Suggest 40-46" HDTV for Movies+Gaming

BIKeINSTEIN

Skilled
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I need to buy a TV for my parents/mom. Since TV is priority, i have to drop my plan of getting a IPS LCD monitor for gaming at home.[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]So i will have to use the same for gaming- primarily BF3 and other FPS games.[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I was considering buying a Sony 40CX520 but that is discontinued i think.[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The 40EX520 was 60K odd at a Croma outlet but i might be able to get a 46CX520 for 65K odd. (add another 3k-5k for extended warranty as per size)[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The 46EX520 is out of my budget and more so coz i don't feel like spending that much either honestly.[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Viewing distance is 8-10 feet tops. So am a bit confused if the 46 incher will appear grainy vs the 40.[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Another thing is the 46CX520 might draw twice as much power as the 40EX520 and sometimes my TV goes on for days- so was thinking of that too.[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Funnily the specs for 40EX520and 46EX720 say they consume almost the same but the 46EX520 is anyways too much for me to buy. I might be able to but i don't feel like spending that much truly.[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]But a 46 incher for 5k-8k more than a 40 incher, with almost all the features except the edgeLEDs is very tempting.
tongu23e.gif
[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Please help asap.[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Models i have taken a quick look at are-[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]VU 40" LCD - 30K approx (as is, looks a bit washed out compared t the Sony/Samsung next to it but skin tone looked pretty ok in the TV program it was playing)[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Sony 40EX520 - 60K approx[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]S[/font][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]ize:40-46"[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]1. Budget. : 40k-70k.

2. Viewing distance : 8-10 feet approx.

3. Input Sources: HTPC+Gaming PC, TataSKY, O!Play
, PS3(?)

4. Preference for TV: LCD TV/LED-LCD TV/Plasma : LCD, but edge-LED ones too maybe as they seem to consume half the power?

5. Preference for brands : Sony/Samsung/Panasonic/VU

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market? : No.

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room : Well Lit (prefer matte screen, strongly dislike glossy/shiny)

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc:

Do not need: 3D capabilities.

Want: Feature to avoid Ghosting, DLNA will be good (do suggest models with and without DLNA for options' sake pls)[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Should recognise PC Input via HDMI of graphics card properly (GPU used may vary from GTX580, HD7870, GTX670(?), ...)[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]P.S. Thanks to spacescreamer's post for the template.
happy19.gif
[/font]

At 10 feet you should go with a 46" but anything below 7 feet you can see the pixels.

The stated power ratings are the max power consumption,with max backlight settings and full volume and all usb ports being used.With optimum backlight settings the 46cx520 should consume less then 100watt .

The edge led 46"EX520 will consume only around 65watt at optimum backlight settings,but you have to calculate whether the price premium is worth the lower power consumption

Ghosting won't be an issue but the input lag will not be as good as a lcd monitor.As far as the supported resolutions http://esupport.sony.com/docs/imanual/NA/EN/EX720_UC/nt_connectpc_uconly_l.html If you reconsider the grey market option you can get the 46cx520 for a mere 46k to 48k and the 46EX520 for around 60k or less.

You can also consider the samsung D5xxx or the grey market models like EH5xxx,the samsung supports more resolution options.

#adder

Thank you very much indeed.
happy19.gif

I am so inclined towards that 46CX520 for HDmovie-vieweing and that price i think is coz it's EOL and has just seen a price-cut before it's phased out totally.

Plus i think i had read somewhere that CX520 is mostly S-PVA? and that LCD ones have warmer colours and preferable for movies compared to the colder/bluish-white edgeLED ones.

At 8-10 feet, will the 40EX520 appear sharper than the 46CX520?
54645.gif

Spending 60K for a 40" edgeLED doesn't feel so good, especially when if it's 65K for a 46" LCD with almost all the features of the former.

But if it is signifcantly sharper in PQ/IQ, then i might compromise over the size as it has to double up as my PC monitor too.

Also, any idea on VU?

If i am too confused, i just might get a VU to spend as less as possible.
<
It seems to be acceptably ok for general TV/movie stuff compared to other HDTVs at that pricepoint or lower.

edit: Samsung has so many models in the 40" category on flipkart.
<

I got a Toshiba AV series 40", I wouldn't go above that size for 8-10 feet when using non-HD sources. Colours are fine, processing is weak though black levels and colour accuracy is good enough for me. I use it for movies, TV series and the F1 races - pretty much my entire living room diet.

Cost me 32k at Flipkart, though they seemed to have hiked the prices since then.

The VU models are basic OEM stuff,which lacks in color accuracy and comes with cheaper SMVA panels so the contrast will be lacking compared to SPVA found in the CX520.

The price of CX520 has been cut buy 10%,so yes its part of clearance sale.This year there will be no more X-reality based CCFL- LCD only LED-LCD.

The LED do have a colder color because they are just not as warm as CCFL.But the 40EX520 will appear brighter ,then the 46cx520 due to which one might assume that the 40ex520 is sharper,the colder color of LED will again looks like as if its a bit sharper then a warmer lcd.

But if i where you i would go with the 46",trust me after a 2 months or so in your living room it will look like a 32".

In samsung the chances of getting a SPVA in series 5 LED and lcd are very slim.

In Sony the resolution supported in pc mode are less corrected link http://esupport.sony...c_uconly_l.html

i bought a 3d tv last week and it is simply amazing. consider getting it. totally worth it.

i got the samsung ps51e550 3d plasma full hd 51" (2 3d glasses) for 72k. colors are fantastic and i prefer them over led screens.

its a smart tv so everything is builtin. has lots of features and inbuilt wifi so you can connect it to your network at home without buying anything seperately.

In Sony the resolution supported in pc mode are less corrected link http://esupport.sony...c_uconly_l.html

Thanks a lot for the link.
happy19.gif
This is critical-

You can connect an HDMI-compatible PC with an HDMI cable.
  • HDTV* (Full HD model only)
  • - Horizontal (Pixel)/Vertical (Line): 1920/1080
  • - Horizontal frequency (kHz)/Vertical frequency (Hz): 67.5/60
  • - Standard: CEA-861*

* The 1080p timing when applied to the HDMI input will be treated as a video timing and not a PC timing. This will affect the [Preferences] and [Picture & Display] settings. To view PC content, set [Scene Select] to [Graphics], [Wide Mode] to [Full], and [Display Area] to [Full Pixel]. ([Display Area] is configurable only when [Auto Display Area] is set to [Off].)

I tried a Sony 46CX520 with HDMI input of a notebook PC with Intel graphics (older processor).

The desktop was going out of screen or was smaller in other modes. Not sure if i tried the very same settings on the TV as mentioned above- will check again if possible.

On a friend's year-old or older Samsung 32C530, we got a similar issue wjhen connected but then the TV displayed some 'screen fit/move' message and display seemed proper.

My friend was abusing Sony all the time for not being able to detect his WD Passport 500GB drive that not only works flawlessly on his Samsung 32" TV but even plays MKV, etc. Plus given the limited time and the sales guys at stores, we didn't manage to check further if there was some way to get the screen to fit on the Sony 46CX520.

Croma, Juhu flatly denied to let us test movies via USB HDD or HDMI input via PC on any of the models displayed on the wall, which means almost all the TVs displayed there. They also said that no settings on the LCD TVs on display could be changed, not even the channel- strictly DiscoveryHD.
indifferent14.gif

The Sony doesn't support MKV nor does it support NTFS formated HDD.

Regarding the desktop going out of screen press menu then go to settings >display > Screen> make sure Auto Display is "OFF" and then choose Display Area to " FULL PIXEL " .

#[member='BIKeINSTEIN']

Basic points between samsung v.s Sony.

Samsung TVs can on the fly support upto 1TB HDDs, formatted FAT, FAT32, NTFS. Plays almost all the formats without any problems in videos including mkv, flv, mp4 and whatever you throw at it.

So in short you can save a bit of spending you are thinking of for O! Play and increase your TV budget by the same amount.

If you go for Sony then you must buy a media player, which is useless if you are thinking of building a HTPC / PS3

Panels SPVA gives you best possible contrast and black reproduction, Sony and Samsung are by default caliberated for show room display so that they have more vibrant colours which is too colourful for me. You need to caliberate TV after installation at home.

If you can source / check SPVA panels on samsung go for it instead of sony that way you will save a bit more.

If you can afford go for 46 at 8 feet it wont show pixellation.

Aks #[member='Gannu'] to hunt a model for you
<
#[member='adder'] has done some nice input also.

Thanks guys- 46" was always kinda final except for a few doubts and not wanting to spend on the higher priced series.
happy19.gif

But it seems new range for 2012 is on it's way and these older series, primarily LCD ones which seem to be available with a price cut, might disappear soon.

Vijay sales didn't have Samsung, at least the Santacruz one from where we had got a 32" for a friend a year or so back and Croma, won't let user check., at least Juhu one

Let's see which other stores have what all on display. Since i can check during weekends only, this has taken way more time than i like.

Would have bought last weekend itself if i could have found and tested all brands under one roof.

BTW, any suggestions for 46" LCD in 55-65K?

I think Samsung 46D550K1R is the equivalent of Sony 46CX520?

One thing that seems going for Sony is that they will extend warranty to 3yrs overall for a charge of 5K for 46" and 3K for 40".

The only lcds are the 46D550 and 46CX520 both are going to be discontinued.They will be no more mid range CCFL-Lcds from both the companies ,in Sony the 2012 CCFL-Lcds are those which have the old BE3 like the BX450 its a OEM design .

Just wanted to add a small point about viewing distance.. We had temporarily placed our 40" Sony LCD in my parents room with eventual plans to shift it into the much larger living room. Now the temporary time period has extended to 8 months and the viewing distance is somewhere between 4-8 feet depending on where one sits. But no matter where we sit, even at around 4 feet, there is no visible loss in quality when watching 480p movies.. in normal cable, it does look bad, but with a set top box, even that looks better.

So, don't worry about viewing distance too much. Go for size. As Adder said -

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]But if i where you i would go with the 46",trust me after a 2 months or so in your living room it will look like a 32".[/font]

i bought a 3d tv last week and it is simply amazing. consider getting it. totally worth it.

i got the samsung ps51e550 3d plasma full hd 51" (2 3d glasses) for 72k. colors are fantastic and i prefer them over led screens.

its a smart tv so everything is builtin. has lots of features and inbuilt wifi so you can connect it to your network at home without buying anything seperately.

Can you post a review mate?

I am in the market for a LED/Plasma. Just waiting for panasonic to launch its 2012 plasma lineup.

Can you post a review mate?

I am in the market for a LED/Plasma. Just waiting for panasonic to launch its 2012 plasma lineup.

i doubt review will be possible. but if you have any query you can ask me.

i think you should go for this. this is the latest 2012 model. panasonic plasmas are also very good but they are priced much higher than this.

Bikey I have been using my 47" LG LED for the past 18 months & extremely satisfied. Colors & resolution is mind-blowing. My viewing distance is 6-10 feet.

Do consider LG and go to any LG-Shoppe & you can bargain like hell (LED Smart TV). Avoid Croma at all costs. LG give you 1" more than Samsung/Sony/Pana across all their sizes.

i doubt review will be possible. but if you have any query you can ask me.

i think you should go for this. this is the latest 2012 model. panasonic plasmas are also very good but they are priced much higher than this.

Here goes,

1. Viewing Distance?

2. Clarity/Noise Cancelation/Pixelation?

3. USB Media Support?

4. Is WLAN built-in or needs a dongle?

5. Comments on Plasma Fragility

6. Rating vs LED?

7. Are you worried about the 1 year warranty?

8. Audio Quality? (I would be buying Onkyo HT soon but until then...)

9. External looks (does it look dated?)

10. Ambient Light reflection. Does that cause any inconvenience?

Any other views.

TIA
<

@Bikey
I prefer you the 3D LED TV with some of these:-
1. LG 42 Inches 3D Full HD LED 42LW5700 42 Inches, 1920 X 1080p, Edge LED Technology, Rs. 72340
2. Samsung 51 Inch 3D Full HD Plasma TV PS51D550 Price in India is Rs. 68999/- the link for Specification - Samsung 51 Inch 3D Full HD Plasma TV PS51D550 Price in India on 2012 May. 18th, Specifications
3. LG Cinema 3D LED 42LW4500 Price in India is Rs. 69749/- the link for Specification - LG Cinema 3D LED 42LW4500 Price in India on 2012 May. 18th, Specifications
4. LG 42 Inch 3D Full HD LED TV 42LW5700 Price in India is Rs. 72982/- the link for Specification - LG 42 Inch 3D Full HD LED TV 42LW5700 Price in India on 2012 May. 18th, Specifications
5. Samsung 51 Inches 3D Full HD Plasma PS51D550 51 Inches, 1920 X 1080p, 4 HDMI Port, Rs. 71250 For specification - 3D TV Price list in India 2012 | indianprices.info
Hope this will help you to buy a good LED Tv for your family. Cheers

Back