Subconscious mind riding the bike ?

tracerbullet said:
It happens to me and exactly the way you describe it. It's as if I was in a coma during that time period or something. Sometimes when I jump back into the real world I'm quite disoriented too. There's even a word dedicated to this phenomenon - absentmindedness ;)

Exactly :p, used to happen to me when i was in high school, rarely though.

Happens... and me staring at a chick and snapping outta trance when she drifts off my road..... hota hain lots of times.... :bleh:

4dh1r said:
Yeah... It happened to me too...
I watched Ghajini and I got a feeling that I have seen it before...only to find out that I had actually seen it before and it was lying in some other HDD all along with the name Memento :rofl:

please don't compare those two movies :no: ...they r worlds apart...maybe the other one was the south indian ghajini u had seen earlier ;)

raksrules said:
Ok so this has happened with me a couple of times before wherein i am on my way to office or coming back and while riding the bike some thought suddenly strikes me and i start thinking about the same. All this while i am riding the bike (on open road and in traffic many a times) and suddenly after some time i realize that i have traveled quite a lot from where i last remember. And i have no memory of that small patch(this can be upto a kilometer sometimes) i rode the bike :huh:
Now was it that my subconscious mind was riding the bike at that time ???

PS: I know such a thing is highly dangerous and can be fatal :ashamed:

It is real at least for me. More in cars than in bikes. The vehicle used to run perfectly for relatively longer periods while my mind is wandering elsewhere. But I hardly ever used to go beyond 50-60 kms. And over the decades, never met with an accident other than once few years back when a kid jumped to the front of the car. The car had came to a full stop when he hit the bonnet and the injury was minor. But nowadays the phenomena (may I call it autopilot by the subconscious mind) has become rare as I became older. (So the analogy of an empty HDD getting filled with data over time does not seem appropriate to me) BTW, over the years I have driven lakhs of kms in my bullets, Ambassador, Jeep, Maruthis, Uno and present Vista in addition to the official vehicles which I used to drive myself keeping the driver in the back seat. (partly due to their unbearable driving habits) To me the factors seem mental conditioning due experience, ability for fast reflex action, our own identification to the vehicle etc. etc.

Honestly, after a while and constant practice, driving bikes and cars does become a partly subconscious act.I hardly 'think' while I'm driving, it just happens automatically.

F|0ccY said:
Honestly, after a while and constant practice, driving bikes and cars does become a partly subconscious act.I hardly 'think' while I'm driving, it just happens automatically.

But it is not about thinking of driving but the mind being engrossed in something else.

janitha said:
But it is not about thinking of driving but the mind being engrossed in something else.

+1

whenever im particularly distracted...with mind pondering over something else...my commute from college to home goes completely unnoticed (15km).
I guess my bike rarely goes over 30-40...but thats all thats possible in the city traffic...

subconcious mind at its best i guess...

at other times, i actively try my best to go as quick as possible, without going dangerous, simply coz im afraid ill doze off if i go at a leisurely pace as some others on the road do...lol...

This happens to me all the time!!

Whole way to college and the way back, my driving has become purely automatic! cant even recall the episodes from the drive to college and back home!! :rofl:

Sometimes when my fav song plays on my car audio, is when i sometimes get back to the road! also happens when someone in front of me brakes suddenly!

Only some incidents can bring u consciously back to driving! rest of the drive is like 'autopilot' :rofl:

janitha said:
But nowadays the phenomena (may I call it autopilot by the subconscious mind) has become rare as I became older. (So the analogy of an empty HDD getting filled with data over time does not seem appropriate to me)

your's maybe a case of bad sectors creeping in. See if a format improves things :tongue:

On a more serious note memory and learning abilities follow a bell curve. And what I have quoted here comes from a psychologist. though not in exact words but the crux remains the same :)

JeDiKnight said:
@MHI...can we format our own memory...coz tht wud b absolutely awesome :D

To be serious, there is nothing wrong with the memory. The reflex action is slightly slow and may be the intuition part too!;)

JeDiKnight said:
@MHI...can we format our own memory...coz tht wud b absolutely awesome :D

Yes we can... Don't u remember the famous Bollywood dialog, "Main kaun hoon? Kahaan hoon?" :bleh:
Just hit your head on a wall :S and you can format ur brain (or maybe just a drive in the brain) easily ;)
or u can program your brain to automatically format a drive in ur brain every few minutes like Memento/Ghajini/Ghajini.

At night, our brain defragments & backs up data automatically storing the data from temporary folder to a permanent folder.

Even i go thru these periods during my bike rides wherein im deep in thought abt something that when i do come out of it, im like "Whoa!, concentrate on the road dude or im roadkill." But no accidents so far, so i guess its just a matter of instincts and reflexes that help u make it thru the daily grind of driving ur car/bike.

Also from time to time, i experience a sense of deja vu as thebanik pointed out earlier. And i agree with motorheadinc's analysis. I always used to wonder why i felt that way and sometimes used to worrry that my mind's getting f'd up but im atleast glad that other peeps feel the same way too and that im not the only one. Seems like its alrite if u feel a certain amnt of deja vu.......

Back