Suggest 32" LCD TV for around 35k

I've never bought a LCD TV but phillips has never let me down.
kaggarwal said:
I bought philips 5609 from croma 15 days back for Rs.35300( with free gift of lg 50DVD pack, samsung mobile bag, croma wrist watch, and yera glass tumbler set). one day later I checked the price from philips authorized dealer, it was 32k (3.5K for so called free goodies from croma).
USB plays all sd movies, even size more than 1gb. PQ for usb video is good. Normal cable with maximum noise reduction setting looks very good. I went to croma to buy lg 32LH60YR because of 5.1 surround sound but after looking at PQ of all brands found the philips to be best(even better than sony v series). all lg lcd have red hue and plasticly colors. philips has one of the simplest and clean (rounded) design among all lcd.

Hi All,

I am quite new here, I was planning on buying a 32" LCD (My budget is again around 35 -40k). From the looks of it, Philips 5609 seems an obvious choice.Before I buy,I just have one question though - Is there by any chance I can get a better LCD(in terms of value for money) if I can wait around 6 months or so.

Many Thanks,

Shankar

@ Nattu, the waiting game is always there in any electronics purchase. By that time there will always be a better model with better pricing. And then you will wait again for the prices to drop. It continues like this. In fact I waited for nearly 2 years like this before deciding to buy this model.

wts the price for 42inch Philips and LG? Is it worth to go for 42" LCD's? considering that 60% of time i will be watching Airtel DTH, will DTH look weird in 42" lcd?

tintumon said:
wts the price for 42inch Philips and LG? Is it worth to go for 42" LCD's? considering that 60% of time i will be watching Airtel DTH, will DTH look weird in 42" lcd?

42" philips 42pfl5609 is 50k at retailers and 58k at croma (if available).

I hear you neoronin, but my constraint is that I don't have a place big enough to put the LCD TV as I currently live in a small room in Bangalore. I planning to rent an apartment/house in 6 months time where I can place the TV and hence my query on the 6 months wait.But, if you can tell me that this is one of best TV out there for around 35k and in 6 months time I would not get any thing substantially different from now, I will take your word for it and make the purchase.

@ Nattu, my suggestion is to go for this model. 6 months down the line quite a lot of new models will definitely come. But there won't be enough difference in terms of image quality. Gimmicky features are the order of the day. My situation is not that different from you and even I would be shifting again to a new bigger place in 7 or 8 months. But at that time my expenses would be much more due to shifting. So better to purchase a model when you don't have any more commitments.

Point well made neoronin, I will be short strapped for cash at that point and a TV may not be really feasible. Once I get my salary this month end, I will call Griha Vaibhava to see how much of a price they are ready to offer.

Can you please pm me ur contact number so that I can contact you in case I need any help.

Thanks,

Shankar

Nattu said:
Point well made neoronin, I will be short strapped for cash at that point and a TV may not be really feasible. Once I get my salary this month end, I will call Griha Vaibhava to see how much of a price they are ready to offer.
Can you please pm me ur contact number so that I can contact you in case I need any help.
Thanks,
Shankar

just for the info sony will be launching new models next month,already launched in other countries in asia.

Thanks neoronin and adder for your responses, hopefully the sony ones are priced within my budget when they are launched.

Go ahead an buy the philips...LCD 5609..its a full HD TV with very simple yet stricking design....when you go to a showroom they generally try and sell sony, samsung and LG especially LG....i just stumbled upon this TV from Philips....and i asked him to play the same channel on DTH on a samsung, sonly, LG and this model of philips and honestly i liked philips the most though the salesman was trying to push samsung through..then i came back as i couldnt decide and checked the reviews...i read this article...showdown 32inch full HD TV and they had rated philips as the best...among these models followed by samsung and then sony V series.....this TV even won the GOTY(gadget of the year award) by either tech2.com or techtree.com(i dont recall which site was this on)

godsp33d said:
@neoronin

Im planning to get the philips LCD in a day or two.

wanted to know feedback about the movie playback via USB.

I bought the philips 5609 full HD 32inch in December and it is the only other TV apart from LG which plays Divx movies through USB though USB function is a standard these days...it is also the best 32 inch HD TV in the market today tough the salesman in electronic shops will try and sell samsung, lg or sony

godsp33d said:
^Im am buying the philips 5609 today for 34k from croma mulund :)

I bargained hard and told him that its available for that price outside.

@justin/neoronin
did u guys consider LG 32LG80FR?
It has the same features but better sound.

All these big retail stores like next, croma etc will not give philips 5609 for less an 34... i bought it for 32,800 in Dec from a normal dealer.

I am also in same boat and had demos of philips 5609 and Panasonic 32S10. the Panasonic are giving three year warranty and they got IPS panel too. I am confused between Philips and Panasonic. Any Panasonic owner around?

I saw this LCD at Chroma today and sadly Chroma has bloated the price to 37k! I think this one competes with the Samsung 5 series and the Sony Bravia S series. Not bad for the price.

Pankaj Badola said:
..i read this article...showdown 32inch full HD TV and they had rated philips as the best...among these models followed by samsung and then sony V series.....this TV even won the GOTY(gadget of the year award) by either tech2.com or techtree.com(i dont recall which site was this on)
the philips 5609 is no doubt good,but don't just fall for the tech2 reviews,tech2 reviews of the tv are crap.
have a look at this so called shootout in this review the samsung is the winner Tech2.com India > 32-inch LCD TV Shootout > Features > HiFi & TV > LCD
in this review the philips is the winner Tech2.com India > Top 3 Full HD 32-inch LCD TVs > Features > HiFi & TV > LCD

suprisingly the sony drawbacks as usual are mostly its price,where as in the samsung according to the reviews in tech2 has weak blacks yet wins in one test vs the philips but in another review it looses.

network 18 owns that website ,they also own chip magazine/av max another crap some of their reviews state that BIG tv STB are HD ready and come with a universal remote,well i have one and it doesn't have any.
they also fell for samsung LED marketing trick,they believed that the samsung B7000 LED lcd was a new tech,it was only after a reader who wrote a letter to them stating that the LED tvs are nothing but lcds,did they correct it and apologized for it.

I bought the philips 5609 full HD 32inch in December and it is the only other TV apart from LG which plays Divx movies through USB though USB function is a standard these days...it is also the best 32 inch HD TV in the market today tough the salesman in electronic shops will try and sell samsung, lg or sony
the philips for its price is no doubt good,if not the best.but it ain't the best 32" outhere the sony W550A and the samsung B6000 are still better in terms of performance.for SD content and contrast even the sony V550A is better but the price is so unattractive.

Congrats! Thats a steal! :clap:

MohitPreet said:
i just bought a 32 inch 32LG80FR , its good for its price , got it for 29000 through CSD!!!
Go for Phillips hands down! :cool2:

sanjaythegr8 said:
Getting Samsung 32" B530 for 32k, Philips 32" 5609 for 34.5k, LG 32" LF20FR for 29k, Toshiba RV600E - 30k, Panasonic X9 32" - 27k

sanjaythegr8 said:
Getting Samsung 32" B530 for 32k, Philips 32" 5609 for 34.5k, LG 32" LF20FR for 29k, Toshiba RV600E - 30k, Panasonic X9 32" - 27k

LG-32LF20FR is the best LCD TV among the lot you mention. On paper(specs), as well as in person(performance).

Back