Submersible Pump for home use suggestion

kartikoli

Skilled
My house was damaged because a newly constructed 3 story house used sub standard material that affected all houses near it including mine so I have to demolish almost half of my house and then rebuild. Now since we are dealing with all these things I've decided to opt for borewell and obvious choice is to go with Submersible Pump. I've asked a contractor and he quoted 42k for everything that include 1.5hp varuna motor. I don't know if thats a good brand so if anyone have an experience with it please share or other brand motor
When I googled most blogs suggested to go with Kirloskar or CRI so I am confused now, The water level in my area is at 120ft and I am considering to bore till 200ft and place motor at 150~160ft so considering depth of motor as 160+40ft for 4 story building (future plans) are these 1.5hp motors enough and give good pressure?

Also any idea about the price? If I ask him to use Kirloskar or CRI he would definitely increase price so do you guys think its a fair price in general as few videos on youtube says 25~30k for 200ft boaring

Ask for a price breakdown for him. It all depends on the area you are getting the bore done at. Here in my place in Himachal, it cost 1.5L for a 250ft bore because of the rocky soil we have.
I would say go with Kirloskar or other known brand. You can get direct prices from your local Kirloskar dealer and then bargain with the installer. 1.5HP is more than enough and you can even go with a lower powered one if your use is only gonna be domestic. For every pump, there is a head (height) value and corresponding flow rating as well. For Kirloskar you will find all these on their website. Just add your house height to the bore depth and you will know how much head requirement you have. Remember, for pumps, only height/depth distances are relevant and not the horizontal distances.

Yeah, I was thinking on same lines to go with known brands also opt for labor contract so can pick best parts even if it means more money but piece of mind. I'll check Kirloskar website to see what are they going to recommend and will opt for 1.5hp.

I saw few videos where they asked to avoid oil cooled pumps as there may be a chance that oil get leaked to the supply water

Also, if you are getting it done professionally then do get the map/diagram of your bore and opt for 6 mm wire. In our agricultural usage, we use 20-25 HP motors and use 10 mm wire. 6 mm might be an overkill for your need but then again with such thick gauge, wiring will never be one of your concern. As for placement depth, rather than one's desire, it would depend upon geology of and aquifers in your area. If water table goes down in your area during dry season and have low recharge area then deeper would be good.

Good suggestion about the wire, will ask them about it but I don't understand what do you mean by map/diagram? the contractor suggested 150ft motor depth as we have water at 120ft so a room for 30ft though I will go with 160ft to be on a safer side or is it something not so relevant. I live in the heart of the city with good water supply but submersible pumps are on a rise and out of 4 sides 3 of them have submersible pumps so expecting water level will go down in extreme heat

We found water at 60ft,but we got the bore drilled till 250ft and the pump is currently at 150ft. It is better to get the bore done deep the first time itself.
Secondly, 6mm wire will be overkill, because a 1.5HP pump has a rated current of 8.8A and even a 2.5mm wire is rated for 15A. If you want to do better, 4mm wire will be enough. Also, you will have to buy a pump starter as well. My borewell pump has one, but my Kirloskar monoblock pump doesn't.

4 sqmm is better for use, no need to go for 6sqmm.

Also Lubi has very good reputation.

I checked with our company purchase department and pump is available for 14000 and kirloskar is available for same figure.

For pipe use Astral bore well column pipe.

We found water at 60ft,but we got the bore drilled till 250ft and the pump is currently at 150ft. It is better to get the bore done deep the first time itself.
Secondly, 6mm wire will be overkill, because a 1.5HP pump has a rated current of 8.8A and even a 2.5mm wire is rated for 15A. If you want to do better, 4mm wire will be enough. Also, you will have to buy a pump starter as well. My borewell pump has one, but my Kirloskar monoblock pump doesn't.
This is very sound advice on the depth point. We have a 200 ft borewell, which has worked great for 12-13 years now. However, in spite of going deep enough at the time, we now have little/ no water last 2 summers. Ground water levels fall, and fall fast to the point of the lowest borewell in the area it seems.

Submersibles are rated by the number of stages. Each stage pumps the water to the next stage. This in effect determines the delivery head. 1.5 HP should be more than enough. Go for Grundfos (Denmark based) if you can afford it. Next best option would be KSB (German based). Next would be Texmo/CRI/Kirloskar etc.

Last edited:
I've decided to bore 250 ft and have pump at 200 ft so will have 80 ft margin also possibility to go 50 ft in future. About the wires, If 2.5mm is enough then a good wire would do the job I guess. Now about the pump which one should I choose, oil or water cooled?

Planning to go for Kirloskar so unless a dealer makes a convincing remark about other motors I am buying this. I asked my neighbor and he told that his motor was replaced within 5yrs but thats expected because that 3 story building was constructed by a builder so they saved money on everything. Told me they found water at 80ft and bore till 120ft now they've increased to 130ft. I don't think that will last long so its a waste of money.

My house was damaged because a newly constructed 3 story house used sub standard material that affected all houses near it including mine so I have to demolish almost half of my house and then rebuild. Now since we are dealing with all these things I've decided to opt for borewell and obvious choice is to go with Submersible Pump. I've asked a contractor and he quoted 42k for everything that include 1.5hp varuna motor. I don't know if thats a good brand so if anyone have an experience with it please share or other brand motor
When I googled most blogs suggested to go with Kirloskar or CRI so I am confused now, The water level in my area is at 120ft and I am considering to bore till 200ft and place motor at 150~160ft so considering depth of motor as 160+40ft for 4 story building (future plans) are these 1.5hp motors enough and give good pressure?

Also any idea about the price? If I ask him to use Kirloskar or CRI he would definitely increase price so do you guys think its a fair price in general as few videos on youtube says 25~30k for 200ft boaring
WHen you consider a submersible motor first check the water yeild after doing the drilling . If your borewell yield is too low then the motor would burn out without water since submersible motors need water to cool them . When drilling make sure you drill a little into the hard rock surface and use casing pipe until the hard layer . Most contractors just drill till the soft mud layer .
Always buy water cooled motor . Avoid oil cooled motors . Water cooled motors are costlier than similar oil cooled ones .
Each stage is approx 30 ft . so for a 120 ft borewell you will need a 4 stage pump . This determines the depth at which the motor can be operated .
Kirloskar or CRI are good . Would suggest Texmo or Suguna . Avoid V3 motors . Go for V4 models only .

You are talking about an ideal situation . If the voltage is 230v then current consumed will be 8.8A . If the voltage drops to say 150v check the amps . When electricity needs to pass through long cables due to resistance the voltage as well as current rating drops .
Use only flat cables for borewells . There are cheaper round cables of the same guage . If the motor is installed using HDPE pipes then using a lower cost wire is fine .

Submersibles are rated by the number of stages. Each stage pumps the water to the next stage. This in effect determines the delivery head. 1.5 HP should be more than enough. Go for Grundfos (Denmark based) if you can afford it. Next best option would be KSB (German based). Next would be Texmo/CRI/Kirloskar etc.
Except for the snob value those motors are useless unless they are used in an industrial setting with specific requirements . Servicing the pumps , getting spares are not so easy .

Thanks for the info, I am waiting for construction work to complete and then move on to water project. Do you have any recommendation for water cooled pumps? @yugaaa

Thanks for the info, I am waiting for construction work to complete and then move on to water project. Do you have any recommendation for water cooled pumps? @yugaaa
Since I am from South India ,from my experience the best and the cheapest is Suguna . I am talking about good quality and pricing as well . There are cheaper no name ones which have inferior castings and aluminium windings . As a start my benchmark would be Suguna . If you can afford then go for Texmo , CRI . If your water level is good and the borewell is over 6 inches then go for pumps like these .https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=VERTICAL+OPEN+WELL+SUBMERSIBLE+PUMP&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8 https://www.venturapumps.com/product/domestic-vertical-open-well-submersible-pump/ https://www.lubipumps.com/product-category/horizontal-multistage-submersible-pumpslhms-series-copy/ . These type of pumps are cheaper do not need a starter box and cost approx 30 -40 % of a regular submersible pump and water delivery is much higher which results in lower power consumption than a similar capacity submersible borewell pump .

P.S - I am not with any manufacturer . I am giving inputs based on my experiences .

This is very sound advice on the depth point. We have a 200 ft borewell, which has worked great for 12-13 years now. However, in spite of going deep enough at the time, we now have little/ no water last 2 summers. Ground water levels fall, and fall fast to the point of the lowest borewell in the area it seems.
The reason is water is not dependent on the depth . Water level of a borewell depends on layers at which the water aquifers are there . In the pic you can see that there are layers of impermeable rocks or soil . So drilling into the impermeable layers will not yield water and it is a waste of money and time . when water level goes down use a lower water out put delivery motor since the aquifers are not getting recharged as they should due to faster urbanisation , higher draw of water due to more borewells in the area .

Attachments

• aquifier.jpg
    aquifier.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 101
Finally done with everything and here is what I got.
Lubi LDS-10H/14 Rainbow-PS Series 1.5 hp 14 stage Oiled filled pump
Ashirvad 4 inch 6kg pipes also inner pipes from Ashirvad as well (I had an option to select from Ashirvad, Supreme, Astral and everyone suggested to go with Ashirvad)
Crompton 2.5mm wire
+ Extra

The bore was done till 200ft and motor was set at 150ft, We got water at 90ft and got sand till 185ft. The contractor advice to bore till we keep getting sand so we bore 15ft extra and drilled pipes till 190ft.
Charges - 55k (12k for labour+Rest for Material)

Thankfully I listed to the contractor advice and choose Lubi pump and wow this one is awesome, the boring close to my house uses Crompton motor and when I compared the pressure side by side the water pressure is double

Back