Budget 10-15K Sufficient RAM for non-gaming phone?

Keimah

Recruit
I need to choose a phone for someone who does not play games but is active on social media, regularly watches Youtube videos and likes to take snapshots and short video clips. In short, the usual non-gaming activities. Budget is not fixed and I don't want to go for the bare minimum specs but neither do I want to go overboard with a needlessly expensive model.

I don't know much about smartphones but I do know that you can do all this on practically any modern phone. And I have some idea about the CPUs and GPUs used in low-mid-range phones. Where I'm stuck is what would be sufficient RAM and storage, especially the RAM. Is 4GB enough? Will the user experience a significant difference between that and 6GB RAM?

Buy used ones ... social media apps are processor hungry specially fb ig n messenger
It's not I who's going to pay for the phone and the user can afford a good phone. It's just that I don't like waste and don't want anyone to waste their money on my advice.

I'm fairly techno-savvy in some areas and have bought literally dozens of mobiles for others. But I've always worked at home and don't use mobile phones much myself, preferring a landline and a PC except where the use of a mobile phone is unavoidable. Hence my ignorance.

For custom roms such as Miui, OneUi and others, yes. Opt for 4gb ones only if you are on Stock Android. But having 6gb will be future proofing.
Do you have any particular brands which you like/hate?
I find that, in general, Xiaomi offers the best bang for the buck, although I've bought other brands for others. I don't use mobile phones much myself.

Unfortunately, Android is resource hungry and works best with as much RAM as you can give it. 6GB is enough though, but if one can afford and the price difference isn't much, then I would even go for 8GB,but it is not necessary. 6GB is the perfect sweet spot right now with 4GB being usable but not recommended.

I'm still using a 4GB RAM device just fine with no issues whatsoever since 2018. Running Custom ROM though, Android 11 now from 8.1 stock. I have absolutely no need to upgrade it. I do not game on mobile. It's just for banking, shopping, web browsing and chatting apps. No facebook/instagram/twitter. If you want to use those apps I'll suggest 6GB RAM device for a smooth experience. 8GB is overkill.

I'm still using a 4GB RAM device just fine with no issues whatsoever since 2018. Running Custom ROM though, Android 11 now from 8.1 stock. I have absolutely no need to upgrade it. I do not game on mobile. It's just for banking, shopping, web browsing and chatting apps. No facebook/instagram/twitter. If you want to use those apps I'll suggest 6GB RAM device for a smooth experience. 8GB is overkill.
What does your RAM usage stats show. I jumped straight to 6GB from 3GB phones. The Redmi Note 3 was the last 3GB phone I had, and even though I was running a stock Android ROM on it, it was starting to lag and RAM usage was always over 2.5/2.6GB. On a 6GB phone as well, RAM usage has always been 80-85%, but with higher RAM, the FREE RAM size increases despite the usage being same percentage wise. It shows my average RAM usage as 4.8GB right now. So yeah, 8GB would be overkill, but I would still go for that if budget permits and price difference isn't huge.

What does your RAM usage stats show.
Around 1GB free. I've not experienced ang lag on my device with the apps I use. Maybe it's due to the clean custom ROM (Pixel Experience) and regularly updated kernels.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220118-102917_AIDA64.png
    Screenshot_20220118-102917_AIDA64.png
    412.3 KB · Views: 74
Back