ....

* Kreeda Games, India's first India’s first dedicated Massive Multiplayer Online Game (MMOG) Operator has received funding from IDG Ventures India and SoftBank (the investment is learnt to be less than $10 million).
* Zapak has roped in top Bollywood stars like Salman Khan and Bipasha Basu to work with its team to conceptualize a few games in the casual games category.
* Contest2win had developed games for brands like Airtel, Garnier, Pepsi, etc
* Hungama was expected to develop an advergame about Lux and Sugarfree
* Zapak has tie ups with Logitech and Titan Fastrack.
* Zapak's aim is to create as many as 1,00,000 gaming seats across the country with 50-60 million registered gamers in the next 18-24 months.
* Zapak is expecting a turnover of Rs 40 crore for fiscal 2007-08.
* Indiagames and Sify partner to launch MMORPG games
* FXLabs Studios is developing a PC game based on Yashraj film's Dhoom II (expected to distribute the game through its network and channel partners, probably around the time of the Dhoom III launch)
* Indiagames has tied up with Microsoft’s Entertainment & Devices Division, and will be e-tailing Microsoft’s gaming console.
src

Trust me, GameShastra pawns all these in infrastructure, people and projects. Wish I could tell you more...

Wait couple of months :)

Fist of all game programming isnt about just a single language like you pickup java as your base n go on making a game.

Game programing is just one of a department in game development team which comprises of programmers, sound engineers, graphic artists, debuggers, modellers, hardware testers and so on..
<

Even in programming its a vast line.... core coding, sound, interaction, AI, texture, encode decode, linkers etc.
<

So as you see the entire programming isnt possible by a single person but you do get a chance to work on all the above depts. accordingly.

Hence, your friend can pick up any language of his choice and become a pro in that with a strong logic development skill and ultimately try in any gaming company. His designation will be in software development dept. But they look for hell lot of experience and that too on live projects.

Thus as per qualifications people are placed acordingly. And if you are multi qualified then you have more options to choose from.

My friend is certified animator with tons of experience and also a pro in java and c#. And he is going to apply in biggies like EA Games, Eidos Interactive, Rockstar Games etc...
<

game programming involves many things. A game consists of a game engine and game audio video package. the AI engine, rendering engine etc... are handled by the game engine. now; if you want to write your own game engine its going to be like reinventing the wheel all over again.

for starters there are few openly available game engines which they should start using to develop games. modify the engines where needed. companies like valve, id software etc... spent years perfecting their engines and most of the games simply license them to develop their games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_of_Duke_Nukem_Forever this article give a fair idea and what could go wrong with developing a game engine.

So start off with engines like XNA Game Studio or Ogre 3D or any such open source game engines and start developing games.

Thats my 2 cents
<

Lols..this thread was in recent posts today and i dint saw the date P

but hope this helps somebody having similar question after 5 years...
<

Back